Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dughters Computer

(!)

Member with 29 posts.

07-Jan-2003, 03:30 AM #1
Question Dughters Computer
Hi, I am having problems with my Daughters computer.It is a compaq presario model 2230. It had a 2gig hardrive. The problem is this, she was having problems and it would not boot and when she turned it on a message would come up Invalid System Disk replace the disk and press any key to continue, she checked to make sure there was no disk in driver and then pressed a key but nothing happened. I tried booting her computer with a boot disk I had for mine and could not get anywhere. I thought the hardrive may be full and decided to change it for a larger one I have. it is a Quantum fireball CR 8.4 gig series 3.5. I fitted it into her computer and I get the following message. If I turn it on and let it continue I get a message Operating system not found I then hit enter and the only other message to come up is Invalide partition table. Then I restart it and when the compaq Icon comes up I hit F10 and that then brings me a window up with F1 to boot and F10 to enter setup. It does not mater which I push or if I leave it as all that then comes up is Pheonix bios set up which has across the top Main Advance Boot Exit. In main it seems to recognise the hardrive as it has its size and sectors etc. As I am a novice I don't know what to do from there. A bit more imformation on the computers and hardware is as follows. My daughters computer was bought second hand and has no software, it has windows SE on it although it started of with windows 95. It had no boot disk and we unfortunately did not make one. The newer hardrive was mine and came out of my system and as it has not been formatted as I can't and don't know how to has a lot of stuff from my computer on it. I have made a boot disk from the web for windows 95 98 and 98SE but cant get them to work so with all this imformation can anyone help me. I have done a simple course on Building a computer but my knowledge is not great. Regards Kim.
Member with 9,397 posts.

Experience: Tweedle-Dee
07-Jan-2003, 05:15 AM #2
good mornig kdalzell and welcome to T.S.G.

how did you set the jumpers on the hard drives?
it sounds like the comp is trying to boot into the fireball,thats why it cant find the operating system.
i would take out the 2nd drive and set the 2 gig one up as master......the reason for your original problem is not because its too full...we should try to get back into windows with just the one drive for now.......then add the 2nd when all is fine.
when it was booting ok.......on post do you know what was set in bios as 1st boot device?......i would make sure its set as hd1.

try this and come back and post your result.

good luck
Member with 29 posts.

07-Jan-2003, 06:38 AM #3
Question Daughters computer
Hi, Thanks Steve for your Quick responce, I did not put a second hardrive in as there was not enough space so I changed the hardrive and pulled out the original to put in the Quantum Fireball. I could change it and put the old one back but unfortunately the problem that we had to start with would be there and because my daughter wanted a larger hardrive I bit the bullet as so often is said and thought I could install the new one and that would solve both problems but alas I can't get the new drive to work, so I am open for suggestions of what to do next. regards Kim
Senior Member with 743 posts.

07-Jan-2003, 06:08 PM #4
I agree with Steve - it would be best if you could get the computer running on the original drive first if possible. I would save some grief later.

You say you have a boot disk from the web - can you go to dos and then to an A: prompt and read it's contents? (a:dir\p) If so the floppy appears to be working properly and my guess is the computer has a problem with what is sees on the hard drive. You might do as steve said and check the boot sequence in set-up to be sure that is looks first to the floppy and then to your hard drive. (I have never heard of a problem with that sequence but if you have the time [since you are already biting bullets] you could also try to have the computer look first to the hard drive for boot info in case there is some weird paranormal aberation with the floppy signal back to the CPU. Just remember to set it back when you are done trying it)

Does the computer recognize a CD Rom drive? Not just in the BIOS but can you access it!

If a boot disk can't be used to bring up windows I would think the next step would be to still assume the hard drive itself is good and look at reinstalling windows on it.

Consider then, that if you choose instead to switch to another master drive and use this one as your secondary, you will have your files but have to reload programs - and if your daughters computer has as much as my son's that could take a long time. If that is not a problem and you choose to go that route you will have to format the larger drive and then load windows on it and proceed from there. (the new drive must be jumpered as a master remember)

Play around and give us some more information or new questions.

Last edited by CastleHeart; 07-Jan-2003 at 06:17 PM..
Member with 29 posts.

07-Jan-2003, 06:41 PM #5
Question Daughters Computer
Hi, Tis me again, in answer to Castleheart, Unfortunately as I do not know a great deal about the workings and lingo in and about computers I am running a bit blind. as in my second note to Steve I checked the sequence and have floppy first then hardrive and last CD When I try a CD it runs continuesly but that is all nothing happens on the screen. In fact I cannot do anything to the screen except get what I have already mentioned. As I also noted there is not enough room to have 2 hardrives in the computer so that is why I ousted the small one, thinking with the boot disk I could reboot and then reformat the drive and start from scratch. Questions, could the floppy drive be the problem and that is why it is misreading, although it appears to work when I insert the Boot disk. As I have never rebooted from a floppy before I do not know what to expect, again I am open to suggestions and if it best to put in the existing hardrive and start again I will but that will lead to the 1st question what to do to get my daughters computer running and to get past the invalid sytem disk window.???
Regards Kim.
Account Disabled with 4,888 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jan-2003, 07:03 PM #6
Arrow Re: Boot Errors With Original HDD
With the orginal HDD installed and jumpered correctly, if you changed the jumpers ealier, restart with a Win98 Startup disk in the [A] drive; at the [A] prompt type, sys c:, and strike the Enter key.

If you can't get a Startup Disk to work - the ones you downloaded off the net, make one one a clean virus-free computer in the Add/Remove Programs controil panel:

Use a freshly formatted floppy - full format not Quick Erase.

To create a startup disk

Open Add/Remove Programs properties in Control Panel.
Click the Startup Disk tab, and then click Create Disk.
Follow the instructions on the screen.
Notes

Another way to open Control Panel is to click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. If you don't see the item you want, click view all Control Panel options.
To make a startup disk, you will need one floppy disk with at least 1.2 megabytes (MB) capacity.
When you insert the startup disk in your computer before restarting, the computer gets its startup instructions from that disk rather than the hard disk.

The new HDD had to be partitioned and formatted before it's used or you will get the same OS not found error.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!