Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop keeps shutting down after 5 to 20 minutes re: minecraft.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Apr-2012, 07:31 PM #1
Laptop keeps shutting down after 5 to 20 minutes re: minecraft.
Been playing MC for ages now, since 1.8. Played for hours on end, enjoying it, addicted, you know. Even got a teeshirt, ring tones, etc.

In this post I'll tell what's going on, put ALL my pc info up, java info, what mods, how I got my java's set, etc, so this should be an information-thorough sort of post.

THE ISSUE:
As of two days ago, I could play MC for hours on end with zero issues. I /have/ had fps issues but decided to try the Optifine with the duo core version and my fps shot to 300 and now stay around 60 to 90. Not bad from having 3 to 10 before that. This is NOT an Optifine issue, for the record (at least my post point is not. could BE the issue if it turns out later; may need a different opti, but we'll come to that later. I put that Opti version on about a week ago, keep this in mind.

Two days ago, my pc shut off. Just like that. No warning, nothing. Took a while before I could put it back on. Once it did so a few more times, I trouble shooted via google and friends: perhaps the fan/heat sink is clogged. So I got it cleaned yesterday via a professional as I won't risk that myself. I wanted to ensure it WAS MC and not something else. All other games run fine (steam based, online based) but seems MC is the culprit.

I put on a core temp reader and it holds at 50 celcius (I'm in the Fahrenheit land so I have to google convert those) until I run MC; it gets up to about 80 and shuts the pc off. Completely. Even with the fan and such cleaned.

PC SPECS:

Asus Republic of Gamers laptop.
Model: G60Vx Series
Manufactured in 2010
Win 7 Professional SP1
Ram: 4g
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU: P7450 @ 2.13ghz 2.13 ghz
System Type: 64 bit OS
Graphics: Nvidia GEforce GTX 260M

(the 2.13 Ghz was written twice. I copied all as shown)

JAVA AND JAVA SETTINGS
Java 6 (for internet)
Java 7 (for minecraft)

both are up to date as new as can be.

As per the instructions in the forums here, I have allocated the Java parameters to run at:

(I see I have two java 7's on here. Hm.)
1.7 version 1.7.0_04
1.7 version 1.7.0_03
1.6 version 1.6.0_31

I used to have the parameters set to 2g, but seems those got erased. Odd. For now, unless someone specifies differently, I disabled the 1.7.0_03 one.
Actually, I'll disable the version 6 as well. I put that on only because my firefox and opera etc were bawwing because my java wasn't up to date and it doesn't recognize 7 yet.

- I since removed all Java off my pc and reinstalled a clean version of Java 7. I first tried 6 but MC wouldn't accept it, though it ran right off with 7 - before shutting my pc down again.

MODS:
I am running 1.2.5 MC for the record.

Curious if mods mean anything or not as the same total pc shutdown happened while using the technic launcher as well. Either way, to be on the thorough safe side, I'll put them down. Yes, all are the correct versions.

Mod loader
Mod loader MP
Audiomod
MC patcher
Rei's Minimap
BetterDungeons
Optifine (for duo core)
Too Many Items
Equivalent Exchange
Forge

CORE TEMP:

I downloaded a temp thing and changed it from celcius to fahrenheit since C tells me nothing. When I start my pc, it's around 131 degrees Fahrenheit. Soon as I put on Minecraft, it jumps to 165 to 170 deg Fahrenheit. Soon as I turn off MC, it jumps back down to a cool 131. It did go to 128 once. Right now while surfing in Firefox and chatting on facebook messenger and running photoshop and playing music in my real player, (NO minecraft on) it's holding steady at 132 fahrenheit. I got the same temp for skyrim and fallout NV.

It's definitely Java with Minecraft or SOME thing. Help?

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I hope someone could help. I'm able to run huge games like Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas and the sort flawlessly and, as said, up to two days ago was running MC like a charm. I have my in game settings to either off or fast, no far rendering, nothing that would be system draining, saves are set for 30 minutes, etc etc.

Lappy has been cleaned thoroughly, fan IS running and working as it should be.
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Apr-2012, 11:05 PM #2
Are you saying that ONLY in Minecraft your temps jump up to 80?! This is very unusual...Are you doing any overclocking? Your laptop should NEVER get that hot under factory clocks seeing that your TjMax is 85c. Mine is 100c and I only get to 68 tops under full load CPU, and GPU. Try putting your laptop on its side, make sure nothing is blocking any vents, and run a program like Core Temp (I don't know what you are using now) that can set overheat protection. Because every time your computer shuts down like that it has reached the TjMax which is the point where your CPU can start to take damage. And one thing to test if this is really minecraft, download this (OCCT) it is stress testing software which will monitor your fan speeds, temps, voltage, etc. Set it to Power Supply mode and run it for about an hour to 30 min. Power supply mode stresses your CPU and GPU so it will generate the most heat. Tell us the results of the stress test.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,393 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 01:44 AM #3
The temps you are reaching are warm but not that unusual for a laptop and are within spec for that CPU. Max temps for the P7450 is 90C (194F) and you are hitting 76C (169F), having said that your system could still be setup with a thermal cutoff around that temp to protect the CPU.
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 07:51 AM #4
That's usual for the cutoff to be so low! But the issue here is why it is getting this hot, because this only happens in minecraft (not very GPU demanding) and doesn't happen in high end games like skyrim which is CPU AND GPU demanding, so it should generate more heat then minecraft, if I can get the results of the stress test we can hopefully figure out when you your computer overheats and under what circumstances. Thanks tanis for pointing that out.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 02:52 PM #5
setting up the stress test now
I tested and again, Minecraft caused my pc to turn off.

The other day I ran 5 youtube vids, music off my real player, had adobe cs4's flash and photoshop running, firefox and opera and was logged into steam, plus chatting on skype, facebook desktop chat client and steam chat - and my pc never went above 131 deg fahrenheit.

I'll be back with that stress test thing. I may run minecraft for a second test if that will work just to show you. It goes from 129-131 fahrenheit to 165-170 within 2 minutes of starting the game. So annoying. ugh.

be back shortly.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 03:01 PM #6
Unsure how to use this program, the OCCT, but I just hit the power supply, hit ON and instantly it said in red "GPU core over maximum value! value reached, 106, max value: 85

I think it stopped after 6 seconds? gave me all these screenshots?

I really don't know how to use this at all. I think I did something wrong. And I can't make the screen bigger or anything xD
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 06:27 PM #7
okay, I found a way to disable all of the 'turn off at this point' things so now I have it running. I'm not sure if I'm to surf normally and put on minecraft or what. So I'm just going to stay on facebook and play some music while this thing runs. Where do you get the final information at so I can post it here?
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 11:38 PM #8
Wait! That is saying your GPU is at 106c!!! It turned itself off so it doesn't damage your computer! That is WAY too hot for ANY component, something is definitively wrong with your cooling! Post a series of the screen shots, of a time that it ran for 20 or more min.
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 11:40 PM #9
btw 106c= 222.8f extremely hot!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!