Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My Sims 2 Game Won't Install! Please help..

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Jan-2006, 09:26 PM #1
My Sims 2 Game Won't Install! Please help..
I've played sims before and I get soo addicted so it's really bothering me that my sims 2 game won't install. I just got a brand new computer for christmas so I don't think its that my computer is too old or anything and I have all the requirements. But anyways.. I put disc one in and it starts installing.. it only gets to 1% and then it stops and stays there for like 15 minutes, then a message pops up saying:
A problem occured when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sims3D\sims08.package' Do you want to retry to copy the file or cancel the installation?

I retried a couple of times but it did the same thing over and over so I finally gave up. I'm not very computer smart so I have no idea what to do.. could anyone help me please? and fast.. im dying to try this game out! thank you!!
o.0 o.0 is offline o.0 has a Profile Picture
Member with 711 posts.

Experience: That place between 'here' and 'there'
24-Jan-2006, 11:34 PM #2
Is your computer a dell?

25-Jan-2006, 12:13 AM #3
Yes.. its a dell laptop but I just got it for christmas so it should work on it, shouldn't it?
o.0 o.0 is offline o.0 has a Profile Picture
Member with 711 posts.

Experience: That place between 'here' and 'there'
25-Jan-2006, 12:32 AM #4
Well I had a dell and had the same problem. I posted on here as well and someone told me the new cd roms dell uses doesn't work like it should or something like that. They had a link for it to fix the problem. Maybe you can look on the dell website?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 275 posts.

Experience: Which key is the anykey?
25-Jan-2006, 05:04 AM #5
Have you tried copying the files to the hard drive and installing the game from there?

To copy the Sims 2 installation files to your hard drive:

1 - Go into My Computer.
2 - Open drive C.
3 - Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
4 - Name the folder as Disk Images (it is important that the name has a space in it).
5 - Open the disk images folder.
6 - Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
7 - Name this folder Disk1.
8 - Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for Disk2 and so on until there are 4 'Disk' folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.
9 - Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
10 - Go into My Computer.
11 - Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
12 - When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
13 - All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.
14 - Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk1 folder.
15 - Repeat steps 9 through 14 for the remaining disks until you have copied each disk into its appropriate folder.
16 - Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.
17 - Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.
18 - To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation is complete.

25-Jan-2006, 07:35 PM #6
Okay.. I tried copying all the files like you said but it got about half way through disk 1 and then something popped up saying it cannot copy compressed because of an I/O device error and then I just clicked okay and it stopped copying. I have no idea what this means. Am I just going to have to give up on sims?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Feb-2007, 01:25 AM #7
Unhappy same problem
I also tried to copy the entire disc onto my Dell.
Stopped at the compressed file. Then I tried to open and individually
copy each file but that still didn't work.
What was the link that worked for user "O.o"?
Should I contact dell to get that?
Computer Specs

23-Feb-2007, 05:32 AM #8
If you have another drive try installing the game using that. Otherwise try changing the transfer mode of your CD/DVD drive to PIO mode only.
Computer Specs

23-Feb-2007, 01:20 PM #9
Hi oliviabolivia, your post seem to have disappear.

Just to make it easier for other memebers to understand my post i'll paste it.
Quote:
How exactly do I do that? Is it under properties?
Sorry, I'm a bit new to fiddling about with my computer..
I'll try to but it's not easy explaining on a forum or any electronic medium for that matter.

Go back into device manager > click the + sign to expand the tree on DVD/CD-ROM drives > double click your DVD drive and it should give you the location. See picture 1.

Picture 1:

The Location for the device will either be 0 or 1.

Close that window > double click Primary IDE Channel > change the transfer mode of the corresponding device.

Location 0 = device 0 and location 1 = device 1. See picture 2.

Picture 2:

If the corresponding device is greyed out check the Secondary IDE Channel.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

02-Sep-2007, 11:37 PM #10
ok i am new so do know if this is how i ask a Q. but here it is
I have sims2 and i play it all the time but i it so i could eraser all the old games now i am trying to play it again but seasons will not autorun so i did what they said type E;/autorun what ever but it cant find the file so i open the file my self to auto run but something it wrong with it.... the file look like a wrong file not the autorun symbol it is supposed be and when i open it and click on the autorun in the file nothing click it like something messed with the files on the disk if anyone understands what i am talking about could you plz help me cuz i really liked the season game thanks much

Junior Member with 3 posts.

02-Sep-2007, 11:39 PM #11
if u have a answer for me u can also email it to sara_schweinsberg@yahoo.com thanks much

18-Nov-2007, 03:28 PM #12
where is the 'device manager' at?

18-Nov-2007, 04:25 PM #13
i've done everything that you said to do, but it still won't let me download. am i ever going to be able to play this game?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!