Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to find cd key registered in your steam

(!)

Member with 65 posts.

19-Jun-2005, 07:32 PM #1
How to find cd key registered in your steam
Hi guys. Recently I bought a half life 2 cd which according to him had unregistered cd key. The guy asked my steam ID and password, so he could register for me and make sure the cd key worked. But after I got green light that he registered the cd key, I got a mail from steam saying a cd key (cd key mentioned and different from cd key he sent to me) is already registered. I tried logging in my steam account, changed my password and successfully logged and played the cs source. Is there anyway I could check which cd key is registered to my steam? Cos I think he treid registering a cd key which is already in use and then when he tried to play online got an error and registered an unused cd key. Any advice would be welcomed.
Senior Member with 143 posts.

Experience: This does not compute
19-Jun-2005, 08:46 PM #2
Who's "him"? If you bought a game then you should be the one doing the installing and registering... Why would you let some unnamed person know your CD key? It's the equivalent of your SIN number in HL world... (well not really, but you paid for it and you should be the one to keep it)
Computer Specs
Member with 3,785 posts.

19-Jun-2005, 08:55 PM #3
Uh.. Can you play HL2 without the key?...
I don't understand really.. If CS works, what does it matter.. Do you play CS or are you just after HL2?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,785 posts.

19-Jun-2005, 09:06 PM #4
Found this.. you could try it I guess...
"It is in your registry. go to start>run and enter regedit and then hit ctrl + f and then enter your cd-key...this may or may not work.."

19-Jun-2005, 09:07 PM #5
CS source is free if you own Half Life 2. Whenever you play either HL2 or CS, the program connects to the internet and verifies your CD key. If someone else has your account name and password (say, the guy who registered for you) then they can log in and render you unable to connect to the server.

HL2 can still be played offline, however CS and Team Fortress (HL2 multiplayer) requires you logging in every time.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,785 posts.

19-Jun-2005, 09:17 PM #6
So, all he needs to do is find this "some guy", and see what he used to register..
Maybe the key is good, but the "guy" spelled your name wrong, or used some other name/password.

Edit: Oh and if it all works CS and you can play HL2.. then what's the diff?
Well I guess I didn't do it that way.. I just played HL2... Off line only, so the key really didn't matter to me..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,111 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jun-2005, 10:40 PM #7
So if i am to understand correctly you gave someone your cd key? not a good idea bro. You may be buying another copy soon.

19-Jun-2005, 11:23 PM #8
Well as long as you've got the Steam login name and password and no one else then you're fine.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,871 posts.

20-Jun-2005, 09:35 AM #9
I think the confusion here is the CD. You said you purchase a Half Life 2 CD and then you said according to him. Now is this CD the original CD and did you purchase the CD from the guy you mentioned?
Member with 65 posts.

20-Jun-2005, 06:03 PM #10
Actually I bought the cd and unregistered cd-key from the guy. I gave him my steam account and cd key so that he could register and ensure that he doesn't get false complaints (as he had previously received) that the cd-key didnt register. Now after he was done he did send me the cd key. After that I changed my steam password. Then I got a mail from steam (automatically generated) saying that a cd key (NOT the same as he provided me) is already registered and asked me to register a new unused cd key. So to check which cd key he registered in my steam I asked you guys a way. Yes, I can play online games but I thought steam takes sometime before they kick somebody for having used cd key.
Member with 35 posts.

20-Jun-2005, 06:13 PM #11
I am wondering the same thing, (but for slightly different reasons...)
Me and my friend traded computers for a week (long story lol) and anyway, he installed Half-Life1 (with HIS CD Key). I got my lovely computer back, and decided to uninstall Half-Life 1 and reinstall it with MY CD Key. But the problem is, I cant find it anywhere!
I installed Half-Life 1 with his cd key (as he doesnt play much) and I can play online with MY steam account, (as it has my cd key bound to it).

What I want to know is, is there a way to find the cd key that is bound to your steam account??? Would i have to contact Valve about this?

Help apreciated.

(sorry if this should have been in a new thread, but I thought it was kinda apropriate...)
Computer Specs
Member with 3,785 posts.

20-Jun-2005, 06:27 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-D-38
Found this.. you could try it I guess...
"It is in your registry. go to start>run and enter regedit and then hit ctrl + f and then enter your cd-key...this may or may not work.."
You can try this... maybe it's there.
Member with 65 posts.

20-Jun-2005, 06:30 PM #13
The description says we have to enter the cd key but I want to know which cd key it's registered in my steam!
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,871 posts.

20-Jun-2005, 09:31 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper
Actually I bought the cd and unregistered cd-key from the guy.
This still doesn't sound right... who is 'the guy'? A shop owner? A friend?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,785 posts.

21-Jun-2005, 12:27 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper420
The description says we have to enter the cd key but I want to know which cd key it's registered in my steam!

I've uninstalled so, I cant help look. but try looking here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
VALVE....

Have a look around and see if anything looks like a key..
If you don't change or delete anything then there is no harm in looking.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!