Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Common Sims 2 Problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,330 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Nov-2004, 09:45 AM #16
It's probably not the video card, as I have the same one. instead it may be a memory problem or a lack of hard drive space. How much memory (RAM) do you have?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: i know a little bit
07-Nov-2004, 03:43 AM #17
i finished installing the sims 2, the icon appeared on the desktop, i re-started the computer and double-clicked the icon on the desktop, nothing happend,i tried multiple times to open it
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Nov-2004, 05:01 AM #18
Q. With certain fences, rooves and pieces of furniture (such as bookcases), strange triangular lines seem to stretch from them. This is particularly annoying with rooves, as it means that huge spikes stretch through the sky. Below is a screenshot of the problem with fences. The lines stretch across the ground from each section of fencing, and appear to disappear and reappear when zooming in and out.

Also, another (smaller) niggle is that when something is censored, instead of appearing to be pixellated, a large block of one colour blocks the view.

It would be great if someone could help me - it's quite an annoying problem. I have downloaded the latest DirectX software and driver for my nVidia GeForce4 graphics card, but the problems are still there.
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2004, 10:05 AM #19
Hi all. I will respond to your questions ASAP, unless someone else knows the answer. I have church (about an hour) so check back for your answers within an hour or so.
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2004, 11:59 AM #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by notquiteblon
i finished installing the sims 2, the icon appeared on the desktop, i re-started the computer and double-clicked the icon on the desktop, nothing happend,i tried multiple times to open it
Now when you say nothing, you mean nothing at all? Do you see The Sims 2 Splash Screen at all? Try this:
1) Right Click on The Sims 2 Icon on the Desktop
2) In the target line, go all the way to the end. After the " put in a space and then type "-w" WITHOUT the quotes. From there, put in another space and type "-nosound" WITHOUT the quotes.
3) Try to run the game again.

If it still fails to run, post back.
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2004, 12:00 PM #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbenjy
Q. With certain fences, rooves and pieces of furniture (such as bookcases), strange triangular lines seem to stretch from them. This is particularly annoying with rooves, as it means that huge spikes stretch through the sky. Below is a screenshot of the problem with fences. The lines stretch across the ground from each section of fencing, and appear to disappear and reappear when zooming in and out.

Also, another (smaller) niggle is that when something is censored, instead of appearing to be pixellated, a large block of one colour blocks the view.

It would be great if someone could help me - it's quite an annoying problem. I have downloaded the latest DirectX software and driver for my nVidia GeForce4 graphics card, but the problems are still there.
You definately have a video problem. Unless it is just memory. How much memory do you currently have? I don't want to make you do this, but, try uninstalling the video card. Then, reinstall the LATESTS drivers. Ensure you have the original driver disc in case something goes wrong. Also, create a restore point before you do anything. Post back if you have anymore problems.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

07-Nov-2004, 06:22 PM #22
Unhappy Help! Medic!
Help plz!

Q. After I made some modifications with 2 houses, on the neighborhood the 2 houses have abnormalities such as, the walls of the houses are not being viewed.

Q. While loading or entering a lot, isn't it that on the middle part of the screen there should be a picture of the family? The families that I made had none, and on the original provided neighborhood families has.

Q. While inside the lot, it seems that there are no portraits of the family members at the left side of the screen. All the other families that I made had the same results. But when I tried on the original neighborhood families, the family members have portraits.

Q. And every time I save a lot, it takes more than 3 minutes to save. And one time while saving, the program crashed and an error message appeared saying that the program had crashed.

Could anyone help? PLZ?

Experience: Beginner
08-Nov-2004, 07:58 AM #23
Unhappy When I run The Sims 2, I am unable to use the build tools or save my game
When I run The Sims 2, I am unable to use the build tools or save my game HOW to FIX ?????
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2004, 11:15 AM #24
Jazzdagr8 I will come back to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
When I run The Sims 2, I am unable to use the build tools or save my game HOW to FIX ?????
You are using an illegal copy of the game, notice this post I made:
Q. When I run The Sims 2, I am unable to use the build tools or save my game.
A. This happens when cracked/downloaded versions of the game are used. Such things include No-CD Cracks. Buy the game and use the CD or DVD you bought to run the game.

