Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Common Sims 2 Problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,330 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Nov-2004, 02:13 PM #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatusfoetus
Hey guys n gals,

I bought Sims 2 a while ago and it all installed ok and to be honest I've been having lots of fun playing it.

However... When a Sim is on the toilet or in the shower.. You know how that kinda little fizzy/frizzy/greying sensor funny stuff comes up? as to hide there genitals etc...

Well mine dosent do that it just has a black square over where the frizzy/fizzy bit would normally be. And when this black box appears the games slows down like 80%! But I'f I like change the angle/look away from where the Sim is getting naked/black square appears, and i look away so i cant see it onscreen the game resumes to normal speed!

Any ideas/suggestions please?

Thank you!

EF.
You're experiencing a video card problem. What video card do you have?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Nov-2004, 12:54 AM #47
3rd try in getting Sims 2 to work
on October 21st I was given Sims 2 as a gift. I loaded it and when I ran the game the Tutorial wouldn't work and the pre-loaded neighborhoods didn't show up. I uninstalled it and re-installed, still didn't work. Returned the CD version for a new one....same problem. Contacted EA Games....they were rather unhelpful and could only suggest trying the DVD version, traded in the CD version for the "Special DVD Edition" (and bought a DVD player for my computer) and....at first run after loading the game it worked, the neighborhoods were there, the tutorial was working, I was going through it building a house and when I went to put siding on my house the game crashed....I shut down my computer since it was very late anyway and went to bed. The next day....Back to the same original problem, when I run the game, the pre-loaded neighborhoods aren't there (only the "build new neighborhood" is an option no other buttons show up) and when I click on stuff to run the tutorial, it just goes back to that menu and it doesn't run at all. WHAT is going on? Is ANYONE ELSE having this problem?
Junior Member with 3 posts.

22-Nov-2004, 07:25 AM #48
Thumbs up RE: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 for sims 2?
ThugedOut,
thanks for the help, I'll hopefully be getting my laptop this week so I'll let you know how I get on.
Senior Member with 105 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Nov-2004, 06:51 PM #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatusfoetus
Hey guys n gals,

I bought Sims 2 a while ago and it all installed ok and to be honest I've been having lots of fun playing it.

However... When a Sim is on the toilet or in the shower.. You know how that kinda little fizzy/frizzy/greying sensor funny stuff comes up? as to hide there genitals etc...

Well mine dosent do that it just has a black square over where the frizzy/fizzy bit would normally be. And when this black box appears the games slows down like 80%! But I'f I like change the angle/look away from where the Sim is getting naked/black square appears, and i look away so i cant see it onscreen the game resumes to normal speed!

Any ideas/suggestions please?

Thank you!

EF.
Hi I'm not sure what graphics card I have running on my pc, it was the one the machine came with so I'm guessing its low spec. But if the graphics card was too crappy wouldnt it just not allow me to play the game?
Computer Specs

22-Nov-2004, 06:59 PM #50
Depends on how crappy it is..lol I would upgrade to a better video card anyway, they give you a better playing experience.
Computer Specs

22-Nov-2004, 07:02 PM #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratealice
on October 21st I was given Sims 2 as a gift. I loaded it and when I ran the game the Tutorial wouldn't work and the pre-loaded neighborhoods didn't show up. I uninstalled it and re-installed, still didn't work. Returned the CD version for a new one....same problem. Contacted EA Games....they were rather unhelpful and could only suggest trying the DVD version, traded in the CD version for the "Special DVD Edition" (and bought a DVD player for my computer) and....at first run after loading the game it worked, the neighborhoods were there, the tutorial was working, I was going through it building a house and when I went to put siding on my house the game crashed....I shut down my computer since it was very late anyway and went to bed. The next day....Back to the same original problem, when I run the game, the pre-loaded neighborhoods aren't there (only the "build new neighborhood" is an option no other buttons show up) and when I click on stuff to run the tutorial, it just goes back to that menu and it doesn't run at all. WHAT is going on? Is ANYONE ELSE having this problem?
WOW....this is a first. The only other thing I can think of is something inside your computer does not agree with the game. Now see, at this time I would tell you to contact Maxis via www.thesims2.com, but you've already done that...soooo....can you try running it on a different computer? Give me the following information, I'll try and fix it:
1) PC Make/Model
2)Video Card Make/Model
3) Amt. of RAM (Memory)
4) Amt. of HD Space
5) Processor Speed
Thanx, I'll try to help you.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

