Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Program window will not maximize

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

29-Apr-2006, 01:14 AM #1
Unhappy Program window will not maximize
No matter what program is running, (Windows Explorer, MS Access, Quicken), the program window always leaves an empty place about an inch blank to the right of the window. The only way to close the gap is to click the "Restore" button and then drag the edges past this empty space. If I close and reopen a window, I have to readjust the window again. Every application window behaves the same way.

When on the desktop, any icons I drag into this space disappear. It is as if there is a hidden toolbar. Yet there is no toolbar there, but the windows act like one is.

Any sugguestions how to close the gap ?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Apr-2006, 07:28 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatt827
No matter what program is running, (Windows Explorer, MS Access, Quicken), the program window always leaves an empty place about an inch blank to the right of the window. The only way to close the gap is to click the "Restore" button and then drag the edges past this empty space. If I close and reopen a window, I have to readjust the window again. Every application window behaves the same way.

When on the desktop, any icons I drag into this space disappear. It is as if there is a hidden toolbar. Yet there is no toolbar there, but the windows act like one is.

Any sugguestions how to close the gap ?
Drag it to size and then click view and close it from there. Windows should remember next time.

12-May-2006, 10:05 PM #3
Problem clarification
There is no dragging it to size. This is not a matter of sizing the window. The window is already maximized, but there is an inch gap to the right of the window that will not close. Even icons from the desktop disapear in this gap if I move them there.

Last edited by KMatt827; 12-May-2006 at 10:38 PM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-May-2006, 07:05 PM #4
Well there are buttons on all Monitors i have seen that you can use to adjust the screen.

08-Jun-2006, 11:00 PM #5
I don't think you grasp the problem. I am not asking someone how to use windows or which buttons to press. I am telling you that there is a problem with how it functions. I am not a novice trying to figure out how to use my computer. I am not trying to 'adjust' my screen.

Please re-read the problem. The window WILL NOT occupy the right 1 1/2 inch of the screen when maximized. It behaves as if there is an invisable toolbar on the right side of the screen. Only the desktop will display there.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,807 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jun-2006, 11:19 AM #6
Hi KMatt827... At risk of being told I, too, do not grasp the problem, I offer the following...

This suggestion will not fix your problem (that's a strange one), but it may be a way to mitigate it until you get a permanent solution. To expand a bit on bicycle bill's suggestion, I believe you stated you could drag the window to fill the screen in restore mode. Do so, then when you close the window, hold down the shift key. This should result in the reopening of the window as it was when you closed it. At least it does on my Win98SE system.

I run all my progs and browser in restore mode adjusted to full screen as a matter of routine. That way I can drag um to whatever I want without bothering with the buttons.

Raybro
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!