Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

APM vs ACPI Power Management

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2001, 12:40 PM #1
I have an IBM Thinkpad T20 running Win 98 SE.
Somehow it has gotten ACPI installed for power management, instead of APM.
I think this must be why the hibernation/suspend buttons do not work.

IBM's tech support told me that ACPI is not supported for Win 98, and probably was installed erroneously, since they believe that only APM works under Win 98. Of course the instructions supplied with the drivers at their own web site DO seem to suggest that the power management drivers there work under Win 98, 2000, Me, etc.

However, the only solution they recommend is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall EVERYTHING from scratch, beginning with their original CD-ROM that supposedly came with the machine when it originally left the factory (which I do not have).

Does anyone here have any familiarity or understanding of these power managment issues?

Thank you.

ACZ
Senior Member with 524 posts.

22-Apr-2001, 02:00 PM #2
Hi there,

You got a little mixed up.
Take a look at this,

http://www.coolcomputing.com/reviews/os/w98acpi.html

TJ
Computer Specs
Member with 11,584 posts.

22-Apr-2001, 03:31 PM #3
APM vs ACPI
tjsudo
There have been many posts here questioning why stand and hibernation is not working.
When you called IBM tech support they may of gave you good information in saying that thier unit does not support ACPI.
Many units do not support the Microsoft ACPI function according to Microsoft. I don't think reformatting your drive and reinstalling windows is going to fix the problom since windows will just reload power management ACPI.
You may want to turn off all power management through your start/settings/control panel/power mngt
Set too always on and never turn off all other selections.
After you do that see if your hot buttons work.
Below is a link to
Microsofts knowledge base that lists different topics on ACPI/APM

http://search.support.microsoft.com/...o.x=31&Go.y=20
Computer Specs
Member with 11,584 posts.

22-Apr-2001, 03:49 PM #4
acz Reply by E-mail

This is the message:

I have stopped energy management and screen saver, I would like the computer to run all the time. It does but the screen freezes down a bit with a red strip at the top. Problem being I have to reboot to see what is going on. I know I have seen something else about keeping the computer on but I don't remember what or where. I'm running Win98. Thanks for any help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!