Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Change default TEMP folder location

(!)

Senior Member with 828 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 10:45 AM #1
Change default TEMP folder location
I have a partitioned hard drive. Now the temp is in c:
I would like to have windows recognize the temp folder as being in d: instead of c: because c: does not have enouph room to hold some temp files.
Can I do that?
Member with 6,427 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 11:09 AM #2
Few weeks ago, I guess it was ilusha2 who posted about moving the Favorites folder to a different location and Mosaic1 suggested the member to move the folder directly in Explorer and that the changes would be made to the registry dynamically!

All I want to say now is that, I've tried what Mo posted then and its working very well for me, no problems at all. So move the Temp folder manually, do a restart and everything should be fine!

Check that and post back!

08-Oct-2002, 11:17 AM #3
I already deleted the temp folder in c:windows. Is that a problem and which program or what can I do to check to see if it changed in the registry. In other words, how can I get the computer to write to the temp folder?
Member with 85 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 11:22 AM #4
Edit your c:\autoexec.bat. If there is a line in there similar to "set temp= ..." modify that, otherwise add one. Simply "set temp=d:\temp" will work (make sure that you have created d:\temp).
Member with 6,427 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 11:54 AM #5
I dont think the settings in the autoexec.bat file would've any effect on the windows registry!

When did you delete the Temp folder? As a matter of fact, I deleted the Temp folder too(by mistake) and I recreated it manually just the new folder and ..., I've no problems at all!

But, simply create a folder, Temp as you want to and then use it to store the Temp files and that shouldnt cause any problems!

08-Oct-2002, 12:08 PM #6
I tried editing the autoexec but I don't know how to stimulate the computer to use the temp folder to test it.
Member with 6,427 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 12:18 PM #7
On other thoughts, you better create a Temp folder in the C:\Windows rather than the other drive!

If you've any files likes, documents, pictures, movies and other such files, move them to the other drive and dont change the location of the Temp folder!

There are a lot of programs' settings in the registry that you've to change for the programs to run without any errors!

So IMHO, move any stand-alone files to other drive and leave the C:\Windows\Temp folder as it is

08-Oct-2002, 12:22 PM #8
Thank you for your help.
It is too bad I have to leave the temp in c:
Member with 6,427 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 12:28 PM #9
You're welcome!

But dont you have any files that you can move to the other drive? Just curious!

08-Oct-2002, 12:49 PM #10
I figuered I would only need about 1 gigabite for windows. I partitioned my drive c:1 d:13.5.
All I have on c: is what windows installed and one other small program.

I have already had to delete files from the temp folder that took up about 500 megs. That is why I wanted to change the location of it.
Member with 6,427 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 12:55 PM #11
What??? 500/1024 MB for the Temp folder??? Were you storing any files there or how did that much data get into that folder?

BTW, you must be knowing this but NONE of the files in the Temp folder are actually needed by Windows! It can/should be cleared regularly!

08-Oct-2002, 12:59 PM #12
I think my cd burning program did it.
I wasn't sure if I could delete all the files in temp or not (I did anyway) but thanks for the insight. Now I know for sure.

Can I set up a scheduled task or something to delete everything everyday?
Member with 6,427 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 01:07 PM #13
Np

Best way would be to delete the files manually! Just before you shutdown the computer or just when you start it you can delete them manually!

But, if you really want to do it in a different way, then there was a thread here recently about a batch file and deleting the contents of the Temp folder. So will look for that and will post if needed!

08-Oct-2002, 01:20 PM #14
If there is another way instead of manually deleting them I would like to go that route.
Member with 6,427 posts.

08-Oct-2002, 01:25 PM #15
Ok!

Check this link and everything will be clear -

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...threadid=96135

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!