Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Diablo II problems

(!)

Member with 66 posts.

Experience: Internet Tech Support
10-Aug-2005, 08:42 AM #1
Diablo II problems
Hey

I installed my copy of Diablo II last night, and did the full install, so I wouldent have to do any disk swapping. I put in the play disk, and a box poped up that said play diablo II. I clicked it, and the screen when black for like 5 seconds, as if it was going to play, but then it never opened. I'm not at my computer, so I can't run DX Diag right now, but here are my basic specs (definatly able to run the game)

AMD Athlon 64 3400
512mb of ram
Radeon 9600
Member with 72 posts.

Experience: Advanced excluding Networking
10-Aug-2005, 08:51 AM #2
uninstall it and reinstall the game, if it doesn't work, try getting the newest catalyst drivers for your ati card, if you already have them, use the catalyst uninstaller then reinstall the catalyst drivers, also I'm not sure, but is Diablo 2 XP compatiable? or do you have to run it in a compatiablity mode?
Member with 255 posts.

Experience: bsc comp science
10-Aug-2005, 09:08 AM #3
Its compatible with 2k so I assume it's fine with xp
Member with 72 posts.

Experience: Advanced excluding Networking
10-Aug-2005, 09:14 AM #4
correct, just try the stuff mentioned above, also go to your task manager (ctrl+alt+del) then when task manage pops up, go to processes, close everything being run under your username except for explorer.exe and taskmanager.exe and see if that helps
techkid   (David) techkid is offline techkid has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Aug-2005, 08:00 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmusic
Its compatible with 2k so I assume it's fine with xp
It does. I'm running it at home on my laptop. It even survived a Service Pack 2 upgrade.

Does it beep at you, like when a program experiences an error? Because some computers (mine included) may have issues with Direct3D on Diablo II.

Try running the program again. If it doesn't respond within half a minute, press Alt+Tab, and see if an error message is behind the blank screen.
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Mar-2008, 01:20 AM #6
Question Black screen error
Quote:
Originally Posted by techkid View Post
It does. I'm running it at home on my laptop. It even survived a Service Pack 2 upgrade.

Does it beep at you, like when a program experiences an error? Because some computers (mine included) may have issues with Direct3D on Diablo II.

Try running the program again. If it doesn't respond within half a minute, press Alt+Tab, and see if an error message is behind the blank screen.

I get a black screen with a white block in the upper left of the screen (running XP). When I do an Alt-Tab, the error message says " unhandled exception: access_violation (c0000005). Any ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

09-Mar-2008, 04:15 AM #7
Wow. It's been simply ages since I saw this thread...

Re-run the Video Test (it should be in the Diablo II folder of the Start Menu), let it run, then when it is complete, select DirectDraw (2D) from the two options there.

Let us know how it goes.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

09-Mar-2008, 04:41 AM #8
I have a Radeon 9600, sometimes i have issues with games, i think i might get a new one... 9600 IS old remember that.
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

09-Mar-2008, 05:01 AM #9
Black screen error in Diablo II
Quote:
Wow. It's been simply ages since I saw this thread...

Re-run the Video Test (it should be in the Diablo II folder of the Start Menu), let it run, then when it is complete, select DirectDraw (2D) from the two options there.

Let us know how it goes.
With an Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 @ 128MB running 4X AGP, I shouldn't have to run 2D. The actual repair for this was to run the 1.05b patch. Behind the black screen was a Windows error message. Running the patch fixed all. Believe it or not we have had the game for many years and couldn't get it to run. All the time it was a black screen. Until I read this thread I "never" thought to do an Alt-Tab to see if there was an error behind it. Thanks guys!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

09-Mar-2008, 05:24 AM #10
I wish it was as simple for me back then (I had a pretty lame system back in the day).

It's strange that, given that the game is now at version 1.11b, that you should have to download the 1.05b patch to get the game to work with Direct3D.

Oh well, anyway, it's good to know that you got it to work for you.
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

09-Mar-2008, 01:12 PM #11
Black screen error in Diablo II
Quote:
I wish it was as simple for me back then (I had a pretty lame system back in the day).

It's strange that, given that the game is now at version 1.11b, that you should have to download the 1.05b patch to get the game to work with Direct3D.

Oh well, anyway, it's good to know that you got it to work for you.
Yeah but our discs are version 1. That's why the need for 1.05b. And you can't get the 1.11 patch anywhere but Battle.net. So if it can't run...no 1.11 patch

You wanna talk lame? Until 6 months ago I was running a 850Mhz PIII with 364MB of main memory and a 1X AGP 64MB ATI video card. No SATA drives or 3GB memory or a duo core. But at least now I'm running a P4 with 512 and a 128MB 4X AGP Nvidia (GeForce FX 5500). Still lame but it's all the budget could stand. But again thanks for the help you guys.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

10-Mar-2008, 03:38 AM #12
They're still selling older releases? When I bought mine, it was version 1.03, and that was about 2-3 years ago now.

My older system was about the same specs as that at the time my first post in this thread (2005): P3 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB drive (or thereabouts), video card unknown, but definitely onboard, XP Pro.

Oh yeah, you can download the latest patches direct from Blizzard themselves:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=20758

Last edited by techkid; 10-Mar-2008 at 03:43 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!