Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

- Windows has detected a registry/configuration error...

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Nov-2004, 09:47 PM #1
- Windows has detected a registry/configuration error...
- Hi, I'm new here, and this looked like a friendly place to try to solve my issue(s) that I'll try to make clear (I'm currently running Win98):

- I pretty much have 2 main issues thus far and the first one is:

1.) Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Choose Command prompt only, and run SCANREG. ** This happens when I first boot up my PC and it takes me to the Startup Menu in DOS I believe **

- after I choose 'Command prompt only', a message states:
"The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS"
- Then a message follows stating that:
"There is an error in your CONIF.SYS file on line 3"

- Then more files follow that and they are these:
C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

- It then continues and brings up the message:
"The High Memory area (HMA) is not available. Additional low memory (below 640k) will be used instead."

- And finally it will bring me to the Summary Report on C:\ (which I usually see when booting up my PC) and then a message appears stating that:
"Data error reading Drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail?"

- Help would be greatly appreciated. *** And this is on my other PC ***

Last edited by greg_s; 05-Nov-2004 at 10:00 PM..
Member with 726 posts.

06-Nov-2004, 01:19 PM #2
greg_s, did you have any symptoms b4 this happened? a system crash, anything weird that would indicate a virus?

if you have a boot floppy, boot up using that, and do a search of c: for config.* /s
also for himem.sys /s . hopefully, you have a copy of himem.sys in the c:\dos directory you could then copy to c:\windows. same with the other two (dblbuff.sys, ifshlp.sys. if you can find & copy these 3 into the c:\windows, remove the floppy and reboot the pc. see how far it will boot this time & let me know. i'll be logged on most of the day today (sat). kimmer

06-Nov-2004, 08:42 PM #3
- kimmer13, thanks for responding. As far as previous symptoms, I slightly recall a window popping up on the desktop mentioning that I should remove a file (which was possibly a file similar to the himem.sys extension).

- I think there was a message on that that said to uncheck it...

- This may sound stupid but as far as having a boot floppy, I don't recall having one. But I know a 2-CD Recovery came with my HP Pavilion.

- My boot floppy, do you mean a reinstallation of Windows 98? Can you buy boot floppies at a store?

- Thanks again.

06-Nov-2004, 08:43 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_s
- kimmer13, thanks for responding. As far as previous symptoms, I slightly recall a window popping up on the desktop mentioning that I should remove a file (which was possibly a file similar to the himem.sys extension).

- I think there was a message on that that said to uncheck it...

- This may sound stupid but as far as having a boot floppy, I don't recall having one. But I know a 2-CD Recovery came with my HP Pavilion.

- By boot floppy, do you mean a reinstallation of Windows 98? Can you buy boot floppies at a store?

- Thanks again.

06-Nov-2004, 08:48 PM #5
- Oh I forgot to mention this too...When I turn on my PC, after roughly 15 seconds it starts to make this morse code type noise (like it's telling me something is wrong).

- It's not so much as a beep noise however. And also when it makes this noise the battery light on my tower corresponds to the morse code noise...

- This happens when the Microsoft Windows 98 image appears on the screen after you turn on the PC.

- Here is what the sound sounds like:

Ehh--Ehhhhhhh.....Ehh--Ehhhhhhh.....Ehh--Ehhhhhhh.....Ehh--Ehhhhhhh, etc.

- This sound does not happen when I reach the Startup Menu in DOS (where it then tells me about my registry/configuration error).

06-Nov-2004, 09:40 PM #6
- Would this website help me at all?

>> http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html
Member with 726 posts.

06-Nov-2004, 10:20 PM #7
ok, for boot floppy i mean a 3-1/2" floppy disk that is a setup disk for DOS or Windows 98. An installation CD for Win98 would be ok too, if your system bios is set to boot from CD. You could try the recovery CD and see if it will do the job.

what you are looking to do is have the cd or floppy in place when the pc turns on. it should read that disk first before trying to read your c:\ drive. if it starts a setup program, you just exit it so that you are at a A:\ prompt or a D:\prompt.

from there you would type "dir c:\himem.sys /s" and press enter. it should show you if you have that file anywhere on your hard drive. if you do, you would then copy it to the windows directory by typing "copy ???\himem.sys c:\windows" where ??? is the path to the himem.sys you found. ditto for the other two files.

if you don't have a 3-1/2" floppy, and the system won't read the CD you do have, you may have to enter bios (usually by pressing the F2 or DEL key right after turning the pc on) and switch the boot sequence to be cd device first, then ide hard drive.

does this help?
Member with 726 posts.

06-Nov-2004, 10:25 PM #8
greg_s, i just saw your post describing the noise. this changes things, it sounds as if your hard drive is failing. I would replace and put this one in a secondary position to try to get any important files off it, then remove it altogether. if there is nothing important on it you need to salvage, just replace it altogether.

yes the website you listed would be a good spot to create your boot disk from.

07-Nov-2004, 02:54 AM #9
- kimmer, I went to a computer chat room for other opinions and they said the same thing when I mentioned the noise issue.

- I honestly don't mind replacing the harddrive altogether. I did open the case (for my first time, sadly so) and it was sure dirty in there. Not a good sight at all...but I did clean most of the insides with a duster air can (hope that is okay?) .

- I was able to spot where the memory was and the harddrive. But the harddrive seemed to be really hard to get out. There are 2 screws that are very visible and easy to reach, but once I took those 2 screws out, the harddrive wouldn't really move out from it's metal brace that holds it.

- Are harddrives usually a pain to get out? I didn't know whether to force it out so I'll wait on your opinion on this...

- And maybe I can just take this to some local PC store to have them install a new HD if it doesn't cost too much. Though, I would like to try it on my own.

- Thanks again kimmer13!!
Member with 96 posts.

07-Nov-2004, 03:36 AM #10
If it is a windows problem Go to start/Programs/Acc/system tools/System info--Tools and run the Registry Checker & system file checker
Member with 726 posts.

07-Nov-2004, 11:41 AM #11
greg, hard drives typically are screwed in with 4 screws, two on each side. then the slide out of the bracket. however some pc makers position the bracket in such a way that the bracket comes out first, then you remove the hard drive from it. if you got two screws out already, check opposite where those were, there is usually an opening in the bracket you put your screwdriver thru to get at the screws.

Replacing a hard drive is a good experience, since you sound like you want to do it. but it is tedious setting up the new one (formatting, installing the os, etc) so going to a pc shop is an option to consider if you're short of time. if you do it yourself, the new hard drive you purchase will have step by step instructions for installation, and most likely a quick setup disk for formatting.

(btw,don't worry too much about the dust, all our pcs get like that, and as long as there was no power connected when you sprayed w/the air you're fine.)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!