Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

mouse cursor replaced by black box...

(!)

Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Jun-2004, 06:20 PM #1
Question mouse cursor replaced by black box...
I installed Windows 98 SE on my computer, but my mouse cursors were replaced by a big, black sqaure with stripes running through it. I went to the Control Panel to select a new cursor scheme under the Pointers menu but my standard windows cursors were missing. I downloaded a new cursors scheme off the microsoft website and although this fixed the cursor in the majority of places, the black box still appears when I hover the mouse over web links and also in programs such as Paint. How can I get rid of this problem and, if possible, get the standard windows cursor scheme back?
Account Disabled with 4,888 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jun-2004, 02:15 AM #2
Arrow RE: Troubleshooting
Do the on-line virus scan and, get the free firewall Sygate if you do not have one installed, by clicking the colored links below.

Cure Your Ills With the System File Checker
Windows 98

When you're having trouble with Windows 98--and who doesn't at some point--you might want to try a little-known utility called the System File Checker. Close all open programs and go to Run in the Start menu. Type sfc and click OK.
Check the Scan For Altered Files radio button and click Start. SFC will look for files that have been corrupted. If it finds any, you can use it to extract clean versions of the files directly from your installation disk.

Or

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!