Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I clean out my computer so it runs new again?

(!)

Senior Member with 128 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jun-2005, 02:49 PM #1
Angry How do I clean out my computer so it runs new again?
Computer sooooo slow, always freezing, kicks me off websites, doesn't load half of the things I ask it to... Does someone have a solution before I get my sledge hammer and take care of the problem myself?
Account Disabled with 1,149 posts.

Experience: you would be surprised
01-Jun-2005, 02:54 PM #2
Welcome to TSG

Defrag your hard drive using the disk defragmenter (start/program/acessories/system tools)

ir you can download a 30 day free trial of system mechanic 5, this program will also defragment your drive but do lots of other stuff eg get rid of invalid registory items, it also cam optimize your internet speed

link:http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/download.cfm

just click download
Senior Member with 167 posts.

Experience: gaining some everyday.
01-Jun-2005, 03:19 PM #3
Hello and welcome to TSG forums
Use the links below to dl, install and then update these programs. Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and MS Antispy.
Go here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...howtutorial=48 to see a tutorial on how to use Adaware.
Go here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...howtutorial=43 to see a tutorial on how to use Spybot.
Here is a link to much good information http://www.spywareinfo.com/links.php...icles#articles

I hope this helps.

01-Jun-2005, 03:20 PM #4
Thank you! For any one reading this ..... I strongly recommend this download. It's free and fast. I clicked on remove junk files and it has counted almost 3000 and still going! ( omg how embarrasing! ) I can't wait to see my performance when it's through!
Senior Member with 167 posts.

Experience: gaining some everyday.
01-Jun-2005, 04:18 PM #5
After those programs run (you should delete everything they find) use Trend Micro's free on-line scan. Be sure to select "clean files" before you start the scan. And for an extra through AV scan use Kaspersky's. Youll have to give them a name and such as its still a beta, but its ok to use "temporary" info

01-Jun-2005, 04:21 PM #6
Thanks David and Will, you've been very helpful, I'll put the sledge hammer back in the garage!
Member with 3,420 posts.

Experience: Format C:? Okay...
06-Jun-2005, 01:31 PM #7
If you think there is still stuff there, I would suggest a post in the security forum. They will walk you through a couple steps that will have your PC running clean and teach you how to keep it clean.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,869 posts.

06-Jun-2005, 01:40 PM #8
One form of junk is spyware, and one of the best programs I have used is SpywareBlaster. This program will prevent any known spyware from even installing. Once you have installed it and ran the software, update it so you have the latest definitions.

Note that it won't stop any worms or trojans, that's the job of a firewall, which I didn't put up when I was dialing into the internet... and got one major headache but that's another story.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!