Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 95 CTL3D.DLL message

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

09-Aug-2001, 02:54 PM #1
I recently removed some programs thru "add/remove" to free up HD space. Now whenever I sign on I get two messages;

1 - . . .Cannot find CTL3D.DLL. Windows needs it to run c:\oplimit\ocraware.exe; then
2 - Could not load ocraware.exe in winini. . .either load it or remove the reference to it from win.ini file.

So far no problems due to not having oplimit\ocraware.exe but I'd like to be rid of the message--or fix the problem that causes the message. Did I remove something that was a "shared file" that I will need in the future?

My computer is Compaq Presario 4522 and I have only a Compaq Quick Restore disk for the system. Thanks for any help/advice with this problem. Jacq
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Aug-2001, 03:10 PM #2
Hi itsnotmehere (then who could it be...he he...)

Welcome to TSG....

Do you have a scanner?

10-Aug-2001, 01:52 PM #3
Hi I had a hard time finding this one reply--or even my first post. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. . . anyway, In response to your question, yes I have a scanner that I haven't used recently. And I just discovered that I can no longer access "Wordpad", which was not one of the programs I had deleted (I hope), I get a "cannot find" message. Thanks again. (Maybe it is me here afterall!.

10-Aug-2001, 04:28 PM #4
If you are running windows 98, go to the start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok....

Then go to the start-up tab, find that ocr entry and uncheck it. If you want to run your scanner again, you'll probably need to re-install the software for it....

On wordpad, go to start, settings, control panel, add/remove programs, windows setup, accessories, and make sure you have wordpad checked....if it is checked, uncheck it, restart the computer, then go back and check it again, and it may ask for your windows installation cd.....

10-Aug-2001, 07:30 PM #5
Thanks for quick reply! But, I am running Windows 95 not 98. And I don't have a Windows 95 CD only Compaq's "Quick Restore" so I hope that won't be a problem. If I run it I understand my computer will be reduced to its purchase state, which will be just short of a diaster as far as everything I'll have to re-install! Anyway, I'll try to follow your advice for 98 on my 95. Perhaps I can manage without Wordpad. . . More later. . . .

10-Aug-2001, 08:00 PM #6
Wordpad instructions should be the same....

I know there is a program called start-up cop, maybe do a search for that.....above.....search button, type in startup cop......

Member with 46 posts.

10-Aug-2001, 08:43 PM #7
Startup Cop will work just fine. I have a Compaq 4528, with win 95 and Startup Cop. Very easy to use Startup Cop and it's reliable. This site is the best and will give you the help you need.

11-Aug-2001, 12:34 PM #8
Thanks for suggestion, I did go look at Startup Cop. Thing is, I don't have any problem with starting up, after clicking away the two messages most things run as usual. Its just that I must have thrown away CTL3D.DLL when I was cleaning stuff out. I don't know how many programs might need that DLL, and I probably don't care about losing OCRAWARE.EXE--my scanner still works for pics into Photoshop. I would like to get WordPad back, but Windows can't find c:\windows\system\MFCANS32.DLL to run it. Wordpad appears to be in the system--just can access it. I hesitate to re-install off Quick Restore CD 'cause it would wipe out everything else, right? Woe is me! Do you think if I un- and re-install the scanner I would get back the DDL WordPad wants--it would be easier. . . . again, thanks.

[Edited by itsnotmehere on 08-11-2001 at 01:38 PM]
Senior Member with 796 posts.

11-Aug-2001, 02:35 PM #9
CTL3D.DLL prob..
Yeah,

That file is important.

If you can still use the Net, go to something
like "www.drdrivers.com" (or it it drdriver)?

Anyway, make sure it's for Win95 (just in case,
if you can) and put it in "Windows\System\"

Another place is "www.winfiles.com/"

Member with 46 posts.

11-Aug-2001, 02:54 PM #10
Well I can dispel your fears about the Compaq Quick Restore disk. It doesn't restore your system unless you boot with it and select several options before answering yes to a warning about what you are about to do. That Quick restore disk has your Win 95 on it. Probably OSR2 like mine. You can insert that CD after booting up and use Find to seach for any program or file on it. Then you can copy and paste it to your windows or desktop etc. I did this to get the Emergency Recovery Utility(ERU)that I use to back up my system configuration. (Registry etc.) Hopefully this comment will push your problem back up the list and some of the power users here will take another look at your problem.
Member with 46 posts.

11-Aug-2001, 03:36 PM #11
Just did a search right here on CTL3D.DLL and found this.
http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versions-windows/49078-resolved-ctl3d-dll-missing.html

Should help!

11-Aug-2001, 06:07 PM #12
Opps, I spoke too soon. I cannot use WordPad afterall. Now I get two new messages when trying to open Wordpad
1 - cannot find C: programs "1\access~1\wordpad.exe, and
2- cannot find c:\windows\MFCANS32.DLL.
I think I may have to go to the compaq quick restore disc, I need very exact directions to try to get workdpad, or whatever and put it in the system folde, or whatever---help! I tried just going to "find" with the CD in rom drive but was not able to get any results. Aaarhg!

[Edited by itsnotmehere on 08-13-2001 at 07:14 PM]
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!