Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How to Play Xbox 360 on Laptop Monitor

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Jan-2012, 05:42 PM #1
Solved: How to Play Xbox 360 on Laptop Monitor
Hello. I'm about to move into a little box of a dorm room soon and was wondering if it would be possible, or financially credible, to use my laptop as a monitor to play my xbox 360 on. I know this has been addressed before, but I keep seeing a number of different options. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L645 with Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. My xbox is one of those newer ones, black and thinner than the original ones, and it has a built in wireless...um...receiver? Anyway, I don't mind spending a little money on a certain cord or even a capture card, but my budget is very tight, and I don't want to spend more than $30-$50 if I can. Thank you for your time.
Computer Specs
Member with 828 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jan-2012, 09:11 PM #2
I don't believe this is possible. You laptop monitor connects to your computer part of your laptop via metal contacts. It may be possible only if there is some cable (vga, dvi, ect.) that has the same amount of contacts. But anyway you would have take the monitor off of your laptop, and then make hardware modifications. So it is either not possible or not feasible.
Computer Specs

11-Jan-2012, 12:55 PM #3
So... There's nothing I can just plug into the computer for it to work? My computer is made in a way that keeps me from doing it? You would think that a console made by Microsoft would be more compatible with computers...
Computer Specs
Member with 828 posts.

11-Jan-2012, 02:17 PM #4
There is no monitor input on your computer like the is on a normal monitor. All laptops have are video out ports, there are no video in. You can get a cheap TV, or by a external monitor that you can connect your laptop to, as long as it has an HDMI port. But that will be over $50. I did just look that up real quick and it is possible through the computer not a direct connection to the monitor, but you would need USB 3.0, or a eSATA port. Do you have either?
Computer Specs

11-Jan-2012, 10:13 PM #5
I just looked real quick, and it looks like I have an eSATA port. It says "eSATA/(symbol for USB)". Does that help any?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

11-Jan-2012, 11:19 PM #6
You need to understand some basics of video inputs and outputs. A game console doesn't have a screen. That means it needs to output the video to some kind of display device that accepts the console's outputs. The display device needs to have corresponding inputs.

TV's are designed to display video and audio from multiple different sources such as consoles, DVD players, and even computers.

Laptops are designed to display video from their own internal parts. Laptops don't have video inputs.

eSATA is a storage interface. It allows you to connect a SATA drive externally rather than internally. It has nothing to do with audio or video.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,920 posts.

12-Jan-2012, 12:19 AM #7
eSATA are genrally for exernal hard drives.

What you are looking for is something to capture the video feed. Most likely solution is to get a USB video capture box/cable like this one however I haven't used anything like this before so I am unable to confirm if it works the way you need it to.
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2012, 04:44 AM #8
@DoubleHelix I was seeing that on other threads and sites. I just didn't know if it would be different for different kinds of computers. If what you're saying is true, then I should probably abandon this "project".

@Couriant I also saw this option. If it works, then that might work out. However, DoubleHelix's advice seems to say differently...

@ajkane What is the importance of an eSATA port? Are you thinking, like Couriant, that I could use it for a capture card?

Thank you for your time and patience, guys. I know very little about computer hardware...

12-Jan-2012, 08:09 AM #9
You don't use an eSATA port to connect to a capture card. It's strictly for hard drives. You'd connect a capture card to a USB port.

I doubt a capture card will work. I suspect you'd experience poor video quality and lag. Look for more info in Xbox-specific forums or sites.
Computer Specs
Member with 828 posts.

12-Jan-2012, 10:06 AM #10
Sorry about the eSATA thing, I read the wrong post on a different forum.
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2012, 11:05 AM #11
It's alright. I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and bring a tv with me. All of this is just more technical than I was wanting to deal with right now. Thank you all for your help!
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2012, 07:50 AM #12
you need to get a HD/VGA cable, one end goes to the xbox and the other goes to your laptop, they cost about $20, not much for what it gives you, it shows the screen in HD, just like a tv really.

22-Jan-2012, 10:23 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscopess View Post
you need to get a HD/VGA cable, one end goes to the xbox and the other goes to your laptop, they cost about $20, not much for what it gives you, it shows the screen in HD, just like a tv really.
I don't think so. You can't connect the output port from an XBox to the output port on a laptop.
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2012, 10:26 AM #14
yes, one end of the lead goes directly into the xbox and the other end goes directly into the laptop.

22-Jan-2012, 10:27 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscopess View Post
yes, one end of the lead goes directly into the xbox and the other end goes directly into the laptop.
How do you get video output from the Xbox to the laptop by connecting to the video output port on the laptop?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!