Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to keep unauthorized people from logging on my computer ?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

23-Jul-2003, 02:23 PM #1
Question How to keep unauthorized people from logging on my computer ?
Hi People,
can someone PLEASE tell me how to keep unauthorized people from using my computer ? I went to 'users' - put in passwords for my wife and me - but when you turn the computer on and the box comes up - if you push 'cancel' - the desktop comes on anyway - then anyone can STILL use it- how can I stop this ?
Thanks.
Jackjet
Senior Member with 2,246 posts.

Experience: all around tinkerer
23-Jul-2003, 02:39 PM #2
2 options for you as microsoft security is a joke

first you may have a boot password option in your bios, which means you have to type a password after you hit the power button. this is the best because if you loose pasword all you do is clear cmos

second there are third party apps that can install them selves to boot before windows. or right when windows boots. if you lose the password you reformat losing all data

23-Jul-2003, 02:41 PM #3
Post Password in bios ?
Sir,
will you please tell me exactly how to do this ?

Thanks.
Jackjet
Member with 3,517 posts.

23-Jul-2003, 03:00 PM #4
My computer is on 24\7 so I password the screensaver. Don't like using a screensaver but keeps nosey people out

23-Jul-2003, 03:07 PM #5
Question Password in bios ?
I shut the computer off - went to the bios screen up on start up - looked everywhere for the 'boot password' - cannot find it - do you know where it is ?
Thanks.
Jackjet

23-Jul-2003, 08:04 PM #6
not every computer has this
Member with 11,942 posts.

23-Jul-2003, 08:12 PM #7
This works to lock the casual user out of Windows. I use it on PCs at my workplace running W95/98/ME and it works well.

Click on Start>Find>Files, key in *.pwl and press enter. Now right click on any and all .pwl files found and select delete for each one.

Now click on Start>Settings>CP>Network. In the box labeled "Primary Network Logon", change it to "Client for Microsoft Networks". Click on OK. Follow the prompts to restart. When it restarts you'll be prompted for a user and password. Put in what ever you want to use for a UserID and Password and click on OK. You'll still be able to get around it til you do this next step and then you'll have to have a valid userid id and password to access Windows in Normal mode.

Now do this to force a valid userid and password at startup, click on Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter.

Now in the Left pane double left click on each one of these.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon

Now Right click in the Right pane and choose New>BinaryValue. Name it MustBeValidated

Then right click on it and select Modify. Give it a value of 01 00 00 00

Now restart the PC and you'll see nothing gets you by the logon box any longer except the valid userid and password.

BTW, I attached an image of the registry entry in case you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
How to keep unauthorized people from logging on my computer ?-mustbevalidated.jpg  
Member with 57 posts.

24-Jul-2003, 09:21 PM #8
There you go, someone who knows something about logon.
See my message about "User Selection" box, Please.
I'm not A retentive, don't have kids, and nothing to hide.
And, as you said, windows security is a joke.
I'm talking, not about "Windows Logon" but about the &^%$#@
"User Selection" box that pops up after Desktop is loaded in
Win98. As you said, you can just OK or Cancel it and get by.
I'm real interested in some Regedit'ing to get rid of this STUPID
box.
Member with 72 posts.

24-Jul-2003, 09:31 PM #9
A little late, but still
I was gathering this information for a coworker just the other day... hope you got what you needed.

http://users.adelphia.net/~ksiemb/siemtech_alert.html (this sounded good to me)
http://www.bootguard.com/ (this sounded good, too)
http://www.doshare.com/ (this will hide specific files, which might be good)

24-Jul-2003, 10:09 PM #10
my brother tried bootgaurd, worked great till he for got password
Member with 33 posts.

15-Aug-2004, 11:30 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
This works to lock the casual user out of Windows. I use it on PCs at my workplace running W95/98/ME and it works well.

Click on Start>Find>Files, key in *.pwl and press enter. Now right click on any and all .pwl files found and select delete for each one.

Now click on Start>Settings>CP>Network. In the box labeled "Primary Network Logon", change it to "Client for Microsoft Networks". Click on OK. Follow the prompts to restart. When it restarts you'll be prompted for a user and password. Put in what ever you want to use for a UserID and Password and click on OK. You'll still be able to get around it til you do this next step and then you'll have to have a valid userid id and password to access Windows in Normal mode.

Now do this to force a valid userid and password at startup, click on Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter.

Now in the Left pane double left click on each one of these.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon

Now Right click in the Right pane and choose New>BinaryValue. Name it MustBeValidated

Then right click on it and select Modify. Give it a value of 01 00 00 00

Now restart the PC and you'll see nothing gets you by the logon box any longer except the valid userid and password.
I tried this, and there's only one problem. I have no domain on which to log, and therefore no way to validate the password. I am essentially locked out of my computer now. I've tried every domain from "LOCALHOST" to the computer's ID name to the Workgroup name, and I still cannot log on.

Good thing there's Safe Mode, or I'd be royally screwed.
Senior Member with 2,187 posts.

Experience: ....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
16-Aug-2004, 02:27 PM #12
bump...
can someone aid Tombstone further?..... he's in a pickle
Member with 11,942 posts.

24-Aug-2004, 06:31 PM #13
Sorry to hear you had problems. I just stumbled upon this thread while searching for something else. Anyway, just boot into SafeMode and delete the registry key, change the Network back to Windows Logon, delete the .pwl files and reboot back into Normal mode. You should be fine after that.

As far as the issue you're having, I don't have a Windows 9x PC available any longer to test on so I'm not sure why you're having a problem. I know it works with non-networked PC's because I used it on many PC's and never had a Domain issue and they weren't networked. I'll try to get access to one in a day or two and figure out what's happening to you.

Last edited by Bryan; 24-Aug-2004 at 06:37 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!