Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Please help me make WoW run better

(!)

Junior Member with 20 posts.

02-Jan-2005, 11:50 AM #1
Please help me make WoW run better
Good day to you,
I have two computers running World of warcraft.

Computer 1:
256 Mb Ram
128 Mb Hercules 9000 Ati radeon 3D graphics card
P4 2.4 GHz
40 Gb Hdd

The game runs like an absolute dog - freezes up in towns or when there are any buildings at all, Shudders and judders most of the rest of the time even with all the graphics and sound effects turned off or down.
Forget moving at all if there are horde around - I become an early warning for my husband on the other computer - "look out honey, my screen is frozen - there is horde arund here somewhere!"
But the trailers and opening movies run beautifully!

Computer 2:
512 Mb Ram
64 Mb Nvidia GeForce whatever HP stuck in it Video card
P4 2.6 GHz
60 Gb Hdd

Game ran like an absolute treat for the first month and now it is getting almost as bad as the other one - spends so much time driving it sounds like an old printer and it is starting to freeze up alot when there is alot on the screen... like a farmhouse, a couple of cows and a road.
The movies run badly - but that's the video card I guess - not that it matters.

My question is - will more Ram fix my problem as my I.T. friend suggests, or is it more than that?
Do I need new cards too?
Why does performance degrade over time even if I regularly Defragment and clean out cookies and things?
His other suggestion is to get new computers!!!

There are no other games on the bad computer - which I bought to play games, so it's not a space issue.

Please help!!
Thanks
Member with 243 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2005, 02:38 PM #2
More ram would help but a graphics card would be a better choice. It skipps for alot of people. Alot of it's lag, especially in places like ironforge where there'll be 1000 people just milling around for no apparant reason.
Senior Member with 2,563 posts.

Experience: I find computers attractive.
02-Jan-2005, 04:14 PM #3
New video card will DEFINENTLY help on both of them there. Id say minimum FX5200 (friend says it runs fine).

Another 256mb stick minimum on comp 1 will also give it better performance.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jan-2005, 01:03 AM #4
What server do u guys play in? And yes i have FX 5200 and it works fine but recently it freezes .. and I RESTArt and it freezes again.
SO yeah graphics card.
retro_boy retro_boy is offline retro_boy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 48 posts.

Experience: Advanced, A+ Cert, ***. Degree - Computers
03-Jan-2005, 05:53 AM #5
I know how you feel man, I play it on the Dell that's listed in my signature... Good 'ol .2fps in town...

But basically go into Video Options, and read the descriptions, if it says "Disable to improve performance" then disable it, if it says "Enable to improve performance" then enable it, and then turn down details, drawing distance and so on.

Make sure you have all the latest drivers for your video card, and with blizzard games, they rely a lot on the mpq's on the HDD, and they get fragmented very easily, so defragment often!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!