Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help me I tried everything to overclock

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Oct-2011, 01:23 PM #16
Just tryin to get what I can out of it without going too far. I have heat sensors installed so I can make sure it doesnt get too hot
Member with 223 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Oct-2011, 02:11 PM #17
Take everyone's opinion on board. Your laptop is not for gaming, at all. The Sempron was created with business users in-mind and it cater's for that audience just fine (or so its advertised that way now). The on-board graphics is there as a basic display adapter to display necessities like your desktop and some entertainment, e.g. movies. I understand your frustration and that you want to play these games properly but in order to do so you'll need a new system.
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

20-Oct-2011, 02:21 PM #18
What about my desktop? 3.6 Ghz dual core processor, Nividia Geforce 6150 SE? 4Gb of ram?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,438 posts.

20-Oct-2011, 05:33 PM #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaman123 View Post
What about my desktop? 3.6 Ghz dual core processor, Nividia Geforce 6150 SE? 4Gb of ram?
What's the brand name, model name, and model number of your desktop?

If it has an AMD or Intel 3.6 GHz dual core processor and 4 GB of RAM, things are looking up.

The NVIDIA integrated graphics should be upgraded to a video card that can handle the demands of gaming.

If you do upgrade to a video card, you need to make sure the power supply wattage is sufficient to handle it and the demands of gaming.

--------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

20-Oct-2011, 11:06 PM #20
umm its only a compaq presario sr5250 but i have upgraded the ram and the processor heatsink and fan. I have another 150 watts that i can use I do believe
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

20-Oct-2011, 11:07 PM #21
Oh and Im not too clear on how to install a graphics card because yes i think it is intergrated because its a tiny chip on my MOBO
Moderator with 63,647 posts.

21-Oct-2011, 07:23 AM #22
installing a vid card is a ton easier than overclocking; open the case, install the card, shut the case, install the drivers, disable the onboard, and away you go.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

21-Oct-2011, 08:55 AM #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaman123 View Post
umm its only a compaq presario sr5250 but i have upgraded the ram and the processor heatsink and fan. I have another 150 watts that i can use I do believe
is it a

Compaq Presario SR5250AP

or

Compaq Presario SR5250CF

Both models have a PCI Express x16 slot for adding a video card.

If it's not one of those models, advise what the product number(P/N) on the sticker is.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

24-Oct-2011, 11:29 AM #24
I will have to look at home but I think it is the CF model. Thanks everyone i will let you know what it is.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

02-Nov-2011, 05:55 PM #25
These folks are right, you cannot overclock that chip. But these folks are dead wrong about this being a useless bottom of the line non gaming CPU. They are full of Crap just because they lack knowledge and experience.

I use the CQ61 with the Simpron II M120 processor and even the ATI 4200 HD with 256 dedicated MB's of ram ( shared up to 1.2 gigabytes using system ram) The PC comes with 2 gigs of ram, and I added another 2 gig stick for under 50 bucks for a total of 4 gigs of system ram.

On this laptop I play all of today's newest games like Dead Island, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Rage, Crysis 1 and 2, you name it I can play it with great frame rates and on medium to high settings. Shadows HDR and Bloom sometimes slow me down so I lessen or disable them. I always keep textures on high and use no more than 2 AA. This gets the job done very nicely. You don't need anymore than that to make the game look great and play great. This CPU and GPU combo is great for a cheap gaming laptop. I also use this PC to record and edit video in HD. Naysayers are either ignorant of the power of this PC, how to properly configure the PC for gaming or they are full of it.

I do use a couple of tweaks to help out the processor.

Truth is Windows doesn't need much to run itself or your games or video programs. Even with a crappy CPU and GPU most bottlenecks are from memory leaks and tons of background running processes and services that are not needed.

I type in Msconfig.exe in the search bar and open it. Under general tab go to Selective Startup and uncheck load startup items. In the Startup tab click Disable All. Then go to the Services tab and type Hide Microsoft services. Now click Disable all. reboot. Your system will be screaming fast now with tons of resources available. But you can make it better by running a program like Iobit's Gamebooster or Game Fire or GBoost. Configure and run one of these tools to let it clean your ram and free up even more extra background processes you don't need. Now try to play your games. If you get an error message saying you need a driver or services to run, ( depending on if you are video editing or gaming) go back to Msconfig and only enable those drivers and services you need to run for that software you will be using for that session. You may have to enable two or three software drivers or services if you are using more than one program.

When you are done working or playing the game just re-enable the settings in MSconfig that you made and reboot to go back to normal. You could just leave these settings like this all the time for a fast pc for everyday use and only enable drivers and services as you need them for certain applications.

In this way you tailor your system to have the most resources available for the programs you need at the time. You would not think I could do good video editing on a single core 300 dollar laptop with only 256 mb of dedicated ram from a on board video chip or play high end games with at least medium settings but with these tweaks I can and do it well.

Hope this helps. Don't toss that system yet, these folks simply have no clue what they are talking about.

02-Nov-2011, 06:04 PM #26
One starts using Iobit, and one will have a doorstop in no time flat. Great way to kill a system, IMO, and in the opinion of a lot of people here as well.
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2011, 06:13 PM #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnphoenix2009 View Post

But these folks are dead wrong about this being a useless bottom of the line non gaming CPU. They are full of Crap just because they lack knowledge and experience.

Don't toss that system yet, these folks simply have no clue what they are talking about.
So nice to be appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------

02-Nov-2011, 06:16 PM #28
also, as opposed to disabling ALL the services and msconfig items, I highly recommend visiting black viper's site and reading about your particular system and what it's intended use will be. He has tweaks for just about every possible configuration out there, and it's also a great way to learn about which does what.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2011, 06:18 PM #29
Oops! I missed that one.

Yep. BAD advice.

---------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

02-Nov-2011, 10:10 PM #30
Sorry if my saying your advice was Crap and you didn't know what you were talking about offended some folks, but lets face it, your giving advice based on hearsay not facts. I actually have the system in question and I know what it can do or not do.

Yeah yeah yeah, I have heard so called experts say not to use MSconfig but I have never heard one good reason why you should not. I'm using the tool for what it was designed for. I have never had any problems with it. It simply works as it should.

Yes, you could manually use Black Vipers website to tweak your system, Or you could use SMART Utility v2. It is based on Black Vipers settings and can make all the same tweaks with one click on a button. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/smart-...ta-xp-services.

However, it depends on who you talk to just like some of you bash Msconfig - some websites think Black Vipers tweaks are so damaging to a system, they do not allow post about Black Viper and anyone who insists doing so gets banned.

I find my solution to work just fine, although you could also disable many microsoft services by hand that are not needed, instead of hiding them. I only suggest this for folks willing to spend the time researching processes and services.

I think people should study the tools, and processes and services to know what they are and if you can safely use/disable them. Instead of telling the OP to spend time doing that, I was giving him the short way to do it.

Valis, How does Iobit or another tool like Gamefire or Gboost "kill a system" ? All it does is temporarily disable some unneeded processes and services for gaming, as well as defrag ram and defrag game folders.. so.. how is any of that going to "Kill a system" ? It's just doing automatically what many people recommend to do manually. I think you must be thinking of another Iobit utility that is known to cause problems.

Last edited by johnphoenix2009; 02-Nov-2011 at 10:25 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
amd, game, overclock, sempron, speed

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!