Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lag with a good computer


(!)

cenet1's Avatar
cenet1 cenet1 is offline
Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
02-Jul-2012, 08:40 AM #1
Lag with a good computer
I have a ASUS N55S Series laptop computer. I bought this computer so it would be able to run modern games. However that has not been the case. I can't run games from 2008 using high specs. My graphics card is a Nvidia GT 555. My CPU is a I7-2670QM (2.2 GHZ). I have 8gb RAM and I use a windows 64 bit operating system. Why can't I run any games with good specs?

Edit: 60 views no replies oh wow

Last edited by cenet1; 02-Jul-2012 at 09:08 AM..
Holyjoely's Avatar
Holyjoely Holyjoely is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Experience: Intermediate
02-Jul-2012, 09:31 AM #2
I think that the problem is your GPU. It only get's a score of 746 on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/, which is fairly low. To give you a comparison, the HD5770 which I have in one of my computers get's a score of 1600, which is good enough to run older games on their maximum settings but can only handle newer, more demanding games (such as BF3) on low/medium settings. As your score is half of that I expect that this is the reason that you aren't able to run games on the highest settings. Your CPU and RAM seem fine to me.
cenet1's Avatar
cenet1 cenet1 is offline
Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
02-Jul-2012, 10:08 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyjoely View Post
I think that the problem is your GPU. It only get's a score of 746 on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/, which is fairly low. To give you a comparison, the HD5770 which I have in one of my computers get's a score of 1600, which is good enough to run older games on their maximum settings but can only handle newer, more demanding games (such as BF3) on low/medium settings. As your score is half of that I expect that this is the reason that you aren't able to run games on the highest settings. Your CPU and RAM seem fine to me.
It is not about that I see people on youtube play the newest games with max res and high settings with the exact same computer. Even if it was the gpu we are talking about not being able to run a game that released in 2008 with high settings. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: I feel like my computer does not use its full capacity maybe thats the problem and it needs optimization. Still need more help.

Last edited by cenet1; 02-Jul-2012 at 10:26 AM..
tom6049's Avatar
tom6049 tom6049 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 770 posts.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Experience: Advanced
02-Jul-2012, 01:07 PM #4
Does this laptop have switchable graphics (the ability to use the Nvidia or the integrated Intel video)?
Maybe the GT555M isn't being used...
Tanis's Avatar
Tanis   (Shane) Tanis is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 3,279 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
03-Jul-2012, 02:57 AM #5
What resolution are you running at? In my opinion, anything over 720p is too much for that GPU really and it will probably struggle.

I would be surprised if anyone is running the latest games with max res and high settings on that machine, the GPU simply isn't up to it, can you provide links?

The benchmarks Holyjoely posted are a good start to get an idea on the ability of the card, although the score he said was for the 550m not the 555m. The 555m scores 1,006 on the high end GPU chart which is lower than an 8800GTX at 1,046 and the 8800 series card were released in 2007, that should give you a good idea on the cards capability.
cenet1's Avatar
cenet1 cenet1 is offline
Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
03-Jul-2012, 07:28 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
What resolution are you running at? In my opinion, anything over 720p is too much for that GPU really and it will probably struggle.

I would be surprised if anyone is running the latest games with max res and high settings on that machine, the GPU simply isn't up to it, can you provide links?

The benchmarks Holyjoely posted are a good start to get an idea on the ability of the card, although the score he said was for the 550m not the 555m. The 555m scores 1,006 on the high end GPU chart which is lower than an 8800GTX at 1,046 and the 8800 series card were released in 2007, that should give you a good idea on the cards capability.
I am running with 720p check out this video . Battlefield 3, with high specs on a even higher res. I can't run Mount and Blade Warband with high specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6049 View Post
Does this laptop have switchable graphics (the ability to use the Nvidia or the integrated Intel video)?
Maybe the GT555M isn't being used...
Maybe, this is the problem how do I make sure Nvidia is being used?
Tanis's Avatar
Tanis   (Shane) Tanis is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 3,279 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
03-Jul-2012, 07:53 AM #7
Ill have a look at the video later today, I can view it at work as my work internet is quite heavily locked down.
Holyjoely's Avatar
Holyjoely Holyjoely is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Experience: Intermediate
03-Jul-2012, 08:58 AM #8
Sorry about getting your GPU score wrong, however I still firmly believe that there is no reason for the card to be able to run BF3 on high. To get a stable 60FPS on Battlefield 3 on my HD5770 (which has a considerably higher score than GT550M that you are running) I have to put all my settings to low with a few on medium at 1080p or put the settings to medium with a few high at 720p. However, with that card you should be able to run games better than what you are describing, have you tried what is recommended in the comments of the video that you posted?

Quote:
everyne, in global settings choose powerful or nvidia processor as base profile and application 3d settings in nvidia control panel that will use the powerful nvidia processor for games
I think that the case is your laptop is either using an integrated GPU instead of your Nvidia card or it is using some sort of power-saving mode that isn't allowing the card to be used to its full capacity.
cenet1's Avatar
cenet1 cenet1 is offline
Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
03-Jul-2012, 10:22 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyjoely View Post
Sorry about getting your GPU score wrong, however I still firmly believe that there is no reason for the card to be able to run BF3 on high. To get a stable 60FPS on Battlefield 3 on my HD5770 (which has a considerably higher score than GT550M that you are running) I have to put all my settings to low with a few on medium at 1080p or put the settings to medium with a few high at 720p. However, with that card you should be able to run games better than what you are describing, have you tried what is recommended in the comments of the video that you posted?



I think that the case is your laptop is either using an integrated GPU instead of your Nvidia card or it is using some sort of power-saving mode that isn't allowing the card to be used to its full capacity.
I can guarantee that it is not in a power saving mode. Can you tell me how I can make sure my Nvidia card is being used instead of a possible integrated GPU. I didn't now try the reccomended settings that are in the vid. desc. because it is not the same game.
Tanis's Avatar
Tanis   (Shane) Tanis is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 3,279 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
03-Jul-2012, 02:54 PM #10
From what I can see that laptop doesn't have dual GPUs so that won't be the problem. If it is performing considerably worse than you think it should, my first point of call would be Asus if it is still under warranty.

If everything is working the next think I would consider would be some level of power saving, but you say you have it set to maximum performance, or I assume you have mean you have changed it to that power setting.
cenet1's Avatar
cenet1 cenet1 is offline
Member with 5 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
03-Jul-2012, 02:57 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
From what I can see that laptop doesn't have dual GPUs so that won't be the problem. If it is performing considerably worse than you think it should, my first point of call would be Asus if it is still under warranty.

If everything is working the next think I would consider would be some level of power saving, but you say you have it set to maximum performance, or I assume you have mean you have changed it to that power setting.
I am thinking of sending it to ASUS technical service. It is under warranty and nothing seems to work.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