Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to delete a Windows System Folder

(!)

Junior Member with 14 posts.

26-Aug-2000, 02:47 PM #1
I don't have Earthlink anymore. I've uninstalled Earthlink and yet I have this Earthlink 5.0 system folder in my Program Files dir that says I can't delete it because it's required for windows to run properly. Yeah, right. I want to delete it. How can I do this short of reformatting?

Thanks!
Member with 11,942 posts.

26-Aug-2000, 03:29 PM #2
Well it may be that it's got pieces for InternetExplorer in it but if you insist. First right click on the folder and select properties. On the properties screen you will see the "MSDos name". Write it down. It's probably Earthl~1

Now restart the PC and keep pressing F8 during boot. You will get a startup menu. Choose the option for "Command Prompt Only". At the prompt type in the following command assuming the msdos name for the folder is earthl~1

cd progra~1
deltree earthl~1

It will ask you to verify the deletion of the folder and all of items contents. Enter a Y and press enter. It's now permanently gone and I emphasize permanently. It's does not put it in the recycle bin.

Now type in

cd \
win

That will restart Windows.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 08-26-2000).]
Member with 137 posts.

26-Aug-2000, 03:36 PM #3
Note the path of the folder, then restart your computer in MS-DOS mode. You should be at a C:\>, or C:\Windows> prompt. For example, to dump a folder on C:\, in the Program Files folder, named Junk Items, plus everything in it, type at the prompt (using DOS 8/3 notation):

C:\Windows>RD /S c:\progra~1\junkit~1

RD is the Remove Directory command, and the /S tells it to remove all directories and files, in addition to the directory itself.

Be careful with commands like this in DOS, they carry a lot of power. Also, you may now get an "Unable to find...." on boot-up, as there may be a call to load a file that was in this folder. If so, open Start, Run, Regedit, Edit, Find, and put the filename in the search window. Delete any keys that have this name.

Gee! Looks like I out-slowed you again, bhesson!

[This message has been edited by Jim Holly (edited 08-26-2000).]
Junior Member with 14 posts.

27-Aug-2000, 06:57 PM #4
That worked - Thanks! ANd the system still works! Amazing!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!