Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

TRYING TO UNINSTALL ADOBE 8.0 AND OTHERS: Internal error 2753. Updater.api-NON-OPT

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-May-2007, 07:04 PM #1
TRYING TO UNINSTALL ADOBE 8.0 AND OTHERS: Internal error 2753. Updater.api-NON-OPT
I am having problems uninstalling from the Add/Remove Programs. I get this error message, then fatal error. Adobe Acrobat 8.0 is showing 151 MB, and I have deleted the files manually. When I google this error code, I cannot find anywhere that this code comes up with updater.api-NON-OPT.

I had trouble removing Paper Port 9.0 before and the error message came up as msi script too old or something like that. I used the disk to repair it, but it still is not correct. I need to take it off because any disk I put in to install something, it tries to install Paper Port.

Also I put on Advanced Installer by mistake and I get the same message as Adobe above when I try to remove it.

Can anyone help? I do run Eusing registry cleaner and Ccleaner regularly.
Senior Member with 1,759 posts.

Experience: Always learning
25-May-2007, 03:15 AM #2
In the plug_ins folder of Adobe, there is a file called "updater.api", no quotes.

Rename it to "updater.old" without the quotes, restart the system and test.

Are you running Win9x or XP?

Adobe Reader 8 doesn't support Win9x...

Zee

25-May-2007, 03:16 AM #3
You can also search your system for "updater.api" and rename it.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Sep-2007, 04:42 PM #4
I , also, am trying to uninstall Adobe Reader 8.0. Through Add/Remove Programs I receive this message: Internal Error 2753 Updater.api_NON_OPT; then fatal error during installation. The updater file is in a cabinet which doesn't allow me to change the name to (.old). I really need a version of Adobe Reader. Can anyone help me?

04-Sep-2007, 05:09 PM #5
Have you tried reinstalling on top and then uninstalling?
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

04-Sep-2007, 11:41 PM #6
Thank you for replying.
Actually, this is what I ended up doing. Who would have thunk? I put FoxIt Reader on. Takes up so much less space.
Computer Specs

06-Sep-2007, 02:02 PM #7
If I do this (install FoxIt), does it stand to reason that I need to use Mozilla Firefox as my IP/explorer? I do have FireFox on my PC but haven't used it because I'm so accustomed to MS/explorer. I did try installing over and that didn't work. I also found Adobe instructions to repair registry key but that didn't work either.

Last edited by MK07; 06-Sep-2007 at 02:31 PM..

06-Sep-2007, 02:17 PM #8
That has nothing to do with your problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

06-Sep-2007, 05:17 PM #9
Windows Installer CleanUP
I remember now, I had to use this. It is free. Google it.

06-Sep-2007, 05:33 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK07
If I do this (install FoxIt), does it stand to reason that I need to use Mozilla Firefox as my IP/explorer? I do have FireFox on my PC but haven't used it because I'm so accustomed to MS/explorer. I did try installing over and that didn't work. I also found Adobe instructions to repair registry key but that didn't work either.
No, Foxit is an alternative to Adobe Reader and works quite well.

Zee
Computer Specs

08-Sep-2007, 03:58 PM #11
Thank you Zee
I installed FoxIt Reader, tested, and it works very well. THANK YOU! I wasn't aware an alternative existed. Thanks again!!
callenderc callenderc is offline callenderc has a Profile Picture
callenderc has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

02-Oct-2007, 10:09 PM #12
I am having the same problem uninstalling Adobe 8. I have tried the Add/Remove Windows program along with a couple of other uninstallers. Nothing happened EXCEPT this same message: Internal error 2753 Updater.api_NON_OPT. I tried as suggested of re-installing Adobe 8, but it will not let me overwrite because another ADobe 8 is already installed.
Please, I have searched the Internet all day and nothing seems to address this particular problem. Be assured when I get it off, it will not be put back on. I have already downloaded Foxit Reader.
Thanks
CC
Computer Specs

13-Feb-2008, 03:09 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by callenderc View Post
I am having the same problem uninstalling Adobe 8. I have tried the Add/Remove Windows program along with a couple of other uninstallers. Nothing happened EXCEPT this same message: Internal error 2753 Updater.api_NON_OPT. I tried as suggested of re-installing Adobe 8, but it will not let me overwrite because another ADobe 8 is already installed.
Please, I have searched the Internet all day and nothing seems to address this particular problem. Be assured when I get it off, it will not be put back on. I have already downloaded Foxit Reader.
Thanks
CC
Flooowing up on what has been said about Error2753 Updater.api_NON_OPT! I have installed Foxit as my PDF Program. This problem with Adobe has gotten really wierd. WHen I go into my Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, Adobe Reader still shows up in the list. But is has no choices of Remove/Change. It's just sitting there. It does not show up in Windows Explorer on any hard drive. MY puzzle now is in Firefox recognizing Foxit as my Default PDF Reader. I have set it as the Default but there have been times, almost entirely, that I am at a particular site and they have a PDF file I want to download,etc. Well when I attempt to try it, I get this message:

Acrobat Plugin

Could not launch Acrobat

Can anyone lead me down the lane to sanity? Please!!!

13-Feb-2008, 03:51 AM #14
Install this Firefox extension:

PDF Download 1.0.1.0

* Once PDF Download has been installed a new selection, “PDF Download - Options” will appear in your Tools Menu. Select this option.
* On the ‘General Tab’, for Default Action, select ‘Open PDF‘
* On the ‘PDF opening’ Tab, for the PDF File Opening, select ‘Use this viewer‘
* Click ‘Browse’ in Windows Explorer locate the Foxit Reader (FoxitReader.exe) and click ‘OK’
* Click ‘OK’ again to exit out of the PDF Download - Options.

Now whenever you come across a PDF File, Firefox will automatically load in the FoxIt Reader, a process which depending on your system speed with be nearly instant to a couple seconds. Note: Firefox downloads the PDF File in order to open it.

in:
Adobe Acrobat vs Foxit Reader

Zee
Computer Specs

13-Feb-2008, 11:39 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Zee View Post
Install this Firefox extension:

PDF Download 1.0.1.0

* Once PDF Download has been installed a new selection, “PDF Download - Options” will appear in your Tools Menu. Select this option.
* On the ‘General Tab’, for Default Action, select ‘Open PDF‘
* On the ‘PDF opening’ Tab, for the PDF File Opening, select ‘Use this viewer‘
* Click ‘Browse’ in Windows Explorer locate the Foxit Reader (FoxitReader.exe) and click ‘OK’
* Click ‘OK’ again to exit out of the PDF Download - Options.

Now whenever you come across a PDF File, Firefox will automatically load in the FoxIt Reader, a process which depending on your system speed with be nearly instant to a couple seconds. Note: Firefox downloads the PDF File in order to open it.

in:
Adobe Acrobat vs Foxit Reader

Zee
I have followed up and did all you suggested. Foxit Reader works great. One small glitch - every once in a while I get hold of a PDF file and rather than open I get this little rectangular box with message: Acrobat Plugin Could not launch Acrobat

Do I have a corrupted Firefox PDF Plugin? and where would I go to re-download it?

Callenderc
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!