Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BlackScreen and Auto Reboot During Games

(!)

Member with 223 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2012, 07:19 PM #16
In the specifications for the Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3, I found this.

"Memory: Support for DDR2 1333(OC)/1066(Note 3)/800/667 MHz memory modules"

It shows no support for 400 MHz, so it could be that your memory just isn't up to gaming or maybe even some of the more common tasks. However, I can't make any promises that this is the key problem.

Maybe sticks like this would be more appropriate: Mushkin Silverline DDR2 800MHz

If you know any other way you can grab some sticks just to test your rig, that would be a nice plus.

By the way, you haven't overclocked your rig at all have you?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 10:06 PM #17
I am almost certain that the issue is not with Motherboard and RAM compatibility since i have had the ram since i bought the motherboard and i have never had any trouble until i bought my new gpu.

also if i put in another gpu (my friends gts 240) the problem goes away so that leads me to believe it is the gpu, either bad ram or some kind of incompatibility.

also i took the card back to the shop and they ran their tests but they could not reproduce the issue so i dont know
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 03:08 AM #18
i have not personally overclocked my system, but my graphics card is a factory OC card.

also i left my computer after watching a movie with windows media player, came back to this (points to attached picture) this is the first time ive seen this.

Attached Thumbnails
BlackScreen and Auto Reboot During Games-img_20120625_170217.jpg  
Member with 223 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 05:05 PM #19
You would be surprised at how different components interact lol.

I had a 9500GT a while back, swapped it out for a HD 6770 and I was having problems quite similar to your own. The problem? My memory wasn't clocked right.

It seems strange that your new graphics card would crash the rest of your system out when previously, it was working fine. You could try using OverDrive in the Catalyst Control Centre to underclock your GPU. However, make sure you only lower the clock speeds 20MHz each time, then test.

So... Lower 20MHz -> Apply changes -> Run game -> See how it goes. Repeat this until you've reduced the clock speed by about 60MHz overall. If you have any issues doing this, just say and I'll try and provide more details.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 10:31 PM #20
since my gpu was factory overclocked i have underclocked it to the same speed as the not overclocked version, still crashing ( non over clocked verson is 50 lower on both gpu core and memory)
Member with 223 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 08:17 AM #21
Well, I didn't want to put you through this but it's memtest time.

If you're unaware of what memtest is, it's a program that runs via your BIOS and performs diagnostics on your rigs memory and will usually spot any big issues with it.

Option 1: Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

A file to be burned to a 'bootable' disk and started through the BIOS.

Option 2: USB Installer

If you have a USB stick available, this can usually make things much easier. I haven't used memtest in a while but I believe this program installs the necessary files to a USB drive so its available to boot through your BIOS.

You can find detailed instructions on how to setup the USB drive here.

Source: http://www.memtest.org/

I haven't used memtest in a while so if you're looking for instruction, I'd suggest using the official forum here. Or maybe, one of TSG's more memtest experienced people will have some input.

As a side note: This program takes a LONG time to do its thing, I mean, start it up and leave it over night long.

If you have any further questions, fire away. I'm still placing bets on your RAM but we shall see mh?

-SJ

Last edited by Sick_Jargon; 26-Jun-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 12:48 AM #22
thank you i will run that tonight. i reinstalled windows last night to see if there was something conflicting with my system (drivers or progrmas etc) but now my graphics card wont show up, like in my gpu meters, or even in catalyst. however when i run a benchmark i still get same scores so it seems to be using it just not letting me get any info on it
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jun-2012, 09:08 AM #23
When talking about the card working but not being detected by the OS I can say that I had similar problems with my sound card. It worked semi-fine, I mean it did work, but sometimes threw some errors. Funny thing was that OS didn't detect it at all... Problem lied in the way the card was plugged into the PCI socket - it wasn't fully plugged, I had to use a little bit of force to plug it fully in. What amazed me was the fact that the card actually played sound, but none of the software could detect it.

It leads me to thinking that your problems may lie in the PCI-E/AGP socket not having a full connection with the graphics card. If you have 2 PCI-E/AGP sockets try your card on each of them, it's at least worth a shot to ensure that it's nothing wrong with the socket itself.
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 11:55 AM #24
I have a 7950 and haven't had any reboots, what driver version are you using?
Member with 223 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 04:37 PM #25
Hi Loui5D,

He has already updated his drivers as stated earlier in the thread.

While you may not have issues with this particular graphics card, I'm sure you're not using exactly the same hardware or configuration as Highesey. So different issues can arise.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 11:07 PM #26
apart from the not showign up in any of my gadgets now (only since i installed windows again) i am still getting the bsod 116 crash. this time even when im just going through the internet
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 08:30 AM #27
Have you tried putting your old video card back in to see if it works? If it does then I would return the new one. If it doesn't work it would be the slot on the mobo.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

29-Jun-2012, 07:15 AM #28
the old card works fine. always has. already took the new one back ages ago but they found no fault. also memtest had no luck
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 03:16 AM #29
okay update.
reinstalled windows again.
everything back to how it was at the start of this thread.
Still crashing
Latest Drivers
Tried with only one hdd plugged in and still crashing so not a ps issue.
im lost...
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 09:06 AM #30
Can you try the 7950 in another computer?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen, crash, no error message, reboot

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!