Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Help please no video on skype

(!)

Member with 106 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Jul-2010, 03:47 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: Help please no video on skype

PC IBM THINK PAD 264764G
O/S Win 2000 PRO Ver 5.0.2 Service Pack 4
Processor X86 Family
Total Physical Mem 393000Kb
Total Available Memory 121000KB

Downloaded SKYPE
all works fine apart from the Video
Every time I try to enable the Video I get the following messages
1.Check you have a valid directX Installation
2.Cannot start Video Renderer

I have loaded Camera Software , it works ok , even tried it out with AMCAP and it does all the things it should do , however it just wont work on W2000 using SKYPE.

Is there some programme I should enable so that the SKYPE Programme becomes the default for the camera?

Any inputs to help me fix this problem greatly received, than you
znord737
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,936 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jul-2010, 06:26 AM #2
It requires directx 9
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/get-...puter/windows/
see specification here
Quote:
Check DirectX

To determine which version of Microsoft Direct X you are running:

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.
In the Run dialog box, type dxdiag
Click OK.

A dialog box displays the version that you are running.
Also have a read here
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=43416
Member with 106 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 06:01 PM #3
Smile help please no video on skype

Thank you for those very useful inputs.

When I download the SKYPE Update it says please type location where you want to place extracted files.

Please advise where this should be?

Thank You

znord737
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2010, 06:13 PM #4
you can put those anywhere on the PC - i would suggest creating a folder called temp and use that - all the program is doing is extracting files and then will run the update using those files, often deleting the files when completed
Member with 106 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 06:51 PM #5
Thank you for the information re the direct xs- that has been actioned as advised.

However downloading the Beta Version of Skype is presenting problems despite downloading from several sites I get a message saying there is a later evrsion of SKYPE do you want to install, when I say no, immediately the Skype Installer closes down and says as I am not downloading the latest version of SKYPE it is now closing . where do I go from here? ,,the link on the advise for downloading SKYPE BETA Ver 2 does not work !
znord737
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2010, 05:42 AM #6
I cant get the link to work, depending on how the wording is phrased, if you say yes, does it take you to the skype site to download latest version
Member with 106 posts.

19-Jul-2010, 09:41 AM #7
When I click on the kremlinchich link which is to download an olkd version of SKYPE (Ver 2 etc), it takes me to that site , however a message comes up to say that I do not have permission to open that site so I cannot get further.
googled for a version 2 of SKYPE umpteen sites came up , tried most of them but as soon as I get access to the site a message flkags up to say do you want to download this version of SKYPE (Ver 2) it gives the choice to say yes or no , when I click yes , another message comes up to say there is an updated version of Skype do you want to down load it , if I say no, immediately a message appears saying that you cannot do this and SKYPE is closing down .
So in real terms although there are many Version 2/s out on the web as soon as you try and download it SKYPE blocks you from downloading an older version.
Have completely unininstalled SKYPE and tried the same proceedure however the same messages appear, all it wil;l let you do is download the latest version ! I am piuzzled to say the least!
znord737
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2010, 12:38 PM #8
i have had a go on/off today and no luck - --- not sure what else to suggest - hopefully someone else will reply here soon
Member with 106 posts.

19-Jul-2010, 04:24 PM #9
Wink Help please no video on skype

Thank you for your various technical inputs all of which were most helpful albeit the problem was not strictly solved 100 per cent.

I have concluded that on the initial installation of skype , the skype software incorporates some changes to the registry which prevent anyone installing an older version of SKYPE than the one initially installed or a later version.

Even deleting SKYPE completely , there is a key or something which is not removed when SKYPE is uninstalled and that key prevents one from downloading and installing an earlier version of SKYPE.

Frankly I had more or less given up hope of getting this to work and have looked at a work around !

What I tried, and it works after a fashion still have some tweaking to do !

I installed a free programme called MANYCAMS - this is inserted between the Web Cam and SKYPE . The Video works using that as an intermediate fix though it does freeze at times but at least I am working again on SKYPE.

As a follow on I downloaded the latest directx update from Microsoft , deleted the MANYCAMS Programme and used SKYPE instead , got the VIDEO working albeit , it does drop out and freeze at times and I am working on that proiblem piecemeal.

One thing does puzzle me despite downloading DirectX several times none worked however when I downloaded it again for the eight time it worked ! I am no computer guru and have to accept the fact that these things happen from time to time !

Once again my sincere thanks for your help and advice - it enabled the brainbox to be churned up and made me try things I otherwise would not have done .

Thanks again and I am going to say that thois [problem is solved and now closed

znord737
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2010, 04:45 PM #10
your welcome - others may still reply - if you leave unsolved - theres a button at the top of the thread "mark solved"
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Aug-2010, 08:36 PM #11
Lightbulb Fix for cannot start video renderer / directx error
A fix for the skype error has been posted in the skype user forum at this link: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?sho...post&p=2904483

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!