Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

the sound appears to play but I do not hear anything.

(!)

Member with 68 posts.

19-Sep-2000, 11:26 PM #1
The sound appears to play but I don't here anything. I have all the drivers and everything but when I go into sounds and try to play a sound it shows that it is playing but, I donot hear anything, the samething happens when I try to play a CD.
Can somebody please help me, I really need to fix the sound. Please help, THANX.
Senior Member with 1,843 posts.

20-Sep-2000, 08:49 AM #2
Have you checked the Volume controls via the speaker icon in the taskbar?
Member with 68 posts.

20-Sep-2000, 11:02 AM #3
Ys, everything is set the way it is supposed to be, it's just that when I play a sound I can't hear it.Itshows that it is playing but, I don't hear anything.The speakers are plugged in and everythingis connected it's just I don't hear anything. Please tell me how to fix it.
Senior Member with 546 posts.

20-Sep-2000, 11:38 AM #4
Not to be funny but is the power to the speakers on? Was the sound working before? When was the last time you heard sound come out of your speakers? What was the last thing you did before your speakers stop working? also try something else out. Try to plus in a head set to the cd rom to see if you could hear music. Then try to plug it into the back where the speaker suppose to be to see if you can hear music or not either. That way you can determine if the sound card is still good or not.

Let us know what you get when you try these test.
Member with 68 posts.

20-Sep-2000, 02:43 PM #5
Like I said before, the speakers are hooked up and they are on, and I plugged in a headset but, it didn't make any difference.Does anybody else have any ideas.
Member with 36 posts.

20-Sep-2000, 03:57 PM #6
MAYBE!
it could be that ur sound card
isn't all the way into the socket.
u know what i mean?

also try playin with ur hardware accelerator
functions.
Sometimes lowering them or upping them to can make a world of difference.
have u checked if there is a conflict with irq'a, or rather programs u have running.
Senior Member with 3,004 posts.

20-Sep-2000, 05:14 PM #7
Double click the speaker icon again and make sure all the sliders are pushed all the way up. Then click on advanced and make sure the settings are correct.

------------------
Search Microsoft for Answers

Windows 98 Info

Using Windows 98...A How To Guide

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 09-20-2000).]
Member with 11,942 posts.

20-Sep-2000, 07:05 PM #8
If your sure all of the volume controls are up then remove the sound card and all of the devices under it and let Windows reinstall them and the drivers. They could have become corrupted. That is not at all uncommon with Windows.

Restart Windows and keep pressing F8 during the bootup. A menu should appear. Use SafeMode option to start Windows. Once windows starts in SafeMode do this, Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager. Click on the "+" next to "Sound, Video and Game Controllers". Right click on each of the devices that appear underneath it and select Remove. Restart Windows in Normal mode and let it reinstall them. Now see if you have sound.

BTW, make a note of the name of each device you remove in case you need the drivers later though you should be fine.
Member with 36 posts.

21-Sep-2000, 03:04 AM #9
one more thing u should check...it simple.
In the volume controls...you will notice under the volume control that there is a check box that if checked will mute your sound.
all the other volume controls EX: line-in, wave, microphone, cd-audio..etc also have these check boxes at the bottom.

check off all of them, except for the 1st volume control check box(a.k.a master volume).

that is unless they are already checked off to begin with.

RECAP:
all but the first volume control should be selected( be checked off).
Member with 68 posts.

21-Sep-2000, 03:43 PM #10
I went into safe mode and I deleted the drivers for sound, video ,game controllers
and then I restarted my computer and now I have no sound, video, game controllers device
in my device manager tab. please help me get my drivers back.
Member with 11,942 posts.

21-Sep-2000, 06:13 PM #11
When you restarted the PC did you see Windows reinstalling anything? Did anything appear on the screen reading "Windows has found a new device ..."?

When you goto Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager and click on the "+" next to "Sound, Video .." is anything listed underneath it at all?

What were the names of the devices you wrote down before you removed them. If the devices were not redetected at all during the startup then you might try Start>Settings>CP>AddNewHardware though it is very strange that they were not at least redetected at startup. I can see where may be the drivers were not found but the devices should have been detected.

BTW, I have seen some very rare times when you'll need to remove the sound card and restart Windows. Then shut it down, reinsert the sound card and restart Windows. That may "jump start" the detect but like I said it's extremely rare occurance. Try the AddNewHardware option before you do anything.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 09-21-2000).]
Member with 68 posts.

21-Sep-2000, 09:54 PM #12
I got all the devices back on except I still get no sound. When I go into the CP and then go into sounds I try to play a sound it looks like it is playing but I don't hear anything. My speakers are hooked up plugged in truned on and everything is fine. How do I fix this problem. Another problem I have is that I don't knonw how to restore my mixer settings, I have a recovery disc that does it for me, but the computer keeps freezing when I put the disc in and try to restore the mixer settings. Can somebody help me out with these problems please. Thankyou.
Senior Member with 546 posts.

22-Sep-2000, 08:30 AM #13
How old is that sound card? Have you check to see if the sound card is seated ok? Or is this sound card intergrated to the board? What kind of sound card is it? What program are you using to play the CD?
Junior Member with 3 posts.

22-Sep-2000, 09:04 AM #14
hi, i have the same problem with my sister's comp. the sound was fine & everything, then yesterday the computer crashed & now i can't hear a thing although when i checked, the configurations are alright. i tried the cd-rom & winamp, & they seemed to work fine, but no sound.
Member with 68 posts.

22-Sep-2000, 11:20 AM #15
My soundcard is a soundblaster pro, I don't know how old, it might be about three years old I guess and It is integrated and put in correctly, I use the CD player to Listen to my CD's.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!