Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

mouse not highlighting items...

(!)

Member with 35 posts.

19-Feb-2001, 02:15 PM #1
Hi All...

Lemme start by saying.... (groveling) PLEASE... if you have a clue, share!

It must be a simple thing... really... but in my blonde world... it's really torqueing me!

Okay... so I won't even get into why I got to where I am... suffice to say, I had to reload windows... FINE... no problem right...

BUT... suddenly... when (For instance) I click "Start" at the bottom left of the screen... and run my mouse up over the list to "programs"... none of the items *highlight* as I go...

It is like this for any list I runn the mouse over... like the right click menus, favorites... anything...

There has got to be a way to fix this right???

I have reloaded Win98SE twice, I have reloaded and reinstalled the ATI video/audio whatever the heck it is thingie twice as well.

(Why did I reinstall the ATI thingie... well, that was the thingie that screwed me up in the first place.)

PLEASE... anyone who actually KNOWS how to fix this... (begging on knees now) help me...

I help adopted people and birth families find each other FREE online through my site... my computer crashed, and I borrowed this one from a friend... when I tried to download a program to edit my site files... that is when the trouble started... I have gotten past that.. and just need to get this thing back in the shape I got it in.

Where the work I do is free, I haven't the resorces to send this baby in for a tune-up... any free help is GRATELY appreciated!

Love and Light,
Lia

------------------
Lia's Links:
FREE adoption reunion search assistance and advice:
httpA://www.geocities.com/lia_mari/
Senior Member with 574 posts.

19-Feb-2001, 08:27 PM #2
Have you run any of your <A href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tools/98Tools.asp">Windows 98 Support Tools</A> ?
Particularly <A href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q185/8/36.ASP">System File Checker</A> ?

Some things to watch out for if you've never used SFC...
<A href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q192/8/32.ASP">System File Checker May Attempt to Extract the Incorrect File Versions</A>
<A href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q264/8/65.ASP?">SFC says EXTRAC32.EXE may be Corrupted</A>

Which ATI card do you have?

Member with 35 posts.

19-Feb-2001, 09:26 PM #3
I have...

ATI (alright, I have no idea, so I am going to check now...)

3D rage pro 2x

I guess...

I will check into the advice you gave, though honestly, the word "Corrupt" scares the... stuffin' outta me!

Love and Light,
Lia

~A candle loses none of it's light by lighting another candle.

~Never fear the shadows, they simply mean there is a light nearby.

------------------
Lia's Links:
Senior Member with 2,065 posts.

19-Feb-2001, 09:52 PM #4

Hi LiaMari,

Welcome aboard, It is not neccessary to be so submissive here to get help but I enjoy your humor.
It is also usually not neccessary to be scared of corruption here. It is a term usually used to describe a file that does not work like it is supposed to for a reason that is usually unkown.

We also work for free here so we can appreciate your situation . Bob
Member with 35 posts.

19-Feb-2001, 09:59 PM #5
Ran File checker... it found 2 *corrupted* files, which it says I fixed successfully... but... still no highlight when I mouseover a menu...

I also noticed, within this problem, any *field* (like for instance, password fields) instead of being highlighted in the normal color, it's gray...

any/all input welcome... Hairy... keep those suggestions coming!

love and light,
Lia

------------------
Lia's Links:

20-Feb-2001, 01:15 AM #6
Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information

Up at the top you'll see a "Tools" button, click on it, go to Direct X Diagnostic Tool

Click "Next Page" twice..looking at the bottom for error messages <BR.>
At the Display tab, do the 3 tests there.

If everything seems normal there, restart in "Safe mode"
To do this...restart,hold down "control" key while it's booting, choose safe mode from the menu.

Do the menus highlite now? To exit safe mode, restart as usual.
Junior Member with 12 posts.

20-Feb-2001, 07:10 AM #7
Hi

Just a thought, is the display menu color the same as the background?
Vic
Member with 35 posts.

20-Feb-2001, 11:42 AM #8
VIC: No display color is different.

HAIRY: I ran the file checker, it found nothing wrong. (doesn't that figure!)

DirectX has issues of it's own I guess... nothing happening there.

