Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Nothing will open!!

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Dec-2004, 08:13 AM #1
Solved: Nothing will open!!
I woke up this morning and all of the sudden I cannot open an executable files. Everything I try to open says "Cannot find file. You may have type the name incorrectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search." I think easy enough, I'll delete the old spware and virus scanners on my computer since they are outdated and I'll download new ones. So when I go to control panel here is the message I get. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." Either message occurs on every executable file I try to open except Internet explorer. I can also open up docments with microsoft word, or movies with Quicktime, but very little else. Any ideas as to what it may be. BTW, I also tried to run HijackThis, but I had the same results.
Senior Member with 1,182 posts.

02-Dec-2004, 09:37 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhed97
virus scanners on my computer since they are outdated and I'll download new ones.
This behavior can occur if your computer is infected with a virus.

Have you scanned your system to see if it is infected?

Here's two on-line AV scanners you could try,their free.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

HTH.

02-Dec-2004, 12:38 PM #3
Thanks for replying so quickly Alfie.

I ran both scanners and it did find several viruses. I went ahead and deleted all of the files that the scanners could not disinfect. I then restarted my computer and the same thing is still happening. I would just reformat my computer and start from scratch, but the last time I did that it took me forever to restart it because the Windows ME start-up is not compatible with my video card I got when my old one busted. Which I thought was wierd because it was compatible with Windows ME. I guess that is what i get for buying a computer with ME on it . If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
02-Dec-2004, 12:56 PM #4
Go to the Reticulated Toys site below and download, unzip and run

exefix08.com

There is an unzipped version available if you need it through the IE ONLY link at the bottom.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

02-Dec-2004, 02:40 PM #5
Ok, I downloaded that program and tried to run it. It gives me a message that says "Windows cannot find svchost.exe." I tried searching manually on my computer but did not find it.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

02-Dec-2004, 03:37 PM #6
SVCHost is a virus which must have been one of the viruses that you deleted. (although, if is it Welchia, it's normally only an an NT-type box?). But, the registry is still mucked up.

Try downloading Fix-exec.inf (same site as Rog posted).

Then, select the file, right mouse, install. And see if things will run again.

02-Dec-2004, 03:55 PM #7
I downloaded it and installed it and so far everything is back to normal. Thanks for everyones help.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

02-Dec-2004, 07:04 PM #8
Excellent.

But, I would also recommend you do a full virus scan to ensure that all is well.
Try this online one

Also, consider installing a firewall such as www.zonealarm.com.
The trojan or virus that you were initially infected with "could" have allowed an outsider, full access to your pc without your knowledge. ZA would have warned you when it attempted to "call home".
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
02-Dec-2004, 09:30 PM #9
Also, let us see a HijackThis scanlog, as there may be things that online scanners miss:

http://www.net-integration.net/tools/hijackthis.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!