Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Graphics Problems

(!)

danskibee danskibee is offline   danskibee has a birthday soon!
Member with 155 posts.

06-Apr-2006, 06:55 PM #1
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Graphics Problems
Hey,

So I recently upgraded my graphics card, RAM and hard drive and so wanted to test a new game out on the system.

I have a problem with the graphics on Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I have the latest catalyst 6.3 drivers for my Radeon card but there's a weird problem when playing first starting the game, with the FMV/video sequence with the guy talking at the beginning. Only a top seqment of the screen (about 3inches wide) moves at real-time speed, whereas the bottom half, the left side moves slightly behind at something like 1 or 2 FPS and the right side of the bottom of the screen doesn't move at all, it just shows part of his body that was present at the start of the video sequence.

What the hell does that mean? I thought it might be due to vsync so I disabled that, but had no effect whether it was enabled or disabled. The rest of the game seems to work fine, the dungeon beginning part worked fine and without any problems, it just appears the title video appears to have problems

Ive tried with the official catalyst drivers and omega drivers, but neither makes a difference.

What else could be causing it?

Thanks.
Senior Member with 109 posts.

06-Apr-2006, 08:06 PM #2
Possibly the temps on your gfx card, maybe overheating, again you could re-install the game. Is Oblivion a good game? heard all good about it and will no doubt buy it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,050 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Apr-2006, 09:46 PM #3
May or may not help but make sure that if you have a joystick/gamepad connected, it must be disconnected. Oddly enought having a joystick connected, even if it is just sitting on the desk gathering dust, will cause graphic problems on many computers (mine for one). After that, I woul make sure that DirectX is up to date. Also a check of background programs to see if anything can be conflicting. You might also, after all else, uninstall and reinstall the game.
Member with 155 posts.

07-Apr-2006, 07:57 AM #4
I don't think it would be the graphics card overheating - it's brand new. I only put it in the PC yesterday and have no problems with any other part of the game, just the video sequence, so I doubt it's a physical problem with the graphics card.

I'll have to try a reinstall, but I doubt it'll make a difference. And I don't have anything connected to the PC apart from keyboard and mouse so no gamepad conflicts. And also have the latest drivers, directx and everything already for the system. Nothing seems to make a difference.
Member with 155 posts.

07-Apr-2006, 11:30 AM #5
Nope, a full uninstall and reinstall didn't work either. There's something definitely awry with my graphics somewhere but can't understand why. I've got plenty of RAM, CPU and graphics memory for the requirements.

Now, after my reinstall, it works even more sporadicly. I managed to get to New Game when I reinstalled, had the same problem with the opening video sequence, and then tried to quit when it got to the character design section and then just froze. The PC was still responding, but I had the Oblivion game stuck on my monitor screen. Had to do a hard reboot to get it to go away. Whats the deal? Will this game ever work properly?
Computer Specs
Member with 709 posts.

07-Apr-2006, 05:02 PM #6
Are there any patches for Oblivion yet? Go to the Oblivion folder from the start button, is there a "check for updates" button?
Member with 155 posts.

07-Apr-2006, 06:29 PM #7
Not at the moment, they have one in the making but it isn't released yet. I'm not sure what else to do. Everytime I uninstall and reinstall it keeps crashing and freezing on either the menu screen, the video or character screen. It's really annoying.
Member with 155 posts.

08-Apr-2006, 07:10 PM #8
Ok, I've given up reinstalling drivers, the game and other things. I'm just gonna have to leave it on my system until they make a fix for it. I've exhausted anything I can think of.

I don't want to go around messing around deleting codecs and things as some forums have suggested, if they can't work with the ones already installed they obviously need to do something about it - I've never known a game crash so much!

I'll go back to playing B&W 2 instead for a bit
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Apr-2006, 01:18 PM #9
problems with oblivion
I've been having problems intermittently with Oblivion (wonderful game -- all hail bethesda!). The main problem I have now is a half inch wide vertical green bar on the left hand side of the screen. It expands and contracts as though it's an indicator of hard drive usage or something. The green part gets short and long as I go through the game, but it never goes away. The bars on the left and right hand side of the green bar run from top to bottom of the screen, and are constant, no matter how long or short the green bar itself it. I've reinstalled the game twice already, cleanly (not an easy trick, btw) , but no change. It didn't have the green bar the first time I installed the game, but developed the bar sometime in the day after installing it.

I did just build the system, but it runs fine on everything else. No problems except Oblivion, and besides the green bar, I've only had a freezing problem after leaving the game running for several hours and coming back to it (not a huge surprise...)

Anybody else have that problem? I saw a ref to removing a gamepad if it was idle, and I just removed my Nostromo N52, which I wasn't yet using for Oblivion... More coming later, but for now, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Jordan
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 01:25 PM #10
Unhappy Same problem here
Hiya... I have the exact same problem. Oddly enough it ran fine the first time I ran the game (yesterday) but since today I have the exact same problem as you. Have reinstalled the drivers for my gfx card, and reinstalled the game. Still no joy. Again my pc is brand new (built it last week) and the spec should be more than enough to handle the game. I ran Dawn of War's intro sequence (which looks far more gfx intensive w/out any problems). Please post here if you discover a solution! Did you say the rest of the game functions fine and this only affects the intro cut scene?

Spec:
Athlon 65 3200+
1GB 3200 Ram
120GB 7200 HDD
GeForce 6600GT
Member with 155 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 02:48 PM #11
Well I managed to get the crashing problem sorted. I uninstalled the DivX player and codec and that appeared to fix the crashing and I can actually create a character and get through the first conversation with the emporer in the dungeon.

However, the intro cut scene with the emporor talking about his life is still messed up. Can only see the top 1/4 of the screen and the rest is just black. I hope it's not the same for any more movie sequences in the game, I don't know what happens in that intro one, the video was doing my head in only being able to see the top 1/4!

Glad I can at least play it though.
Computer Specs
Member with 13,935 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 04:52 PM #12
Hmmm, I have no problems running Oblivion. I do not know why. 1280x1024 everything cranked.

Ever think it might be hardware???
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
09-Apr-2006, 07:33 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skivvywaver
Hmmm, I have no problems running Oblivion. I do not know why. 1280x1024 everything cranked.
Really? At 1280x1024 I get a horribly slow moving mouse (not laggy, just slowwwww) that completely dissapeared at 1024x768
Computer Specs
Member with 709 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 09:52 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skivvywaver

Skivvy, IF you had a problem running ANY game cranked to the max with the rig you have I think you would be a little upset.

I finally picked the game up yesterday......WOW.....incredible graphics....the detail in this game is awesome........ Back to the topic.....

I have everything cranked as well @ 1280 x 1024 and I have not had any problems at all.

Other than the problems with the intro have you had any other problems? If not, and you say that all your other games run fine.....I would assume that it is a problem w/ the Intro movie.

You should keep playing, there is another cutscene, and see if you have the same problem there.

Last edited by acameron; 09-Apr-2006 at 09:57 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 13,935 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 07:40 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by acameron
Skivvy, IF you had a problem running ANY game cranked to the max with the rig you have I think you would be a little upset.
Maybe just a little torqued if something wouldn't run. I will be installing a 4400+ tomorrow. I do believe this rig is about topped out now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!