It seems to me (far be it from me to claim wisdom) it's an issue with the ATI graphics thingie-ma-bobber... Call it intuition.

I have done everything I know to do... from slapping the side of the case to torching floppies in sacrifice to the cyber gods! (I even sent a formal appology to Bill Gates for calling him the anti-Christ and that little remark I made about how I think he named his company after one of his body parts (micro and soft)

I am *thinking* that I need to uninstall the ATI crappola thingie, and reinstall it???

Just how would one go about that anyway???

When it comes to making webpages, I am a whiz! But the beauty of making sites is that everything I don't know isn't going to fry the gizzards of this thing... if I screw up a webpage, I hit delete and start over!

Anyone on here live in the St. Johnsbury, Vermont area??? I make great coffee... beer is free too... venison steaks anyone????

Oh HAIRY... I nearly forgot, when I boot in safe mode, I have my highlight... the problem is gone in safe mode.. just real mode (or whatever it's alled) that I have this issue.

Love and Light,
Lia

------------------
Lia's Links:
FREE adoption reunion search assistance and advice: http://www.geocities.com/lia_mari/

[This message has been edited by LiaMari (edited 02-20-2001).]
Member with 35 posts.

20-Feb-2001, 11:52 AM #9
Things I have learned in the past two days:

I am NOT a Guru.

Don't click yes to ANYTHING that says something like: "You do realize you will be screwed if you choose this option right?"

DON'T click DEL and run setup... that is definately GURU territory!

DON'T accept advice from your mother who doesn't realize a "computer mouse" is not a critter living in the wall behind your desk.

DON'T borrow your friend's computer when yours breaks down... because odds are good that the gremlin that lives in yours will simply move into hers!

DON'T discount the theory that my house is overrun with spooks and ghosties who are not impressed with the static electricity from the computer and want to keep it turned off by making it only start in safe mode.

DO return friend's computer as soon as the nice Gurus help get it running right again.

Thanx a million folks! I am grateful for any/all input... still!

------------------
Lia's Links:
Member with 11,942 posts.

20-Feb-2001, 12:08 PM #10
If it works in SafeMode but doesn't in Normal mode then it is more than likely an issue with the drivers for your video card. Some ATI cards are notoriously troublesome when it comes to getting the correct most recent driver loaded. The only other thing it could be would be a background program running that is causing it.

Try this, click on Start>Settings>CP>System>Performance>Graphics. Now drag the slider over to the "None" position. Click on OK then Ok again. Follow the prompts to restart.

What happens now with mouseover?

If it's still not working then eliminate the background programs first as a source of the cause.

Start>Run, key in msconfig and press enter. Click on the Startup tab. Now maximize the window so you can see the whole path of each item. Note on paper, anything that does not have a check mark next to it. Now remove all of the checkmarks except for TaskMonitor, ScanRegistry, Systray and LoadPowerProfile(both instances). Click on Apply and follow the prompts to restart. Once it's restarted in Normal mode try your mouseover.

If the startup programs don't change anything then go back to Msconfig and reselect all the programs you un-selected. Click on Apply and follow the prompts to restart.

Note: If you should have any problems restarting with the programs unselected, which you most likely won't, just start up in SafeMode and run Msconfig again and reselect the items. Then follow the prompts to restart.

If it's still not working then it's almost definitely a driver issue but first let's see what you find out with those two tests. Let us know what you find.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 02-20-2001).]
Member with 35 posts.

20-Feb-2001, 02:46 PM #11
I got my first computer about 3 years ago... a beat up old IBM-a-sauras Rex from like, 1870 or something... everytime I started it... I got this message saying, "Error: type 1"... I can't even tell you how many months I spent typing 1 1 1 111111 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ... alrightie then... oneoneoneoneone... dang! Then, one day, someone with a kind soul told me it meant "error, of the variety, 1"... I thought, "Why didn't it just say that!" WHY would they use the word TYPE to inform someone armed with a keyboard and no brain of a problem!"

Anyway... Thank you bhesson, I did everything you told me to do (no problems if you can believe that one!) But nothing helped... so I went back in and changed everything back to how it was... and here I am asking... what to do about this driver situation!

