Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

World of Warcraft lag issues, help needed

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Aug-2006, 08:41 PM #1
World of Warcraft lag issues, help needed
Hello, since I had started playing WoW I have been experiencing lag spikes every 30 seconds or so that last for about 3-6 seconds. I was curious if this was just a WoW only problem so I tried playing counter strike and it was behaving the same way. I thought that this might have been caused by the fact that we have a wireless network. Four computers share the same DSL connection in my house, one of them being my computer downstairs and the other three upstairs. The router is located in my brothers room upstairs and he also playing WoW on a different account, he has told me that he experiences no lag. I tried searching for a solution and read that I should update the firmware to the router, I don't know if this will fix the problem since I have not done it yet. I was hoping to get a second opinion before I touched anything and any help in fixing this very very frustrating problem will be appreciated.

P.S.
I was not sure if this was supposed to be in the networking section or not so I put it here. If it should be in the networking section I apologize.
Computer Specs
Member with 12,638 posts.

Experience: Interemedial
14-Aug-2006, 08:45 PM #2
Are the lag spikes on regular intervals - 'like clockwork'? If it is, you might have a spyware problem.

14-Aug-2006, 08:49 PM #3
Yes they occur at regular intervals. They usually happen every 20-30 seconds and last for a few seconds.
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2006, 08:52 PM #4
I think you might want to look into a possible spyware problem first.

14-Aug-2006, 08:56 PM #5
Ok, I will do a full system scan with adaware and spybot s&d. If there is no change I guess I will be back soon . Thanks for the help if it does work.
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2006, 08:59 PM #6
Good luck. If it's just spyware, and you can remove it easy, you'll have saved some time.

16-Aug-2006, 12:20 PM #7
Looks like I'm back . I have done several scans and have found some spyware and had it all removed but I still cannot get rid of these lag spikes. I guess I should request this be moved to the networking forum since thats the only problem area still available?
svelay1983 svelay1983 is offline svelay1983 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 197 posts.

Experience: Something beyond most the people in High School.
16-Aug-2006, 04:04 PM #8
Did you start getting this after the patch? I started having the same problem. After telling my roommate to leave he took the router and ever since I have the normal lag around 7pm or so, but the interval lags are gone. So I would say it is possibly a problem with the router. Hope it helps you figure it out.
Clumbsy_Mage Clumbsy_Mage is offline Clumbsy_Mage has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 834 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2006, 04:15 AM #9
Try using Ewido Anti-spyware in addition to your other anti-spyware programs.
Junior Member with 7 posts.

17-Aug-2006, 07:10 AM #10
Wireless networks do generate lagg, but not monotonous clock like lagg .Spiked.
I have never played WoW, but there are a few things i can think of.
U might want to restore ur system to an earlier date when there was no lagg, take backup before u restore.
If that dont work, something must be wrong with ur config(.cfg) file, which store ur settings like name and binds which u have set for keyboard and mouse buttons. example Space = jump...
So i recommend u copy ur brothers config and replace it with urs. but do take a backup of ur orignal config.
im think there must be console commands in WoW for fps(frames per second), Maxpackets, and rate (at which data transfers), and snaps if any.
Are u and ur brother able to get on the same server at the same time?
Do not run messangers and other chat programs, also exit xfire or AllSeeying Eye if u have em before playing.
Also chk WoW forums and Websites for Lagg solutions. Im sure ull find a command list/bindlist/server cmds/audio cmds/ video cmds there.
Will post if i can think of more.
Clumbsy_Mage Clumbsy_Mage is offline Clumbsy_Mage has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 834 posts.

17-Aug-2006, 07:21 AM #11
To view your FPS in WoW press: CTRL+R

Intermittent lag is usually caused by data being accessed by the hard drive in the background, an obvious solution to this would be to reduce the amount of programs you have running.

A clever idea would be to post a Hijackthis log into the security subforum and allow an expert to examine it.
Member with 87 posts.

17-Aug-2006, 10:14 AM #12
i play world of warcraft too. You can have several problems :
1.your pc is too old( how much ram do you have? 256mb or more?)
2.you are bugged post HJT and all the stuff the ppl mentioned here.
3.Your graphics card is out of date?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 208 posts.

17-Aug-2006, 01:56 PM #13
Post you're computer specs, so we can get a better look at what could be causing the problems. When you say "lag", are you refering to an FPS drop? or is you're ping meter ingame skyrocketing and everyone around you is going crazy. A router may effect ping ingame, but not likely to control how you're FPS will act.

17-Aug-2006, 10:17 PM #14
It is not an fps problem. It is due to high ping and every 25-30 seconds everything just stops and I can't control my character. I also doubt this is being caused by adaware because I just recently had an expert examine my Hijackthis log in the security forum.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 208 posts.

18-Aug-2006, 02:48 PM #15
Then try plugging into the modem or router through you're ethernet port. Is it still lagging?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!