Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Games Slow Down When Laptop is Unplugged

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Aug-2012, 09:14 PM #1
Games Slow Down When Laptop is Unplugged
Hello! First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to be posting my question in, so I apologize in advance if it's the wrong one!

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15R and I sometimes use it to play games (ie. Portal 2, L4D...). Now, I know that laptops aren't exactly ideal for gaming, but it's all I've got, and it works pretty well for gaming, even high end games. But whenever I play games, I ALWAYS have to have my laptop plugged in, because whenever it's unplugged my games start to slow down and lag. I've already tried to fix this by changing my power settings, but I still can't get the performance up to when it is plugged in. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!
Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Aug-2012, 09:26 PM #2
There also might be settings in BIOS which regulate performance levels when laptop is running on battery.
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Sep-2012, 08:30 AM #3
Sounds like the battery is low
Computer Specs
Member with 3,288 posts.

03-Sep-2012, 03:17 AM #4
Hi and welcome to TSG.

The BIOS maybe one of your only options if there are any options available there. Personally, I wouldn't play games on a laptop without it being plugged in. The extra power requirements of straining the GPU and CPU will drain the battery quickly anyway.

There are often many options / features within a laptop to try and limit power consumption when it is on battery power, these are the most likely cause of your stuttering and lag.
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Sep-2012, 02:48 PM #5
Maybe your laptop's GPU is switching to the integrated GPU(HDXXXX) when you unplug your laptop for power saving. Try to find a tweak in your GPU's control center to allways remain to the dedicated GPU.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!