Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do i find out my warcraft 3 cd key?

(!)

Member with 136 posts.

27-Dec-2003, 01:31 AM #1
How do i find out my warcraft 3 cd key?
i have warcraft 3 installed with frozen throne. i need to reinstall it to apply that new patch but i can't find my stupid frozen throne cd key. is there anyway to find it out? it won't be in the registry because i reinstalled windows after i installed it. ( i have 2 partitions and one partition holds all games). is there a cd key checker or changer program?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Dec-2003, 02:29 AM #2
Your CD-key is heavily encrypted inside one of the mpq files....I think it's the main one, war3.mpq.....but it could be a different one. Anyway, I saw a program a while ago that found it for you, you ahd to run the game, then attempt to connect to Bnet, since that's the only time the CD-key was used, and then run the program....I have no idea if it worked or not, or if it was just a scam to get CD-keys, and I also have no idea where I found it...I think I searched Google for a while, and it came up eventually.
Senior Member with 557 posts.

27-Dec-2003, 03:10 AM #3
have a look inside registry (run regedit) inside, htk local machine & current user, go 2 software, blizzard entertainment, warcraft 3 and look@ all the folders and strings. Im not sure if this will work or not as im not on my own comp which has wc3
Member with 136 posts.

27-Dec-2003, 04:20 AM #4
like i said before, it wont' be in registry because i reinstalled windows AFTER i installed war3 on a seperate partition
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

27-Dec-2003, 09:33 AM #5
Even if you did have it installed, the cd-key is not in the registry anyway.

OK, the program is called 'CD-key Grabber'. I'm not going to find a link to it, due to potential legality issues on this forum, but I'm sure you can find where to get it. What you have to do is try to log on to Battle.Net, then run the program, because the only itme the cd-key is used is when you're logging on to Bnet. That should work, if not, I guess you're kinda screwed...you could probably send the CD back to Blizzard and ask for a new cd-key, it would probably be like $10 or so...
Member with 242 posts.

27-Dec-2003, 03:36 PM #6
First of all, why do you need to reinstall WC3 for the patch?

Like McTimson said, there is a program called CD-Key Grabber that will do the trick. Just do a Google search for it. I don't think it is illegal....there is no reason for it to be.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

27-Dec-2003, 04:50 PM #7
Since there's no information in the registry for WarCraft 3, when you try and run the patch, it doesn't know where the files are to patch. There has to be an 'InstallPath' key in the registry for the patch to run correctly, but since he reinstalled Windows, there is none.

Yea, it's probably not illegal, but....it's kinda borderline, it's best not to link to it.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,592 posts.

29-Dec-2003, 02:10 AM #8
I'd think the best thing to be would go to the war craft tech support site and ask, why take a chance on getting TSG in trouble...CD keys are a touchy subject at best... Rhett
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!