Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Major FPS Problem! Help!

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jun-2012, 07:07 PM #1
Major FPS Problem! Help!
Guys.. I have a major issue with my FPS's. It will seriously be fine within the first 10 minutes of starting up my computer. Then this will happen.

Immediately one would assume that it's a heating problem. Opened up my laptop and cleaned the fan extensively with compressed air and even put an ice pack under my laptop. Lol!

Nope, nothing. Problem is still rampant and is not giving up.

As for my computer being able to run it, believe me, it can run it.

Specs:

i7 2760QM @ 2.4 GHz
8GB DDR3 Memory
GTX 555M 3GB
NO SSD
64-bit system

Please help me...
Member with 223 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2012, 07:17 PM #2
Hi Wolverinetree,

I would like to help though I can't see what the problem is exactly. I saw it drop to 43 fps which is an acceptable rate, does it drop any lower than this during gameplay?

Also, what anti-virus do you use?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2012, 08:15 PM #3
I don't see anything wrong with it either. Can you explain what you think the problem is in detail?
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Jul-2012, 12:31 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_Jargon View Post
Hi Wolverinetree,

I would like to help though I can't see what the problem is exactly. I saw it drop to 43 fps which is an acceptable rate, does it drop any lower than this during gameplay?

Also, what anti-virus do you use?
Thank you so much! The problem is that I CAN and HAVE played on 60 FPS the entire time, but when my computer's been on for about 10 minutes, it has this problem.

Yes, it can get to 30 FPS.

If you look from :05 seconds to :06 seconds in the video, you can see that my FPS drops just from looking at the same scene (a scene that does not change).
Member with 223 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 07:36 AM #5
To be honest, I saw a couple of other players right in the background. Still, your card has to render this all the while.

Anyway, I would still like to do the heat tests. If you could direct your browser to this link: hwmonitor (should start downloading right away)

Install as per, take screenshots of the monitor while your laptop is idle on the desktop and while it's underload, while playing Team Fortress (10 minutes in). Let's see what temperatures it brings up. Then drop both screens in your next post.

Edit: Again, what anti-virus are you using?

Last edited by Sick_Jargon; 05-Jul-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Member with 3 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 02:08 PM #6
I had this with TF2 as well. on my laptop it was the fan, it would slow down occassionally, I forget why. when it slowed down, the gfx card would suffer. then it would be ok again 10 minutes later. there was a little program I downloaded which stopped the fan slowing down. unfortunately I forget the name of it. but hopefully that should be enough info for you to find it and try it!!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2012, 02:34 PM #7
A couple of popular ones are RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner.
Member with 11,598 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 02:47 PM #8
Mucking around with the fan speed can cause problems...you could get a laptop cooler.

your topic is a bit misleading as Major FPS Problem. From what I see it is not major maybe slight. Just because you are standing still the card is still rendering all the frames and if this is online game your FPS will change according to Internet speed.

Try and close any programs running in the background that you do not need.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!