Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CD Rom door opens by itself

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

12-Feb-2001, 03:48 PM #1
My CD Rom door will open all by itself. I close it and it just opens again. The device seems to be working fine except for the door opening. I think it might be a windows 98 problem. I appreciate any help with this problem.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

12-Feb-2001, 06:53 PM #2
Sounds like an obsessed Cd-Rom. But seriously you might want to check the power connectionsto the CD rom. If you have made any recent hardware changes this may have something to do with it. I would also check to see if your comuter is under warranty, if so, the company should take care of it.

[This message has been edited by TechGuy (edited 02-13-2001).]
Junior Member with 3 posts.

13-Feb-2001, 12:09 AM #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by acesbro:
My CD Rom door will open all by itself. I close it and it just opens again. The device seems to be working fine except for the door opening. I think it might be a windows 98 problem. I appreciate any help with this problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm having the same problem! I contacted the manufacturer. I'm not sure if it matters who made your cdrom drive (mine is a toshiba) but here is what they suggested to me:

Sometimes the device driver in windows gets corrupt. you can try removing the CD-ROM driver from device manager. Have it reboot, and windows should reinstall it.

Check the ribbon(IDE) cable inside the computer sometimes it goes bad after
several years due to the heat inside the computer.

Make sure your DMA mode for your CD-ROM is enabled.

Please get the latest updates for your motherboard Bus-Mastering
chip-set(ie; via, sis, ali). This controls your IDE port that the CD-ROM is
plugged into.

Unless your testing the CD-ROM in DOS. Make sure your CD-ROM is not running
in 16-bit mode(DOS). The drivers would be loaded in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and
CONFIG.SYS files, you will need to remark them out(REM).

You can increase the Supplemental Cache Size of the CD-ROM to Large.
Cntrl-Panel => System => => Performance => file system => CD-ROM =>
Supplemental Cache Size.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

13-Feb-2001, 10:58 AM #4
Thanks for your help. I will try your suggestions. I appreciate it.
Senior Member with 2,065 posts.

17-Feb-2001, 11:26 AM #5

Hi acesbro,

Just wondered if the cd is behaving now and/or you found out why it was opening on it's own?
Bob

17-Feb-2001, 11:36 AM #6
I was going to email dollpie and ask about it too but I see that reply doesn't have an email listed for dollpie.

Besides being a curious thing to happen, Reading that the cd door opening on it's own can be caused by a Trojan virus is what brought me back to check this post.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bd (edited 02-17-2001).]
Pete_baines_1986
Guest with n/a posts.

17-Feb-2001, 01:41 PM #7
hmmmmm

it could be one of thoose prank thingy's, when did it start?, did u get any unusual e-mail's before you had it sent.

17-Feb-2001, 05:20 PM #8
I have tried everything that dollpie suggested except cheching the cable. It is still opening by itself. I did think of a virus and checked it with my virus software and it said my computer is clean. Does anyone know of something in windows that could be causing this problem?

17-Feb-2001, 05:48 PM #9
I haven't had time to replace the cable to my cd rom drive yet. I did scan for viruses and didn't find any either. I would try to check the cable connection next. Also, if possible, remove the drive and install into another computer to determine if it's the cd rom that's bad or there's a problem with your system. If the cd rom drive functions correctly in another system then there must be some other problem. Good luck and keep me updated.

17-Feb-2001, 06:23 PM #10
Thanks Dollpie. If you come up with the solution, I would appreciate your answer and, of course, I will let you know. I had this problem once before along with other problems and when I reloaded windows it stopped. That is why I am wondering if it could be a windows problem. I also noticed that my drive letters changed (zip drive and cd rom drive swithched letters). I think your idea of the cable is a good one. I will try it when I have time.

21-Feb-2001, 08:21 PM #11
Good News! I fixed it! Last night, I opened up the computer and checked on the cables. I made sure they were installed securely. That must have been the problem and there was no need to replace anything. So please be sure and try this as well as this may be your solution too.

Good luck!
Member with 2,984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Feb-2001, 09:36 AM #12
acesbro Your drive letters swapped? The run (should be IOMEGAWARE) under the Iomega Programs and assign the correct letters for the ZIP and the CD ROM. (change them back) It may indeed be something in Windows that sees the ZIP drive and when it wants it, it opens the door to your CD Rom instead.

[This message has been edited by Emtronics (edited 02-22-2001).]

22-Feb-2001, 10:41 AM #13

Here is some info on CD-Roms that says you can't change the cd drive letter back-I don't know which is right.

Problem: My CD-ROM drive letter changed changed to a different drive letter.

SOLUTION 1

Right click on the My Computer icon
Right-click Properties from the menu.
Click on the Device Manager tab.
Double click on CD-ROM.
Click on your CD-ROM listing.
Click on the Settings tab.
Click on the down arrow next to "Start drive letter".
Select the letter that the CD-ROM used to be.

Note: If you have installed a new drive (i.e. Zip drive, Jazz drive, hard drive, etc..), you may not be able to use the old drive letter. The CD-ROM will ALWAYS be the last drive letter assigned. If you can't change the drive letter back to the old letter, you may have to reinstall some software to update it to the new drive letter.

Note 2: The CD-ROM is assigned drive letter E: from the factory.

Bob

Member with 2,984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Feb-2001, 01:38 PM #14
This I do know, there is a program that comes with the Iomega software that allows you to set the drive letters (or reset) for your ZIP and CD ROM. I posted earlier that it was "refresh" but that is incorrect. In older Iomega software, there was a program that you clicked on that did this but on the newest Iomega software, just click on IomegaWare and there are choices one of which is to change the drive letters assigned to all removeable disk drives. My ZIP drive is "E" while the CD Rom is "D". For some reason, they switched. The CD Rom became "E". This caused any software that was loaded prior to this switch not to operate as the path was D:\ It also caused any program that I had stored on a ZIP drive ("E") like a word.doc to search the E drive thus the CD Rom door would open. If "Refresh" is running in the backround this may indeed cause the CD Rom door to open if the drives swap letters, that is why Iomega includes this handy little program to reset your drive letters back and this is why I suggested acesbro run IomegaWare and correct it.

22-Feb-2001, 04:42 PM #15

Hi emtronics and acesbro,

As I said I don't know which is correct but I had just seen that info after reading this topic and posted it without thinking too much about it.
Afterward I reread it and had some question about it's validity . I spent too long trying to find the CDROM site to check it again in my favorites [well over a thousand items and not organized well] and had to leave without finding it again.

I believe your information is probably correct. Bob
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!