Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

winstart.bat

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

11-May-2001, 08:47 AM #1
I was doing some troubleshooting using the system configuration utility. I unchecked the process winstart.bat file box. Now I can't check the process winstart.bat box or find the winstart.bat file. Can I create the winstart.bat file if it's missing?
Member with 8,974 posts.

11-May-2001, 09:16 AM #2
The utility system configuration utility (MSCONFIG) could not have deleted, as it only changes the statement into a comment. WINSTART.BAT is not a normal batch file for Windows. Do you know what it did or are your experiencing problems?
Member with 781 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-May-2001, 09:38 AM #3
Agree w/ DanO. If "Winstart.bat" is on your system, you can find it by clicking: Start > Find > Files and Folders and look in c:\, check to include sub-folders then key in the name Winstart.bat. It sounds like a third party or homebrew program to me.

mole
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

11-May-2001, 10:14 AM #4
Winstart.bat IS a windows facility for loading programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q134/4/02.ASP

This "could" be used by a virus/trojan, so I would run a full virus scan with uptodate definitions to be safe.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
11-May-2001, 11:36 AM #5
But the moral of the story is: if you don't have one, don't worry about it. I sure don't, the check box in my msconfig is also grayed -- whether it began life that way, I don't recall.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

11-May-2001, 12:08 PM #6
IF the selection is available in MSCONFIG, then there IS a winstart.bat file in the \windows directory.

If you have disabled this entry, then you should find a Winstart.tsh file in the \windows directory and the selection is no longer available.

If you open the winstart.tsh file with Notepad, you will be able to see what WAS starting on every boot, before you disabled it.

This file seems to run, if selected and present, after the autoexec.bat file has been processed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!