23-Nov-2004, 02:03 AM #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugedout
Well first of all, copied disc are illegal, unless it was YOUR OWN COPY to BEGIN WITH. But, what's done is done. When you uninstall any sims game, you can't just reinstall it. Sims games leave behind files in case you want to save them, so you have to go in manually to do this.
Nevermind, I got the reinstallation to work! Turns out that something just went off with the copied disc, so I just copied another one. Thanks for the help anyway.
Senior Member with 105 posts.

23-Nov-2004, 06:53 AM #53
Hey Thugedout, thanks for the info. You've convinced me to upgrade to a decent video card. Only problem being I'll have to ebay the Sims2 to part fund it! hehe. Any suggestions on a good video card at a good price?

Thanks again.

EF.
Computer Specs

23-Nov-2004, 06:58 PM #54
I have a GeForce FX 5200 which is really decent. I got it for $79.99 You could go with an ATI Radeon, which is what I would go with, only because my laptop has an ATI Radeon and it runs better on my laptop than on my desktop. But if you want to go cheaper with good performace, get the FX 5200, 128MB.
Member with 190 posts.

Experience: Even if I don't know I know how to find out
23-Nov-2004, 07:36 PM #55
Various members of my family have started to exhibit strange behavior. They will mess up a word in a sentence and instead of going back and fixing it they start speaking in gibberish to which the other will respond!!! They will for no apparent reason throw up their hand shake their heads and walk off in the middle of whatever they where doing. They spend countless hours in front of their computers watching load screens with bad music.

My questions
1: Should I be worried about them?
2: Is this contagious?
3: Is there a way to get better music?
4: What is a Bellagoth or should I ask?
5: If you are the resident Maxis expert what are you doing here instead of playing the Sims 2?

If you find this post to be out of place I can shorten it to question 3 only.
Computer Specs

23-Nov-2004, 09:00 PM #56
If there was an award for the most random thing said in the world, I think you may have just won it...lmfao

25-Nov-2004, 12:13 AM #57
Hi and thanks very much for this thread...

My question concerns the graphics card in my daughter's pc, on which Sims2 is loaded.
Here are the pc specs:

PC Make/Model- Emachines EMA T1742 (I believe)

Video Card- ATI All-in-Wonder 128 PCI

RAM- 384mb

HD Space- One 40gb WD drive(15gb Free space), and one 20gb WD drive (16gb Free space)

Processor speed- Celeron 1.70ghz CPU

______

Although Sims2 seems to work OK, the graphics aren't near what they should be (according to my daughter). In my limited knowledge of graphics cards for gameware, I had installed the above ATI 128 from an older pc hoping it would help the graphics, but it didn't. The main problem is this pc came with no AGP slot...all it has are 3 PCI slots. So, are there any PCI graphics cards that will work well with Sims2?

thank you so much for any advice...
-Goodsong
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2004, 01:37 AM #58
I am a little concerned about the video card, but I'm not sure. But seeing, it's from an older PC, here's a link to a decent PCI video card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8661&CatId=696

25-Nov-2004, 03:38 AM #59
Thank you so much.....one reason I've been a little confused, is that 'someone' (another Sims user in a chat room, I think) advised my daughter that the graphics card has to be 'T&L compatible', and that the card had to be an AGP card. So I'm very relieved that it will work well with a PCI card.

I truly appreciate your help.

-Goodsong
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2004, 12:58 PM #60
Nah, AGP doesn't matter, just as long as it is T&L Capable and follows the guidelines of Sims 2 requirements.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
expansion, sims

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!