Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System crashing on Minecraft startup.

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Feb-2012, 10:54 PM #1
System crashing on Minecraft startup.
Hey guys, got a pretty bad problem going on over here.

So I had to buy a new PC today (My **** of an ex stole my good one, :\) and got it pretty cheap.

Problem was, the specs are decent for the money I paid, except when it came to the GPU. GPU was pretty awful, sitting at 128MB of ram, so I threw in an old one I had from an older PC, yet every time I open Minecraft it completely freezes my system. I can move the mouse for 1-2 seconds before it locks up. Needs a hard boot after that point. But before putting in the new GPU, Minecraft ran fine. It also ran fine on it's original PC. I also swapped out for a more powerful PSU which was in the same computer as the GPU before hand. The PC the GPU and PSU were in, was a much more powerful machine than this one, so I don't believe it to be a PSU problem.

I've already given Java more ram, aswell as switch between 32-bit and 64-bit Java installations, and the only minor difference seems to be that when it locks up on the 64-bit version, little blues lines appear all over the screen and flicker constantly, the 32-bit version doesn't do this.

Note: This only appears to happen in Minecraft, any other game or application seems to be working fine such as Firefox, Doom(Skulltag), Skype, using Youtube (To check flash) and a few other little programs like speccy, AVG and Speedfan. Minecraft seems to be the only culprit. My guess it's a Java problem that I'm unaware of, or know how to fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

PSU = Power Supply Unit
GPU = Graphics Processing Unit

Specs:

PC Wizard 2012 Version 2.0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: User
User: User
Computer Name: EMACHINES
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600
Report Date: Wednesday 29 February 2012 at 22:31

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : eMachines ET1352

> Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V

> Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 250 @ 3000MHz

> Physical Memory : 3072MBDDR3-SDRAM

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

> Hard Disk : Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (750GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD A DH16AASH

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL E197FP - 19 inches

> Network Card : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 3.2 on 7.9

***** End of report *****

Note: I'm using the nVidia card, not the integrated chipset.

Thanks.

- Greg
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
05-Mar-2012, 12:22 AM #2
did you update your video car driver or your diretx ??
----------------------------
blackberry unlock codes
Computer Specs
Member with 482 posts.

15-Mar-2012, 12:35 AM #3
Well if you said it worked fine on 32 bit then why not go back to 32 bit? I have 32 bit and i play on max at high fps with no lag.
Member with 48 posts.

29-Mar-2012, 11:04 AM #4
Bear in mind, Minecraft is not particularily system efficient. It could be overloading something with the improved GPU. I am not the best with hardware but perhaps to put it into other words you may have a tap with high water flow and the pipes can't keep up?
Anything after the GPU might be overworked? It's just a shot in the dark.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
crash, freeze, gpu, minecraft, nvidia

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!