You are using an illegal/downloaded copy of the game OR you are using a no-cd crack for a game that you legally bought. Remove the no-cd crack and attempt to build and save.
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2004, 11:20 AM #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzdagr8
Help plz!

Q. After I made some modifications with 2 houses, on the neighborhood the 2 houses have abnormalities such as, the walls of the houses are not being viewed.

Q. While loading or entering a lot, isn't it that on the middle part of the screen there should be a picture of the family? The families that I made had none, and on the original provided neighborhood families has.

Q. While inside the lot, it seems that there are no portraits of the family members at the left side of the screen. All the other families that I made had the same results. But when I tried on the original neighborhood families, the family members have portraits.

Q. And every time I save a lot, it takes more than 3 minutes to save. And one time while saving, the program crashed and an error message appeared saying that the program had crashed.

Could anyone help? PLZ?
A. This can happen if your video card does not meet the requirements or if you used a cheat such as "move_objects on" and built outside of the given area. What video card you have and how much memory and hard drive space do you have?

A. **Contact Maxis Techinical Support via www.thesims2.com

A. **Contact Maxis Techinical Support via www.thesims2.com

A. The Sims 2 can take even longer than that to save a lot. It takes me just about 3 minutes to load a lot. This is quite normal. As for the crashing part, you need to free up some of your free resources so that the game can have full advantage over your PC.

**Answers marked with this, this is probably a problem with your game conflicting with either your operating system, hardware, etc. I cannot solve this problem, Maxis would be the best way to go. Sorry.

08-Nov-2004, 08:06 PM #26
Exclamation CD Drive Problem
Hey, I have a weird CD-ROM related Sims problem...

I installed the Sims a week ago but since I did not have the right video card I had to uninstall and return the game. Since then, my CD Drive won't recognize when I put a blank disk into the drive, saying that the drive is empty. Also, when I go to My Computer and look at the name of the CD Drive, it says that it's called THESIMS_EP_2... but the CD isn't in there. Can I solve this?
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2004, 10:36 PM #27
Yes, this is common. For some reason The Sims 2 removes the autoplay feature. Unfortunately, I am unable to use my desktop computer, which contains the autoplay file. When I have access to my desktop, I will be more than happen to e-mail it to you. You could contact Microsoft via there website and ask them for the "Autoplay Registry Fix"

09-Nov-2004, 06:05 AM #28
1. I have the Inno3d GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X.
2. Total Physical memory of 512MB but 265.43MB Ram left.
3. I have two harddrives, my main harddrive has no prob, my
other harddrive, where I usually install my games has no
prob as well.
Note: I am using an illegal copy, the one with the Alcohol 120% thingy! And thanks for the help.

Last edited by Jazzdagr8; 09-Nov-2004 at 06:17 AM..

09-Nov-2004, 07:30 PM #29
I have attempted to install The Sims 2, but at about 35% the computer reboots.

I have attempted to reinstall it a number of times with the same result.

Please help.

~Ratmasterr

--------------------------------
MY PROFILE:
--------------------------------

(1) Operating System -
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)
(2) Processor -
1.73 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
(3) Memory -
256 Megabytes Installed Memory
(4) CD-Rom -
Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ [CD-ROM drive]
(5) Harddrive -
61.48 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
51.09 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
(6) Video Card -
NVIDIA GeForce3 [Display adapter]
(7) Sound Card -
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port
Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)
(8) DirectX -
DirectX 9.0 (c) is installed.

Last edited by ratmasterr; 09-Nov-2004 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: More information
Computer Specs

09-Nov-2004, 09:30 PM #30
NOTE: I will get to all these help requests ASAP. Finishing up a report lol
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
expansion, sims

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!