At one point, I went looking for a driver, and yes, you are right, there is some confusion going on in that department as well... so I got ahold of the instalation disk for the stupid ATI thing.. wouldn't you think that would have fixed whatever the problem was??? but NOOOOOOO... not in my twilight zone.

You are all wonderful, and I continue to be grateful for any/all help offered!

I am going to have to bake cookies and send them out to thank everyone!

Love and Light,
Lia

~All who wander are not lost.

------------------
Lia's Links:

20-Feb-2001, 02:52 PM #12
Your drivers are here http://support.atitech.ca/products/p...8_drivers.html

Download them, then...

I have an ATI video card myself.(Rage 128)

You should first uninstall the old drivers in control panel/add,remove programs.
Then go to control panel/ display/ settings/ advanced/ adapter/change.
Change to Standard VGA.

Go to your anti-virus program and disable it from loading at startup. Restart

Hold down "Control" and "Alt" keys and tap the "Delete" key to bring up the task manager (after it's started)

"End Task" on everything except explorer and system tray. You'll have to do this for each entry individually.

In the file you download, will be a Setup.Exe on mine it's in the C:\ATI\support\WME_W98_R128_4_12_6292 folder.

Run the setup program.Restart when prompted.
Go back to your anti-virus program, re-enable it to load at startup.Restart.

Restart back to safe mode. Go to Device Manager ( control panel/system).
Open the "+" sign in front of "Display Adapters". There are two display adapters listed there, aren't there? Highlite the Standard VGA, Remove it.

Open the "+" signs in front of every catagory there and make note of any duplicates of hardware...report them back.

My ATI driver puts four entries into my "startup group" (msconfig/startup tab)...
.I've unchecked all of them and it works just ducky. Most of that stuf is for stuff I don't use (DVD player, control center thing), you'll have to make that decision yourself, but try it with them all unchecked and see...you can always go back and put the checks back in.

We're getting closer, hang in there.....

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison
Harry

[This message has been edited by Hairy (edited 02-20-2001).]
Member with 35 posts.

20-Feb-2001, 04:45 PM #13
Hi gang...

Alrightie... as I start on my journey... (Going where no blonde has gone before) I want to say a few things, in case my cyberspace ship crashes...

You guys are great man (And it's not the beer talking here, actually, I don't drink often enough to have any in the house!)

Seriously though... just a side note... I did some *Checking* around this thing... control panal>system>device manager> then looking at the ones for display adaptors... I find two things...

ATI 3D rage pro (atir3)
ATI graphics pro Turbo PCI (Atim64- VT)

When I right lcick and click "properties", the first one says, "This device is working properly.

The second one, however, has a yellow "!" over the picture. When I right click and click properties on that one it says,
"Windows cannot initialize the built in graphics adaptor. Shut down your computer, remove all graphics adaptors, then restart your computer. Shut down your computer again, reinsert all your graphics adaptors, and then restart your computer."

I have (I hate to admit this) reinstalled ATI 3 times, each time I reinstall, I get the second "device" listed above with this error on it... so I remove it, and bingo, back in there if I reinstall... also it has a nasty habit of not finding some
"dsetup.exe" file, and a couple others like "ati.d3d.dll" is another file that likes to hide.

When the setup can't find the file, I browse to Windows>system and it's usually there... so on and on it goes.

NOW... alright... I have to shower and go to my daughters school for a meeting with her advisor... I am fairly sure they are going to advice her to smarten up... but I could be wrong.

I will do this driver download when I get back... and I will post a note here to let you know how it works out... (fingers, arms legs, and eyes crossed!) I should be back working on this around 6pm EST. If you are all gone... I will hunt you down tomorrow!

Love and Light,
Lia

~Sometimes the best helping hand you can get is a good firm PUSH!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. " - Albert Einstein

------------------
Lia's Links:

20-Feb-2001, 05:44 PM #14
Do you have a motherboard with built in display ?

If so, what that message is telling you is to open your computer and physically remove your add-on card. Boot up, get the built in one working proper, and then install the other.

Gonna have to figure that out first.....
Member with 11,942 posts.

20-Feb-2001, 06:51 PM #15
What's the make and model number of your PC?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!