Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Hi can anyone help?How much memory?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Dec-2004, 09:14 PM #1
Solved: Hi can anyone help?How much memory?
Hi,
Can anyone help,I am wanting to know how much memory my computer will take.I have Windows Me,with 20GB hardrive and 128 mb memory running at 733Mhz My system resources are running at 41% and things are sometimes freezing on me.Have recently done a lot of clearing out of junk,but not helped much.Have been noseying around old forum issues regarding memory and one was about msconfig32 software and startup and what was runnning in the backgfround.noticed loadpowerprofile is on twice? as follows:-

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
CARPService carpserv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Delay c:\windows\delayrun.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
hpsysdrv c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Keyboard Manager c:\program files\netropa\one-touch multimedia keyboard\mmkeybd.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Microsoft Office c:\progra~1\micros~4\office\osa9.exe -b -l .DEFAULT Startup
Microsoft Works Portfolio c:\program files\microsoft works\wkssb.exe /allusers All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
NAV DefAlert c:\progra~1\norton~1\defalert.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton Auto-Protect c:\progra~1\norton~1\navapw32.exe /loadquiet All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton eMail Protect c:\program files\norton antivirus\poproxy.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SpySweeper "c:\program files\webroot\spy sweeper\spysweeper.exe" /0 .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SSDPSRV c:\windows\system\ssdpsrv.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
StillImageMonitor c:\windows\system\stimon.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Taskbar Display Controls rundll deskcp16.dll,quickres_rundllentry .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
TkBellExe "c:\program files\common files\real\update_ob\realsched.exe" -osboot All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Do I need it? Also does anything look suspicious to anyone?
Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

22-Dec-2004, 09:52 PM #2
Hi again if anyone can help thankyou in advance need to get some shut eye bairns up at 6am'ish tomorrow(insomniacs!!!)I will reply asap in the morning.Thanks again.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,418 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Dec-2004, 08:46 AM #3
If I'm reading you correctly, your computer is running Windows ME, has a 733 MHz processor, and has 128 MB of RAM.

What brand name, model name, and model number is it? This will help me determine how much RAM can be used in it, along with confirming its hardware specs. With Windows ME, you should be using at least 256 MB of RAM. My guess is that it will support between 384 - 768 MB of RAM, but the above information will confirm that.

Low system resources is mainly caused by having too many programs running in the background. Other than ScanRegistry, SystemTray, StateMgr, and antivirus program entries, Windows ME and its associated hardware and programs needs very little else to be running in the background. Click the link below and read the article, "MSCONFIG - Reduce The Startup Load".
Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

23-Dec-2004, 11:31 AM #4
Many thanks again flavallee,Its as follows and got it wrong on the mhz.:-
Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Hppav (in HEWLETTPACKARD)
Profile Date: 23 December 2004 15:27:08

00101160 7805 15240503031116 00
System Serial Number: 5747HPPAV3
Main Circuit Board
Board: Asus CUW-AM/MEW-AM 2.05
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.06 11/17/00

767 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Also from original question do I need the 2 load power profiles
Also! was on earlier and everything crashed again and had to switch comp off at mains I do hate diong that.Got a feeling I have taken something out from somewhere and comp. is not happy with it.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

23-Dec-2004, 03:07 PM #5
Your computer is apparently a HP Pavilion. The front of the case should have a model number on it(most likely a 4-digit number), which is what I need.

According to the motherboard information, it has 2 RAM slots and supports a maximum of 512 MB of PC100 SDRAM.

If you're not using the advanced power management features and have the power options in the control panel set to "Always On - Never", you can uncheck and disable the 2 LoadPowerProfile listings.

You can also uncheck and disable the following:

Microsoft Office

Microsoft Works

The smaller you keep the startup load, the better your computer will run.
Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

23-Dec-2004, 06:19 PM #6
Hello flavallee and thankyou,I can't give you the 4 digit on the front of the case as the case was replaced by a workshop engineer when my powerpack blew up and he said the nearrest case to fit my system was the one I have now.Definetly a PC100 sdram memory board am I looking for ? as I was looking at the PC133's do I need to look also for the DIMM ones as well? also does it have to say 767mhz with them? Hold on just thought system info says.....system model 15240503031116 - system type X86-based PC -version 4.90.3000 - system manufacturer 00101160 7805
Hope that helps.can you or anyone let us know what type of memory boards to look for please?.
Computer Specs

24-Dec-2004, 04:22 AM #7
Your computer should use PC100, 168-pin, non-parity SDRAM modules. They're also called DIMM modules. A 128 MB module costs about $50.00. PC133 modules should only be used if your processor speed is 1.0 GHz or more - which it isn't. If you're not sure about which modules(s) to buy, remove one from the case and place it in a plastic baggie and take it to a computer store for comparison.
Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

24-Dec-2004, 07:12 AM #8
Many thanks for the info will do, I am sure that when I last looked at the board inside the computer when I installed my DVD drive that there was nothing on it but I'll open up and have a look again as I have got PC133 logged in my brain for some reason!!Thankyou for all your help and all the best for Christmas and the New Year ahead and the same to everyone else out there.
Computer Specs

24-Dec-2004, 09:35 AM #9
I recently bought some "PNY" PC100 SDRAM modules at "Best Buy" for my recently-acquired Compaq Presario 5900T. I was going to buy PC133 modules, but the warning on the label advised to use PC100 modules in a computer with less than a 1.0 GHz processor. Since my Compaq has a 733 MHz processor, I bought the PC100 modules.
Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

24-Dec-2004, 10:05 AM #10
Thanks flavallee , I will certainly look around for them ,any brand I should stay clear of?also should I look for compatible with Mhz or are they usually all standard?.I usually buy some of my stuff of ebay as I am way out of town and its the hassle of getting in,I'll have a look at "Best Buy" depends on shipping of course. just had a look ouch!!
Just had a look on a site in the UK :-
PC133 (133MHz DIMM SDRAM 168 Pin) - 128MB
PC133 168 PIN SDRAM Computer Memory is suitable for machines that are Pentium 3, 600mhz and over and Pentium 4 machines that use a chip set 845.
This on "Picstop" So it looks like either.! I was looking for PC100 and it came up with that!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!