Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how to kill registry key for Trojan.Win32.FTP Attack

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Feb-2005, 11:51 PM #1
how to kill registry key for Trojan.Win32.FTP Attack
Operating system: Windows 98

I found the Trojan.Win32.FTP Attack spyware on my computer yesterday using the X-cleaner antispyware. I was prompted to delete it, but after many attempts that has not happened. I have also tried to use my Ad-ware SE Plus and McAfee Guardian/V-shield but neither of these has worked. I then tried to delete it manually but I haven't been able to figure that out either. I've already backed up my registry but I got stumped at the next step. The directions I got came from the eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia.

It says to kill the following programs first:
ewayclient.exe
ewayserver.exe
remind_xp.exe
systemroot+\system32\drwatsom.exe
systemroot+\system32\wscan.exe

A problem here is that I only find one of these (remind_xp.exe) running. I did kill that one. The next step is to delete the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\reminder

The odd thing here is that I can't find this key in my registry. I guess my questions are these: 1. If that key isn't in the registry then why does the Trojan keep getting picked up by the X-cleaner? 2. Is this Trojan actually operating on my system somewhere or is there only a remenant of it that is getting picked up somehow? 3. If this Trojan is on my computer somewhere, can anybody give me some advise as to how to get rid of it?

Thanks for any help here and sorry about the long post.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,003 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Feb-2005, 02:29 AM #2
I don't know where X-Cleaner comes from, but someone else on this forum used it awhile back and it caused some major problems.

If you're concerned about spyware, you need to stick with the reliable and tested programs for it, such as Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05 and Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3.

Personally, I find McAfee to be problematic and a resource hog.
Senior Member with 567 posts.

Experience: Lots to Learn
22-Feb-2005, 07:46 AM #3
You may want to try TrojanHunter, a well respected Trojan cleaner that works well getting rid of persistent trojans.

It has a 30 day free trial period. Update the program to the latest data base and use the "Full Scan" tab should you decide to use it.

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!