Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Files and folders display in reverse alphabetical order

(!)

Junior Member with 21 posts.

03-Oct-2003, 02:53 AM #1
I'm running Windows ME, and I've had my computer for about 2 years now. About 2 months ago, when I tried to look at my files or folders through different programs (Windows Media Player, Winamp, AIM, etc) the files started only displaying in reverse alphabetical order. Even when I try and arrange the files by name, or auto arrange them, they still stay in reverse alphabetical order. Any ideas how I can resolve this? Thanks for your help!
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 8,920 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Oct-2003, 05:34 AM #2
Change to DETAIL view and click on the NAME(or for different sort any) header. It switches between ascending and descending
Senior Member with 743 posts.

03-Oct-2003, 10:04 AM #3
And what a ***** that can be, eh mierk!

Are your files listed before your folders too ?

I don't have ME but I went through that for a long time. Having to go allllllllllll the way to the bottom of the window to get to my folders! It finally was solved with Spybot - I think!

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...hreadid=131194

- Castleheart
Junior Member with 21 posts.

06-Oct-2003, 02:27 AM #4
Castleheart -- that is exactly the problem I've got. I installed Spybot and also tried the fix contained in the link you posted, but neither worked. Any other ideas?
Senior Member with 743 posts.

06-Oct-2003, 10:23 AM #5
Meirk.... the problem here is that something I was working on cured the problem but I wasn't sure what. I had given up and wasn't going to reinstall W98. Then while attacking other problems it was cured.

I will go back and look at what was done, But it was basically a Spybot - Registry clean-up - CWS shredder thing. I am not sure I did anything else in that time frame but I will go back and look. If I can find out more I will let you know. Make sure your spybot is up-to-date.

FYI: Strangely enough, my PC was networked to another PC and if I searched drives on that PC via the network it's files were all listed correctly. And once I installed another drive temporarily to make some ghost copies - and my PC would look at C drive inverted but the D drive showed correctly!

It was frustrating in folders such as windows or folders that you used to go into and there was the folder you needed right on the top and now you had to go to the bottom. I about wore out my Page down button!

Later,

- Castleheart

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jan-2007, 02:27 PM #6
I'm new to this site so not sure how to approach my question. An old question (2002) that matches my problem exists but the solutions posted don't seemed to have worked consistently.
I have Windows ME, no spybot software and recently downloaded RegCure software and ran it. Ever since then all of my application software in response to "Open a File" displays the files and/or folders in reverse alphabetical order. The user interface to Windows Explorer works fine. Therefore it seems to be some sort of problem with the "call interface" used by application software and possibly a Registry setting problem since the problem started right after I ran RegCure. Can anyone help with this?
Is posting a question as a response to an old forum question the correct approach?
Member with 6,052 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 02:36 PM #7
SCBob,
You might try a system restore to a date before you ran the cleaner.
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2007, 12:02 PM #8
Thanks for the suggestion to use System Restore. I use Norton AV/Firewall software which isn't compatible with System Restore. Every time I tried to restore the system it crashed Norton security software requiring a removal and reinstall along with a long download of all the updates. Before I installed Norton software I tried using the System Restore several times with little success in resolving problems.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,932 posts.

28-Jan-2007, 12:10 PM #9
When you run RegCure does it create a backup of what was deleted? If it does try to restore the backup.
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2007, 01:33 PM #10
Thanks for the suggestion stantley. Tried restoring the very first Registry backup and that didn't fix the problem either.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,932 posts.

28-Jan-2007, 01:43 PM #11
Maybe this:

Backing up the Windows ME registry

Like its predecessor, Microsoft Windows ME also includes the scanreg utility. This utility automatically makes backups of the registry each time the computer boots.

Restoring the Windows ME registry

To restore an earlier version of the registry a user can click Start, Run, and type scanreg /restore to restore the registry. If you are unable to get into Windows this can also be done through safe mode. Additional information on how to get into safe mode can be found in document CHSAFE.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!