Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

computer freezes and cant Ctrl Alt Del

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

25-Jul-2004, 06:07 PM #1
computer freezes and cant Ctrl Alt Del
My computer will freeze on me for no apparent reason. Smetimes I am online for 20 min, or sometimes like now up to 2 hrs and it has not frozen once. Othertimes I am working on a word document.
I am using Woindows 98
When it freezes while using the internet I am using Net Zero Dial up.
I thought it might phone calls coming in that might freeze it, but we tested that it is not so.
The overheating idea sounds good, but why would it happen sometimes and not all times.
If anyone has any support on why this could happen,please let me know.
Thankfully yours,
Kenneth
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jul-2004, 06:09 PM #2
Freezing can be caused by a variety of things. It is best to try to establish a pattern. Also, try working in safemode to see if it freezes there. Will it freeze if you leave it sitting without doing anything?

Also, it would be helpful if you replied back to your threads when you receive a reply People take time to try to help and it's frustrating to not receive follow-up.

http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versions-windows/221694-turn-error-start-up-concern.html
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Not as much as I would like to know
25-Jul-2004, 06:51 PM #3
Mines doing that also and have been trying to fix it also so far it has gotten a little better then it was. Mine also is dial up and it also happens just sitting still. Leave for a bit come back and it's froze. If you have any idea plaese send me a message too. thanks,
Marsha
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

25-Jul-2004, 07:21 PM #4
MarshaB, test in safe mode too. Check bios temps.
Computer Specs
Member with 145 posts.

25-Jul-2004, 08:09 PM #5
This seems to be an epidemic in Windows 98. I also have this problem and have had it in the past. The only solution that I've came up with is to reformat. Just one problem more for me when reformating: I have about 15gigs of personal data
Member with 188 posts.

Experience: "still learning"
25-Jul-2004, 08:19 PM #6
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add my 'two cents' worth. I am running Win95a and have experienced the same problem as mrlesher68 and Drew (random computer freezeups (mouse) and not being able to access 'CONT-ALT-DEL'.

It might have been 'pot-luck' but I simply ran a repair on Internet Explorer and I haven't had the problem since (about a month now).

I am simply submitting this for the 'what it's worth department'.

Regards,

2harts4ever
Member with 50 posts.

25-Jul-2004, 09:23 PM #7
Seems like 2Harts' solution works fine, but if you guys still have issues check out your power saving modes. I have seen graphics cards have TONS of issues with freezing when a computer will try to go into a power save mode (like shutting down the video feed.). What I do to prevent this is use a blank screen saver and turn off ALL power saving features, but this may very well not be the problem....

Try it out anyway
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!