Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I need help hooking up an old TV to PS2

(!)

Member with 6,375 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Dec-2003, 08:46 PM #1
I need help hooking up an old TV to PS2
My old t.v. has a video in/audio in and is currently attached to cable t.v.through the cable plug ----Is there some kind of adapter to use since PS2 has 3 plugs that need to go into the t.v.?
I want to keep cable plugged in as well as have the PS2 running through the in/out plugs. If there is some kind of adapter at radio shack that I should get, OR if PS2 sells adapters themselves, please let me know which one.
THANKS
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

01-Dec-2003, 10:07 PM #2
Is the PS2 sonnected to the TV through the coaxial cables, or with all 3 of the plugs? The normal connection is with the 3 plugs right to the TV. Otherwise, I guess you could get a coaxial splitter, connect both the cable and PS2 to it, and then put the single side into the TV.
Member with 6,375 posts.

02-Dec-2003, 11:13 PM #3
ps2 will be connected to either the antenna or the
audio in/video/in slots. There is no slot for the yellow plug like on my new t.v., only 2 red/white.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

03-Dec-2003, 12:07 AM #4
There's this and this one.

The second one would be better, but I can't tell from the picture whether it uses coaxial (the kind of wire that your cable uses) or S-video (newer video, your old TV doesn't have it). I'm not sure if you can hook up your cable line into the first one, so that you could switch between cable and PS2 without unplugging anything....but if it doesn't, then you can just get a splitter, and hook the cable and one of the above products into it...I *think* that would work, but I really can't be sure....so I would ask someone at Radio Shack, they would probably know best.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,808 posts.

03-Dec-2003, 10:23 AM #5
There is an adaptor where you can change the 3 colors to coaxial and you can also add the cable or antenna cord into the adaptor so that way you don't need to keep changing the cords around. SONY has there own, plus there is other 3rd party adaptors around $9.99. I know Electronics Boutique (also named GameStop or Babbages) has them since I had to purchase one myself.

Word of warning: Your PS2 may not work properly. If the screen bounces then it means the TV is not fully compatible. It happened to me had to buy a new TV. I think it was the PS games that was bouncing, but the PS2 games was fine....
Senior Member with 2,106 posts.

Experience: Plumbs the Tubes
03-Dec-2003, 02:45 PM #6
Also if I remember correctly you don't always need all three of the plugs to play the game, but I'm not sure about that.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

03-Dec-2003, 03:47 PM #7
Yellow is video and the red and white is audio for left and right. You will definatley need the yellow one!

03-Dec-2003, 03:48 PM #8
Nevermind. I know hardly anything about home theater equipment. I guess it showed.

03-Dec-2003, 03:49 PM #9
I think it was the white one I was thinking about anyway.

03-Dec-2003, 03:55 PM #10
you were right, just wrong color
Deathdealer
Guest with n/a posts.

03-Dec-2003, 04:52 PM #11
plug video in white and sound in red (just one of them)
Member with 6,375 posts.

03-Dec-2003, 07:08 PM #12
so the yellow just hangs there and it will still work?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

03-Dec-2003, 10:01 PM #13
Well....it might work...you can fiddle around with it, and mess around with different colored plugs in different ports....nothing will really break, it will just show up all fuzzy on the screen if it's wrong.

Optimally, you want all 3 connected, to get the best picture and audio quality, but some TV's have the ability to switch one of the audio ports (red and white) for a video (yellow). So just plug them in and see what happens.

04-Dec-2003, 01:23 AM #14
hotskates, deathdealer is incorrect.

Yellow is the video (picture) and needs to go to the Video In connection. Now the Audio - I find that the most sound is from the right side so you will need to use the red cable (but i just checked my TV and I believe the sound (mono at best) is the White cable. You might be able to connect it that way, but putting $10 for a converter would be a better option.
Member with 6,375 posts.

04-Dec-2003, 12:45 PM #15
Thanks everyone - I think I'll buy the converter that plugs right into the antenna. That would probably work best!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!