Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Won't print pages...says "Internet Explorer Script Error"

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

29-May-2001, 12:10 AM #1
Using Windows 98, Internet Explorer 5.5, whenever I try to print a page while I am online, an error message pops up and says...
"An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 596

Char: 2

Error: Invalid Argument

code : 0

URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/preview.dlg

Please help me get this thing working again. I sure do need to be able to print pages from here. And, please, explain as if I am very, very, green to this, ok? Thanks a whole bunch.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
29-May-2001, 12:24 AM #2
Try this fix:

http://cybergreet.net/private/messages/601.html

To make it even a little simpler, go to start>settings>printers

Right click the printer icon and select "rename" then right click>copy or ctrl-c to capture the name exactly. Cancel out and run regedit. Follow the directions above and paste the copied printer name after double clicking the printer name entry in the registry key.

[Edited by Rollin' Rog on 05-29-2001 at 01:29 AM]

30-May-2001, 10:17 AM #3
script error message now fixed
Although the two methods of repair here, didn't work for me, I was able to find the pathway I needed and did some manual manipulation, then copied name of existing printer, deleted old one, added "new" printer, and now everything works fine.

Thanks very much for your help. This site is fantastic, and has already helped me fix a couple of problems. Thanks for all the help from all of you, and I wish you lots of luck in your endeavors and may God Bless your lives.

Terry
Computer Specs

30-May-2001, 10:22 AM #4
Terbear, could you be a liitle more specific about how you accomplished that? I've seen another with the same problem, and as my own registry does not show the printer name in the key covered in the link, I am wondering how it worked out in yours.

30-May-2001, 12:06 PM #5
more specifics
Rollin' Rog... here is exactly what I did to come out with the outcome I did. I followed this path: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers and then double clicked on "default" and a box came up into which I "pasted" the correct default printer. Then I exited that, then clicked "start", "settings", "printers", and double clicked on "add new printer", deleted the old one, and everything worked beautifully after that.

Now, don't get me wrong...I am NOT a computer expert by ANY means...but I just used a little imagination on this one, and , with your help leading me in the right direction to get to the regedit screen, that is how I lucked out. Hope this helps you and anyone who might have this problem.

Terry
Computer Specs

30-May-2001, 12:23 PM #6
Hey, thanks Terry.

That lesson's called "thinking outside the box" -- and I'm sure it will help others!

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!