Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how do i test cpu fan

(!)

Member with 162 posts.

20-Nov-2000, 04:53 PM #1
hi
i suspect my fan is not working as i dont hear it whirring as it did when new. my pc keeps hanging. how can i test if it is the fan?
adrian
Member with 824 posts.

20-Nov-2000, 05:51 PM #2
why not just take oof the case, and turn on your cpomputer!?
Look for the cpu fan!!
Senior Member with 3,004 posts.

21-Nov-2000, 01:41 AM #3
And if the fan is not running don't run your computer until it's fixed or you'll fry your processor.

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 11-21-2000).]
Member with 162 posts.

21-Nov-2000, 06:45 PM #4
hi kento
i need help here. i've thought it was the fan for quite some time now, probably a few months.
if i use it without the fan and you say it would fry, then will the damage now be done?
i still use the pc. i dont have any problems in a daily basis like in word etc, but when i play a game it starts to freeze.
could it still be the fan?
if it is how do i find out exactly what replacement i need for it without sending the machine into a shop. is it easy to replace the fan myself?
adrian
Senior Member with 3,004 posts.

21-Nov-2000, 07:31 PM #5
Did it freeze when new? AMD processors are known to overheat and freeze the system.

Sure it could be the fan. It may still be working but it may not be spinning as fast as when new which is why it may sound quieter. It may be working well enough to keep the cpu cool for ordinary use but when you try to play a graphics intense game which puts more load on the processor the fan may not be able to cool it sufficiently. When the processor overheats your system will freeze until it cools back down. You had better check it. Since they're pretty cheap to replace you may want to just do that if you think the fan is bad. Unplug your computer and open the case and remove it. Make sure you are grounded before you touch anything inside the case. Keep touching the metal frame to ground yourself when you're in there. A static electric charge can damage your internals. Take the fan out and take it to a shop and tell them you'd like a replacement. If you're weary about doing it yourself then take it to a professional.
Member with 162 posts.

22-Nov-2000, 11:45 AM #6
hi kento
thanks
good clear concise advice. i like that. ill do it.
thanks
adrian
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!