Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer locks up while attempting Defrag

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

02-Sep-2002, 10:09 PM #1
Computer locks up while attempting Defrag
Hello,

I have a gateway 233 mhz with a cable modem. I run windows 95. When I attempt to defrag my computer, I first get a message that I do not need to defrag at this time. If I continue the defrag anyway, my computer locks up after only about 10% defrag completion.

First, should I attempt to defrag even after I am told that it is not necessary, since it hasn't been done in 700 days.

Second, why does my computer lock up during this procedure?

Any responses would be helpful, but please make them as idiot-proof and less technical as possible.

Insiderzzz
Moderator with 69,360 posts.

03-Sep-2002, 09:37 AM #2
Have you tried going into safe mode and running defrag? Also you may want to run scandisk first.
Member with 6,427 posts.

03-Sep-2002, 09:41 AM #3
You could also try with closing all the applications running in the background in the Normal Mode and recheck.

But safe mode is a better option.

Junior Member with 17 posts.

03-Sep-2002, 10:54 AM #4
What is safe mode and how do I get there
Hi,

How do I get into safe mode? Also, how and where do I run scandisk from?

Insiderzzz
Member with 277 posts.

03-Sep-2002, 11:57 AM #5
Hello,insiderzzz

Here is somthing that may help
with more the just a defrag

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...791#post270791

Good luck
Member with 6,427 posts.

03-Sep-2002, 12:02 PM #6
That link could help about defrag and related info.

But just to answer the question about how to enter the safe mode -

As soon as you start the computer tap the F8 key constantly and this would start a bootup menu with 5-6(7) options. From the list I guess the Safe Mode option will be the 3rd. Select that and boot into Safe Mode and try the defrag again.

As already posted it would be a very good method to defrag the drive after running the scandisk.

Member with 277 posts.

03-Sep-2002, 12:15 PM #7
Hey,pvc9

I'm if you look at the link you
would have seen that it shows
how to go into safe mode

Thanks
Member with 6,427 posts.

03-Sep-2002, 12:18 PM #8
AAPlus,
Ok! Thx for the info...
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Sep-2002, 12:46 PM #9
Also:

I know this reads as if it were rehearsed, that's because it is. I wrote it for all defrag questions since there are so many problems finishing defrag out there. So here goes and this is just my opinion:

1st there is a lot of discussion about whether you need to defrag in safe mode or in standard Windows. You do not need to go to safe mode in 98% of all instances if you use the commonly called or named; ME_defrag.

2nd there is also a lot of discussion about shutting down everything running except explorer and systray. You do not need to do this in 98% of all instances if you use Me_defrag.

You can get this version of defrag at one of the following sites:

http://216.12.220.222/~nicefiles/index.html (Microsoft requested they remove it so I can't guarentee it's still there but there are plenty of sites to download it from.)

http://surecool.com/download.htm

http://members.tripod.com/stingsshack/downloads.htm (bunch of pop-ups here)

Once you have it (there is a self installing version and a manual install version) all you have to do is make sure the file is renamed to defrag.exe and move it into the C:\Windows directory. You will get a prompt asking if you want to replace the original defrag.exe, just say YES or rename your old defrag.exe to defrag.old for those nervous folk, then place the new one in the Windows folder.

This is a small file. Only 209 kb.

Occassionally one of the sites will name it ME_Defrag.exe. That's why I mentioned to rename it.

I've used it on Win95a, Win95B, Win98FE and Win98SE and never had a problem. I've run it without shutting any open apps including anti-virus and it always finishes.

The first noticable difference in this version is that it gives you options. The default will move all your apps to the front for faster loading. That's debateable. To do this the first time takes a little while but succeeding runs are very fast. I recommend not using that option on the first run if you can't complete a defrag or have never defragged.

I've had people post back on this board that using this version got them from 45 minutes on 30 and 40 GB drives to 3 to 5 minutes or from never finishing to a completed defrag.

Also, if you're interested, I recommend a once every other week defrag. Others disagree but if you use your PC for more than just a mail box then it can only help. It can't hurt.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!