Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Annoying error message..........grrr....snort

(!)

Member with 62 posts.

09-Sep-2003, 06:54 PM #1
Angry Annoying error message..........grrr....snort
Seems like when I close a web page or a program, there more than a few times appears a box with "-------- has caused an error in <unknown> and will now close. If the problem continues, try restarting your computer" Now, the blanks can be filled by any number of programs I may have on my puter, but the end result is always the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,whenever I "close" it, the desktop appears. I generally leave my processor on all night and shut off my monitor, but I've seen in the mornings a ton of these messages, including the name of the screensaver, CD creator, wmgt, audio cd, etc..........even a dll or two. please advise........if asked, i would gladly submit my start up programs to see if there is a problem there.,,,thanks in advance.
Member with 1,230 posts.

10-Sep-2003, 03:20 PM #2
It sounds like the sign of a bad MEMORY STICK (RAM).
Have you changed one lately?
Or been inside your computer and maybe bumped one loose?
Or maybe it is just going bad.

If you can get one from another compatible computer and replace it, to see if that fixes your problem before buying it, you can troubleshoot it that way. Just make sure the timing is the same PC133, PC100 ect... and SDRAM, DDRAM ect...

Or if you have TWO installed, remove one and see if that fixes it. If it don't, put that one back in and take the other one out and see if that works. Just make sure they are seated properly. They should snap in good and snug. (Don't break them though)
Member with 379 posts.

10-Sep-2003, 06:10 PM #3
If you feel that you are running too many un-necessary background programs and would like us to help you determine which ones you rather start manually rather than start up automatically when you reboot your computer, then submit all the file names in your Startup and will let you know what they do. Then you can determine if you want them to start automatically or not.
Senior Member with 1,234 posts.

10-Sep-2003, 08:44 PM #4
Sounds like good advice.

You can look at this M/S site to see if you find anything:

http://support.microsoft.com/support...g/emresctr.asp
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!