Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

keyboard problems - letter skipping


(!)

k-lynne's Avatar
k-lynne k-lynne is offline
Junior Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Portland, OR
31-Jan-2000, 02:14 AM #1
I have a GenuineIntel Pentium and using Windows 98. I have a continuous problem with skipping letters and spaces. I used a new keyboad - same problem. After reading the posting of 10/99, I reinstalled the keyboard driver and the problem was corrected for about 1 hour!! Help!
his iswhat th entences lok ike when I don't fix them! It takes a ong tie to wite thi wa!
Prismjohn's Avatar
Prismjohn Prismjohn is offline
Member with 68 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: London UK
01-Feb-2000, 11:57 AM #2
I notice you say that it is ok for about an hour. Is there a program that you are using that is triggering this event?

Reload the drivers again until you are sure all is ok and working then open - use - and close each application in turn until the problem repeats itself, once you have identified the program (if indeed this is the cause) then repeat the process but open the programs in a different order (you will need to note the order that you opened the programs in).
This is going to be a long process but hopefully it may help you find the cause.
k-lynne's Avatar
k-lynne k-lynne is offline
Junior Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Portland, OR
03-Feb-2000, 01:26 AM #3
Thank you for your nice reply. This only seems to be happening when I am online..so now what?
Thanks, Lynne

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Prismjohn:
I notice you say that it is ok for about an hour. Is there a program that you are using that is triggering this event?

Reload the drivers again until you are sure all is ok and working then open - use - and close each application in turn until the problem repeats itself, once you have identified the program (if indeed this is the cause) then repeat the process but open the programs in a different order (you will need to note the order that you opened the programs in).
This is going to be a long process but hopefully it may help you find the cause.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

k-lynne's Avatar
k-lynne k-lynne is offline
Junior Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Portland, OR
08-Feb-2000, 04:03 AM #4
I am still having the same problems, but seesm to only happen online. Could it be my browser? I am using netscape. Would downloading a newer version be a good idea?
Paul Nagel's Avatar
Senior Member with 1,843 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: AA, Mi. USA
08-Feb-2000, 04:15 AM #5
There was a recent post concerning a computer droping the letter x and the solution was that a program had been downloaded and when the user was prompted to regester the program, it was declined. The errors went away after the program was deleted. This was also found to be a problem for another poster in the same string. Just a thought, did you load any programs just within about 1 month before this problem arose. Not all people who create small programs cand do so without creating other errors.
Mulderator's Avatar
Member with 51,021 posts.
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
08-Feb-2000, 12:45 PM #6
k-lynne, your idea of downloading an updated browser is a good one. I would also try deleting and re-creating your dial-up connection.
k-lynne's Avatar
k-lynne k-lynne is offline
Junior Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Portland, OR
09-Feb-2000, 01:52 AM #7
Paul, I did download a program called PassLogix v-go, a universal password program. I bypassed it tonight and don't seem to be having a keyboard probelm, so you may have something here. i am going to uninstall it. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Nagel:
There was a recent post concerning a computer droping the letter x and the solution was that a program had been downloaded and when the user was prompted to regester the program, it was declined. The errors went away after the program was deleted. This was also found to be a problem for another poster in the same string. Just a thought, did you load any programs just within about 1 month before this problem arose. Not all people who create small programs cand do so without creating other errors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul Nagel's Avatar
Senior Member with 1,843 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: AA, Mi. USA
09-Feb-2000, 03:49 AM #8
I thought that it was an unusual situation the first time i read it in a previous post, but 2 people reported similar problems. Downloading an updated browser is a good idea also, especially IE5.01 as it has a repair option in case something goes wrong. Please keep us posted as to weither the solution actually worked over a perion of time. I am especially curious about these types of problems.
Ted Bieri's Avatar
Ted Bieri Ted Bieri is offline
Junior Member with 22 posts.
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
02-Oct-2004, 09:43 PM #9
Skipping keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-lynne
I have a GenuineIntel Pentium and using Windows 98. I have a continuous problem with skipping letters and spaces. I used a new keyboad - same problem. After reading the posting of 10/99, I reinstalled the keyboard driver and the problem was corrected for about 1 hour!! Help!
his iswhat th entences lok ike when I don't fix them! It takes a ong tie to wite thi wa!
--------------------------------------------------
I just found this old post but it describes perfectly the prblem I am having as you can see from this message there are letters missing but only on line. I'm running XP sp2 any one had this happen?

Last edited by Ted Bieri; 03-Oct-2004 at 12:28 PM..
aimeelou's Avatar
aimeelou aimeelou is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Leicester, England
Experience: Beginner
15-Dec-2006, 06:19 PM #10
Yes, I too am having the same problems with my keyboard. However, I'm also having problems when I type in MS Word as well. Looking back, I think this problem coincided with me updating my Internet Explorer (advised in windows update). Could that have something to do with it?
kiwiguy's Avatar
Member with 17,584 posts.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Zealand
16-Dec-2006, 03:14 AM #11
I would doubt it, but it is easy to see, just go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - select Windows Internet Explorer y and Uninstall (you will revert to IE6 then)
aimeelou's Avatar
aimeelou aimeelou is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Leicester, England
Experience: Beginner
16-Dec-2006, 03:34 PM #12
Thanks Kiwiguy.

Actually, it worked. I don't know how or why - but as soon as I uninstalled IE7 all was well and my keyboard is no longer misbehaving!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Title Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keyboard problems pharmgirl69 Hardware 5 26-Jul-2005 01:32 PM
Solved: Drive letter assignment problems with ghosted drive jmc Windows XP 12 09-Jun-2005 02:28 PM
keyboard problems help tracysue10 All Other Software 1 13-May-2005 09:04 AM
Solved: USB Keyboard & P/S mouse problems after upgrade from ME to Win2K KC_AT Hardware 8 19-Jan-2005 06:05 AM
Keyboard problems Nester Hardware 3 05-Jun-2004 11:33 AM

WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