Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't connect to game servers.

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

02-Nov-2002, 04:08 PM #1
Unhappy Can't connect to game servers.
I have a HP Pavilion comp with a 500 Mhz Intel Celeron processor, 13GB hard drive, 64 MB of memory, and running Win98se. I use a 56K to connect to the internet.
I've just recently replaced my Hard Drive and I guess that's when it happened. When I try to connect to a game server, a popup tells me that I "Failed to connect to server"...

TY if you can help, same if you can't.
Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Slayer of Spyware
02-Nov-2002, 05:49 PM #2
First of all we need a little more details... what game were you trying to play?

02-Nov-2002, 09:19 PM #3
There's plenty more games that doesn't work due to this problem, but for an example, ARC (http://arc.sierra.com/) and Subspace/Continuum (http://www.subspacehq.com/). ARC is the game I was referring to in my last post.

06-Nov-2002, 09:22 PM #4
*bump*
*boink*
AtreideS AtreideS is offline   AtreideS has a birthday soon!
Senior Member with 651 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Nov-2002, 10:18 PM #5
We probably need some more information. Does the internet work fine? Can you get a list of all severs running the games you want to play? I'm assuming this is all true, as it seems you can get to the stage of connecting to a server, but then it fails.
When you got your new harddrive, did you reinstall all your games? or did you just copy them to the new harddrive? A fresh install might help (make sure you backup your saved games). Anymore information you can provide will be helpful.

07-Nov-2002, 06:09 PM #6
The internet works fine for a 56K, and yes I can get a list of the servers but...well look for yourself.
http://www.geocities.com/fireflash2k/ARC.jpg

And as to whether I copied my files over to the new HD, well stupid of me but I didn't back my old HD up; since the wipeout of my old HD happened suddenly and I don't even know what caused it. So I had to download and reinstall everything.

07-Nov-2002, 10:15 PM #7
Additional Info: I use CompuServe to connect to the internet. I read a post in another forum that says that "Compuserve probably blocked your connection to the game". Is this true? I posted a thread in the CompuServe forum inquiring for the answer to this, but so far, no reply. Guess I should expect that but I still need to know so I can drop this P.O.S. ISP!! (Ignore the POS acronym if you know what that means, and if you don't, feel free to ignore it too).

07-Nov-2002, 10:38 PM #8
Ok, well I'm not sure about the CompuServe connection. But I do suggest you email them directly, and get a response from them. I don't understand why they would want to block you from using your internet connection though? Seems strange to me.

08-Nov-2002, 05:32 PM #9
Well to my knowledge, CompuServe is an affiliate or another branch of AOHell and it's bent on causing grief and headaches to those that can't afford a better connection. Anyway, here's an excerpt from their FAQ page. I hope you can use it to help me since I have little knowledge of how to configure a LAN and such...:

"How to use other Net programs using CS2000

CS2000 does not use Dial-Up Networking (DUN) but rather the special connection created by AOL.

To run other Internet applications such as Netscape, Quicken, ICQ etc. over a CS2000 connection you must first CONNECT with CS2000, then run the other application.

Other applications will not likely be able to start the connection.

You may have to change your third-party software's settings to 'Connect using Default Winsock' or 'Connect using LAN'. "

Last edited by FireFlash2K; 08-Nov-2002 at 05:47 PM..

09-Nov-2002, 05:59 AM #10
Hmm.. that doesn't sound promising. Ok let's go over it all again. Are you first establishing an internet connectio using CS2000, then opening up the game, then getting a server list, then then trying to connect to a server, and then finding it can't connect?
Are any of the games your trying supported by Gamespy? It might be interesting to see if you can launch the game through that. (Gamespy - is a server browsing application that allows you to see a list of game servers).
Oh by the way, have you tried contacting Compuserve's tech support (I assume they have one)

09-Nov-2002, 09:47 AM #11
How do you access the Gamespy browser? I went to http://www.gamespy.com/ but couldn't find it.

Quote:
Ok let's go over it all again. Are you first establishing an internet connectio using CS2000, then opening up the game, then getting a server list, then then trying to connect to a server, and then finding it can't connect?
Yeah, that's pretty much it. And as to CS's tech support, they have a forum but I haven't found their tech support hotline yet.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!