Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Comcast Slow internet at night for games

(!)

Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jul-2005, 02:03 AM #1
Comcast Slow internet at night for games
Hi I play lots of online games mainly playing on steam like cs:s. During the day i play just fine with my ping low and everything. Although at night around 9:15 or later my ping will all of a sudden go up and every thing. It does this every night. Ive tried calling comcast and all they say is your problem can be fixed by resetting the modem and that doesn't work. Anyone know why this happpens at night. PLZ HELP
Senior Member with 1,023 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jul-2005, 08:12 AM #2
It's probably where you live...lots of people in your area using the same branch of the cable, before it gets to a node.

Imagine a tree branch...you are at the end of one of the little twigs, which leads into another twig, which goes into a small branch, which goes into another, which eventually goes into the main branch, which then goes into the trunk......and every twig is using bandwidth, and unfortunately, cable companies oversell 'branches', and will not do anything untill 60% of people on that branch complain. Then they will upgrade their equipment.

Check it out. Ask them directly how many people are on your line....you might be surprised with the answer. Get them to do a line test, and you might want to d/l a line speed tester, THIS one, about halfway down, is quite good, and logs your results online for you (free).

Thats' the beauty of DSL, which I have.....it goes almost directly to the first main node, with only a couple of ppl on the same line. And being digital, those lines can easily carry waaaayyyyyy more than a few ppl need.

Scorp.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,855 posts.

20-Jul-2005, 08:04 PM #3
Key issue: 9:15PM

More than likely that most people in 'your neighbourhood' is going online at the same time as you, probably downloading movies, songs and even playing online games themselves. That's why you get the spike if you are playing it before say 7PM.

As for 'your neighbourhood', I mean that your internet is *shared* by everyone in your area, as in say 100 computers on one line. In fact you may be able to see some in My Network Places!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,106 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jul-2005, 10:41 PM #4
Just for your knowledge(and i agree with the above as the cause) Comcast will be upgrading from 4Mb/s to 6Mb/s. Hopefully when that happens your ping will be low again.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,855 posts.

20-Jul-2005, 11:40 PM #5
yeah... if their servers can hold up for a day at least they have been on and off here due to storms
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!