Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

my computer crashes when i play games

(!)

Member with 94 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Dec-2005, 03:26 AM #1
it just goes black or just freezes, dont know why
i look on internet and its all blah blah registry errors fix them now, so i go and i get a free scan, find loads of errors, but wait! i cant fix them unless i pay to buy their product, im sure theres a way i can fix this without buying sum stupid thing. help?

comp specs im not sure bit 1.7giga hertz or watever, 37 gigs of space total, 512 megs ram i think

Last edited by Cheeseball81; 19-Dec-2005 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: language
Member with 445 posts.

20-Dec-2005, 01:28 AM #2
There's a few things you might want to look at.

1. First check to make sure your computer has the video and sound drivers updated. Those are about the two most important things to update.

2. Check you have the correct Direct X version loaded for your particular game that your playing.

3. Run a antivirus scan and a antispyware scan on your system to clean out any trojans and/or infected files.

4. Look at disabling some programs that might be running in the background. You can do this by: Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and select the program you want to stop from the list. Click the End Process button to stop the program. You'll want to stop any program that is running under your "profile" in the Process tab. "Local Service" , "Network Service" and "System" you'll want to leave alone..

5. Check with the games web sites for updates and patches...

Good Luck and hope this helps!
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Dec-2005, 12:36 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooooop
it just goes black or just freezes, dont know why
i look on internet and its all blah blah registry errors fix them now, so i go and i get a free scan, find loads of errors, but wait! i cant fix them unless i pay to buy their product, im sure theres a way i can fix this without buying sum stupid thing. help?

comp specs im not sure bit 1.7giga hertz or watever, 37 gigs of space total, 512 megs ram i think

Your post was edited for foul language. If you wish to remain a member here, I would suggest a review of our forum rules.
Member with 94 posts.

20-Dec-2005, 05:35 PM #4
where would i get those driver updates?
Member with 445 posts.

20-Dec-2005, 11:08 PM #5
Go into your Control Panel and then to the System and click on Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Now in the Display Adapter, it should tell you who the manufacture, make and model is. Same for the sound, its under Sound,Video and Game Controller heading. It's not any of the Legacy or Audio drivers, but should be a manufactures like Creative Lab or ESS Technology or Advance Logic '97 or something to that effect..Then go to google type in the name,make and or model and do a search for the manufactures web site.

Good Luck!
Member with 94 posts.

21-Dec-2005, 05:35 PM #6
ok ill have a looksies
Member with 94 posts.

21-Dec-2005, 05:35 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaCandy
Your post was edited for foul language. If you wish to remain a member here, I would suggest a review of our forum rules.
SORRY
Member with 94 posts.

08-Jan-2006, 04:15 PM #8
sorry for the late reply, ive been away, ok well ive updated the my video card, well i couldnt, it said it could not find any better suited to my hardware, and same with my audio one, :\ games still lock up and its becoming a real bother!
if anyone has any suggestions, please, fire away
Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jan-2006, 05:18 PM #9
What kind of video card does your computer have? How old (or how recent) are the drivers?
  • Click on Start
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Click on System
  • Click on the Hardware tab
  • Click on the + to expand Display Adapters
  • Double click on the first or only sub-entry
  • This is the name of your video card
  • Click on the drivers tab
  • Note what version of the drivers and what date they are from

Make sure you also end unnecessary background tasks (including antivirus software- temporarily) because they also have been known to crash games.

You mentioned about all these "registry errors, fix them all, blah blah blah". Was that a popup or something that your computer said? It wouldn't hurt to download Hijack This (do a Google search) and extract it to a PERMANENT folder (C:\Program Files\Hijack This). Do a system scan, post the log file here, but DON'T FIX ANYTHING YET!!!

You may have some malware or viruses that could be making things crash on you. Just a wild guess.

Also, make sure that your computer also meets all the minimum specs required to play these games. Hope this helps!
Member with 94 posts.

09-Jan-2006, 05:59 PM #10
ok my display driver is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, driver version 8.1.9.8 date is 10/12/2005
heres a hijack this report!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:58:47 a.m., on 10/01/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Ben\My Documents\Downloads\xfire\Xfire.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.nz/
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: IeCatch2 Class - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet Bar - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\fgiebar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - res://c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 2.0\aoltbhtml.dll/search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...r.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...r.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...t.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...n.cab31267.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

and yup i got the specs required to play my games! hope this report helps!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

09-Jan-2006, 06:04 PM #11
Hmm... your HJT log looks clean to me (are those FlashGet things intended downloads?)

And you already said that you're computer meets the specs and your video card drivers appear to be up to date, so I'm baffled right now...

Is this something new or have these games never worked on your computer, or did they just stop working?

It could be overheating, that's another possibility- if your computer is crashing during games. Have you made sure to check that the fan on the video card is spinning, that the case is clean and that there is plenty of ventilation?

What kind of power supply unit (PSU) do you have?

What games (names please) are you trying to play? Is it happening on all of them, a select few, or just one? I can look into the games and make sure that there are no conflicts with drivers or certain hardware components- I'm picking at straws right now. Don't know what else to say that will help.

Try those above suggestions, and let me know that info and we'll go from there.
Member with 94 posts.

09-Jan-2006, 07:44 PM #12
hmm well i dont know what my power supply unit is, but i can say it hasnt frozen for about 48hours which is good, and i check the fan its all good, well maybe its fixed itself, but if it hasnt ill say and if anyone has ideas feel free to shoot, but thanks evry1 whos helped/tried!
Member with 94 posts.

10-Jan-2006, 06:14 PM #13
well yep, wudnt ya know, its started freezing again! woo...
the last 2 times its frozen, i heard a faint crackling noise, and on the most recent one, (playing warcraft 3 frozen throne) a whole bunch of the colours on some units blended together and made a big streak :S
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jan-2006, 09:05 PM #14
Could be that your video card is overheating?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

10-Jan-2006, 10:07 PM #15
That's what I thought when I read his last post, but earlier he mentioned that the fan on the video card IS spinning which was something I had him check out. But just because that particular fan is spinning still doesn't necessarily mean that overheating couldn't occur.

Make sure all your fans are working, that the case is clean, etc. You can even try keeping the side of the case opened and put a house fan nearby and see if that helps at all.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!