Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

certain games crashing

(!)

Member with 156 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 07:14 AM #1
certain games crashing
I have recently built a new pc, evrything is sweet for the majority of time until I play certain games. games that I am having trouble with are: guild wars 2, batman arkam city, dirt 2. the problem arises after a undetermined period in game which gives a black screen and a flickering of sound. there is no way out of this and I am forced to hard restart.

My system specs are:

intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz
8 gig ram
nvidia 570 gtx

I have the lastest GPU drivers and even tried the beta ones to no avail.

Any pointers would be most appreciated thank you.
Member with 223 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2012, 12:30 AM #2
Hi wdfndn,

You will have to provide more information on your system. Download Sysinfo, a safe and small program developed to display your system specifications: Here

Copy and paste the specifications it produces in your next post.

You will also need to provide the specs for your power supply, typically displayed on the side of the supply itself. We will need the Brand/Model and Wattage details.

Once we've got these details, hopefully we'll have everything we need to find a solution.
Member with 156 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 05:44 AM #3
Hi Sick_Jargon, thanks for the reply,

My power supply unit is a CIC model 650U and is rated at 650 watts

the other info you requested is below:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8097 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, 1279 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 114243 MB, Free - 22784 MB; D: Total - 595069 MB, Free - 454126 MB; E: Total - 15359 MB, Free - 10057 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
Member with 156 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 12:29 PM #4
can anyone help with this? I'm still crashing all the time.
Member with 223 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 01:33 PM #5
Hello again,

Sorry for the late response I've been a little busy.

CIC PSU's are generally low quality and are not built for the purpose of gaming, while the label states 650W it's likely it doesn't efficiently produce this power. Your graphics card also depends on a specific power supply rail (12+) and CIC PSU's usually don't generate the sort of amps for demanding hardware.

Regardless of whether this is the issue or not, I would still suggest buying a PSU from a reputable brand such as Be Quiet! or Antec.

So on to temperature, download: HWmonitor, here.

Once open, screenshot the temperatures & voltages while your PC is idle, at desktop.

Then take another screenshot of the temps alone while the PC is under load, with a game running in the background. (do this about 5 minutes in to gameplay, more accurate temps this way).

Drop these in your next post.

Apologies once again for the late reply.
Member with 156 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 08:44 AM #6
I will have to get a new PSU in the near future, I'm a bit strapped at the moment but here are the temperature results you asked for.....
Attached Thumbnails
certain games crashing-just-background.jpg   certain games crashing-game-running.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Aug-2012, 11:36 AM #7
I can't find specs on your PSU but that card requires at least 19 amps, I doubt that that card is supplying that if it has multiple 12v rails.
Member with 223 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 08:49 AM #8
So your temps are fine.. Even great.

HWMonitor doesn't appear to be coming up with any information on a 12+ rail though and if there is one, I'm going to say it isn't producing the power you need. Unfortunately, you'll have to stick to the less demanding games that aren't resulting in the crash until you are able to replace your PSU. Continuing games that are causing your system to crash may eventually damage your rig so I'd steer clear.

I hope a new PSU will resolve the issue. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!