Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Age of Empires II The Age of Kings: Population Limit

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jan-2005, 08:52 PM #1
Angry Age of Empires II The Age of Kings: Population Limit
How do you change the population limit in a custom scenario. I played the level I created and the population maxed at 75, is there anyway to change it to 200? I ask this because I have looked in all the menus available in the screen and haven't been able to find it. Also, can you set spearmen,etc. to attack anyone that gets near it. Normally, they just sit there until someone claims them for their own. Then they get to use them, instead of, as wished, kill them.
Senior Member with 506 posts.

Experience: not completely clueless!
04-Jan-2005, 09:02 PM #2
it sound like youre using gaia units ... are they grey until someone gets near them and then they become their own?
if so, you need to change the player for which youre placing the unit. you can change the number of players in the same when you change the pop limit. off the top of my head, im not exactly sure what menu you go under, but its definately there.

04-Jan-2005, 09:05 PM #3
ok found it

its under the Players menu:

you can set Number Of Players:

and theres Pop Limit, defaulted at 75. just enter any number between 75 and 200.

04-Jan-2005, 09:10 PM #4
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

04-Jan-2005, 09:44 PM #5
Angry In regards to your previous message
What I meant with someone attacking everyone is that there are 8 players in my scenario. I would like another person (almost essentially a 9th) that would attack the other 8, no matter what. That means I don't want to only have 7 playable people and have the 8th just have towers attacking everyone. I also just went into the game and I couldn't find that menu. I have the Gold Edition of AOE2, so that may have something to do with my inability to find the population limit box (maybe it wasn't programmed in?). So, if you could almost "draw" a picture for me that would help me find the population box. This is what my 'players' menu looks like (except it is spread out over the entire bottom of the screen) :

Selected Player:Player1
Number of Players: 8
Starting Age: Dark Age
Wood/Food/Stone/Gold: 250 ea.
Color: Orange
String Name:
" " :
Type of Player: either
Civilization: Persians

Last edited by FFfanatic; 04-Jan-2005 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Adding some things
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,893 posts.

05-Jan-2005, 10:08 AM #6
The population box should be where when you select to play your map, then the options come up before you launch the game. That's where you select the limit. Also there are only 8 possible teams. You could just make a team with a ton of money with access to tons of gold and wood and food, which cannot be accessible to any other team and place a barracks / Archery etc somewhere on a map so it can produce units... Other than that I don't know what you can do
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

05-Jan-2005, 10:20 AM #7
Angry With regards to Tidus4Yuna
For the player, all I wanted was towers that would attack everything, no matter what side they were on. They would be there just to protect resources to make you lose a few guys trying to get them. I'm doing is a custom scenario, when I want to play it, I go to single player, click custom scenario, choose my map and difficulty level. Then you click 'ok' and it starts the game. It doesn't allow you to change any specifics (starting age, pop limit, civ, etc.), as opposed to what you can do in a map already programmed into the game(ones made by microsoft). There you are allowed to change the starting age, pop limit and civ. The other thing is that, when you play a multiplayer, it allows you to change whatever you want, but in single player, you can't. If you can answer that, thanks. Make a level yourself and try it, I doubt you will be able to change the things mentioned above. But if you do, tell me how you did it!!

Last edited by FFfanatic; 05-Jan-2005 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Adding
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,893 posts.

05-Jan-2005, 11:43 AM #8
For the population, check the manual on the CD. As for the towers, I will look into that. It might have to be a team again without any allies.

05-Jan-2005, 02:22 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus4Yuna
For the population, check the manual on the CD. As for the towers, I will look into that. It might have to be a team again without any allies.
you have to set the diplomacy. make every player the ENEMY to whatever player you want to have the towers.

for example, if player 8 is the one with the towers, make players 1-7 the enemy to 8. then the towers will fire at whatever walks by.
Senior Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jan-2005, 02:55 PM #10
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=318834

The next in the series will keep many busy.
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

05-Jan-2005, 03:13 PM #11
Unhappy Pop Limit!!!
I changed my map so there would be only 1 person that would attack everyone, so that is now fixed. About the pop limit. Try this, create a custom scenario, this can be done quickly by going to the map editor, clicking on the create scenario button, (when started) check the random map item and then click the generate map. Then exit and go to the single player option, choose the custom scenario option, it will then tell you to chose a map and difficulty level. It doesn't allow you to change things like civ, pop limit, etc., why? If someone can answer this, help!

05-Jan-2005, 08:36 PM #12
mine does...

you select your map by:
(in the Game Setup screen) where it says Game select Scenario...

find your map.

edit what you want. i can.
i dont know why it locks yours up.
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

05-Jan-2005, 08:55 PM #13
Concerning latest post
The AOE2 game I'm trying to make the scenario for is the Age of Kings one. I found out that in the Conquerors Expansion that you can change the population limit. You can't change it though in the Age of Kings (that is the problem I'm trying to solve). But it still doesn't allow for a pregame menu where you can change anything you want. That all has to be done in the menu only available when creating a map. Also, is that for a custom scenario? Do you own the Gold Edition, because if you don't, then maybe they forgot to program that part into the game. Or do you have to check a box or do something else when creating the map to bring up the menu that allows you to change whatever you want? If you can find it let me know.

Last edited by FFfanatic; 05-Jan-2005 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: change information

05-Jan-2005, 10:29 PM #14
yeah i got conquerors, not the gold edition... i got the game before that even came out.

so youre saying youre using age of kings, NOT the conqs expansion?
then that may have been added to conqs.
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

06-Jan-2005, 12:06 AM #15
try something
Just to check, put in your Age of Kings disc and try doing what I did, see if you can find a way to make the population over 75. Hopefully there is a way, if so, tell me so I can also do it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!