Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Please help me choose!! Time constraining!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Sep-2012, 10:35 PM #1
Please help me choose!! Time constraining!
So I am building a fairly awesome computer but I don't know what graphics card to get! I want a single GTX 690 but everyone says that it is way too much overkill for playing Minecraft and SolidWorks. What should I get? Please help a guy out? Sorry in the attachment I couldn't upload the PDF i wanted to because it was 8KB over size, and the EVGA GTX690 is not in there at the moment due to being sold out/
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me choose!! Time constraining!-newegg.com-shopping-cart.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 3,306 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 02:31 AM #2
My first question would be, are you planning on overclocking? If not, personally I would ditch the water cooler as it is unecessary.

Do you need all the features of Windows 7 Ultimate? Home Premium is a perfectly good operating system for general / gaming users and would save you $190!

As for the GPU, a GTX690 is probably overkill for Minecraft (more CPU intensive than GPU) etc. However, it will provide a very good system for future proofing etc and would last quite a while. Personally, as a bit of a gamer, I would always get the best GPU I could afford when I do an upgrade which tends to only be every few years.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 08:01 AM #3
I agree with Tanis' comments.
Save some more money.
Put in a Phenom II 965BE instead of an 8150 it has better game performance.
8 GB RAM is more than sufficient.
Get rid of the water cooler put in a Hyper 212.
Definitely would choose a WD Caviar Black or RE over Seagate, much better warranty.
You don't need a PSU that big 750w is plenty.
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

23-Sep-2012, 09:27 PM #4
I often play battlefield 3 and mw3 too so that could be something to add. I host a minecraft server with about 15 people on it 8 hours a day. I used to host my server on a friends computer that had 8 gigs and it would often run out of ram within 3 hours. server is down until this computer is built. I overclock pretty hardcore. I am leaning towards 2 gtx 680s to ensure my motherboard would be less of a bottleneck just in case. I will also be liquid cooling both of these cards with water blocks from koolance later on. I am getting that psu because it is very efficient and I will not need to upgrade it when i finally get more gfx cards. I need ultimate because I like bitlocker a lot, i am quadlangual with french german spanish and english so i can use the language packs if necessary. I do not need a disc drive because I have 2 spares here, but if i was to get one i want a blu-ray reader and writer can you suggest one? Thanks for your help
Computer Specs
Member with 770 posts.

25-Sep-2012, 07:28 PM #5
I would go with (and already do) an Intel CPU.
Even a year old i7-2600K will outperform the AMD FX-8150.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

25-Sep-2012, 07:53 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6049 View Post
I would go with (and already do) an Intel CPU.
Even a year old i7-2600K will outperform the AMD FX-8150.
Yes it will, at nearly twice the price. I don't usually try to sway people between Intel and AMD unlesss there is a good reason. They both make excellent products and both have their pro's and con's.
Computer Specs
Member with 770 posts.

25-Sep-2012, 08:35 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by black-wolf View Post
Yes it will, at nearly twice the price.
I figured that since the OP has the means to spend ~$1000.00 on a EVGA GTX690,
a extra few hundred dollars on a CPU wouldn't be an issue.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

25-Sep-2012, 08:47 PM #8
He didn't ask for advice on that, if he did then it would be different. It's not like he was going to put a cheap PSU in a high end gaming rig. There are areas where the FX performs better than the 2600, perhaps one of those areas in the minecraft server. I have a good friend that wants me to build him a new gaming rig, I have tried to talk him into a 3570k or 2500k, but he wants AMD.
The money point wasn't that he could or couldn't spend the extra money, it was apples to oranges.
Computer Specs
Member with 770 posts.

25-Sep-2012, 10:32 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by black-wolf View Post
He didn't ask for advice on that.
Just trying to help.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

26-Sep-2012, 08:13 AM #10
I understand, and don't take it personal. I see a number of people that get upset when they are putting a system together and have choosen AMD and someone tells them to go for Intel. Also some say in their first post "don't tell me to go Intel".
BTW I don't think it was bad advice.
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

30-Sep-2012, 03:46 PM #11
thanks for your guys help. After all these replies, I would go for intel, but that would require running through all the specs to find sometihng compatible with up to 32gb of RAM at 1866mhz then i would need to chankge my liquid cooler because i changed it between when i posted this thread and now. The case i am getting has a build in liquid cooler res. and massive amounts of fans, so even if i didnt get liquid cooling it would be fine. I need the bulldozer because of benchamrks and test i have seen online shows that it will handle a minecraft server better and an i7 simply because of sheer power. It does insanely huge amounts of floating point operations, and constantly runs simple algebraic math. I know it sounds stupid, but its because it has to calculate how fast a given entity is moving, exactly how far they fall, how much there armor is going to protect them from it, and how deep the water is to determine how much damage to determine. Plus, if you were on fire at the time that is just all the more it needs to process. For other games, the 8150 will be adequate considering how massive my GPUs are. I will also be Folding@home because..... I can. Haha
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

30-Sep-2012, 03:48 PM #12
Oh and I will be doing small-time distributed computing for people in my small town. For example, SolidWorks at my school doesnt run too well, but it will on mine. So students will build there projects and send them to me to process it then my computer sends it back to them where they can see how well it works, how efficient it is, and what they can change to make it better.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphics, gtx, minecraft, nvidia

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!